Personal View site logo
Nikon AI(S) vs Canon FD for Video (GH2, GH1)?
  • 30 Replies sorted by
  • @feha Appreciate your posting, but it is a little off topic. We are concerned with *comparisons* between the two.
  • The most used focal lengths will be in the normal lens range (20-28mm) and the portrait telephoto (35-40ishmm). 50mm focal length is of relatively limited value to me on m4/3, as it's a sort of odd telephoto length (100mm equivalent on 35mm photography).

Part of what I'm curious about is the whole issue of lens **"color rendition"**. I'm guessing that even with white balance there will be a difference among lenses in terms of how saturated certain colors are, whether some colors are tinted one way rather than another, etc. Can anyone point out some good reads on this?

Also curious about getting knowledgable about **contrast ratio** in lenses.
  • @Grue
    the nikkor 50mm 1.8 AI-s is a really great lens. And actually it is much better than the nikkor 1.4 which is much softer but has an extra stop for lowlight. I own the nikkor 50mm F1.2 AI-S which is of course much more expensive than others but it's worth it for me as it's very versatile. It is insanely sharp at f4 like your nikkor 1.8, it is good in lowlight at 1.4 but it's coolest feature is that it is absolutely unbeatable by any of the nikkors at f1.8 up until f3. It is the sharpest nikkor lens at F2 ever made and I love it. Generally nikkors are really great and all the lenses I get , I get in nikon mount as it's very versatile. you can easily use it with canon bodies, nikon, M4/3, and any other mount.
  • This is a comparison I'd be interested in seeing...

After getting my GH2 a few months ago, the price difference had become small enough in some cases that I actually ended up going the Nikon route instead of the Canon FD route, and I don't regret it. I picked up a Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI-s off of eBay for ~$60, and more recently I was lucky enough to find a practically pristine 28mm f/2.8 AI-s off of Craigslist for just $150. Though highly subjective, I'm amazed at their sharpness and color rendition.

Probably not a big deal, but it may be worth noting that functionally, Nikon lenses focus "backwards" to infinity comparison to other lenses as far as I know.
  • In reality it is a matter of opening. The old optical lenses Nikon equals current canon.