Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Nikon AI(S) vs Canon FD for Video (GH2, GH1)?
  • 30 Replies sorted by
  • @tetakpatak

We definitely will need to move most of this info into FAQs wiki.

• Recently I did some quick&dirty testing on several nikkor push/pull zooms. Worth mentioning:

• the 80-200 f4.5 tetakpatak already perfectly described (this lens' ring was loose indeed). Big lens, not as heavy as it would suggest, 1.8m minimum focus distance, parfocal with one ring's advantages and disadvantages... easy to go out of focus when zooming carefree. The sharpest and richer in contrast of them all, about 200º focus throw

• a more recent 100-300 f5.6, though falling to the dark side and a bit heavy, parfocal and macro ability (1:44). The one with less CAs (5.6), seemed sharp through range wide open, didn't spend much time with it

• an E 75-150 mm f/3.5, though strange and smallish x2 range, Its bokeh is by far the one I liked the most. The lens itself is quite small and very very light, 1m minimum focus distance. Parfocal and sharp wide open through the range. Dunno if 'cause of the copy coating but this lens produced quite some CAs (mostly green) Also a substantial 200º focus throw

BTW Big thanks @tetakpatak for a very comprehensive list... on BOTH brands!!! =)

• The best value for a Nikon lens for use with video on GH2 is the 35mm f2.8 Ais.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/35mmnikkor/35mmf28.htm

I got my excellent condition copy for $100 Canadian, and would pay more if I have to replace it. Like all Ais Nikon's I will only have to replace it if it's stolen or lost.

The reasons it's the best value for video are distortion and chromatic abberations, the aspects of a lens that can be fixed fairly easily in post for photos but are so much more painful/undesirable when editing video. There are basically none of either with this lens. Even in the worst case, shooting a halogen light making a sharp shadow across white snow towards the corner of the frame at night, the line shows almost no colour.

The 35mm is sharp, nearly all across the frame on the GH2 from f2.8 on, it gets sharper in the corners stopping down, down to about f8-11. It's an ideal portrait/talking head focal length as well. I can put it on the pocket, move back a step and it'll serve the same purpose.

I also own the 75-150mm Series E @maxr mentions. not sure what the differences are between our copies, but mine shows purple fringing that can be distracting but the other aspects are the same. It's as good optically as the ubiquitous Series E 50mm, except for the fringing. The 35mm 2.8 Ais is light years ahead, but the E series 50mm might be the next best value Nikon for the GH2, especially if you want to go as light as it can get.

• Hey, thanks @maxr, it was pleasure, mate ;-)

Sorry I somehow missed your post. I'm recently quite involved in the KitKat development, so I'm more to find on the XDA forum than here.

BTW, I was considering to enlarge our wiki list with few more, recent Nikkor lenses, some are really great. But in general not so handsome like the old good ones :)

• Hi there, just a heads up =)

@tetakpatak enlarge, enlarge!!! ,-)

Though I thought "I'm done with push pull motherfuckas", sometime ago I end up adopting the sentimental grandpa Nicasio aka nikkor AI 80-200 f4.5 at a relatively cheap cost: 40€

Despite it had all possible diseases, from arthritis to parkinson and a loose prostrate, from all push-pulls I've tried is the easiest to maintain (para)focus. Add to this solid metal construction and a real nice fat 200º throw focus ring (almost as nice as vivi 70-210) and we're half set to give grandpa Nicasio a chance.

But there was something very irritating, the squeaking and the beyond mourning, also the ring wasn't as loose as I would like, probably lack of lub. Glass had an ecosystem of it's own too :P Black tape strips just gagged the issues.

So today finally I put hands on it and amazingly didn't kill the bastard, quite opposite, declicked it (very easy actually), lubbed and clean each element. But, as I never take pictures or do schematics, assembled it wrong, ja ja ja, inverting 3rd and 4th element or something like that. Luckilly we have internet, so a quick look at the blueprints and that was it.

So all this mambojambo is to encourage other pater familias to give grandpas a chance.
    If I could make it anyone can, even an one-armed blind zombie on crak!!!

Now grandpa Nicasio want to go dancing and get women... Jezuz give-me the strength!!!
    One of these days I'll post some samples of the rampage =)

PS
    BTW As Christian mentions here front screws are superman proof, so get titanium tool made by german atomic bunker constructor, eat well (maybe your last meal) and don't jerk off as you'll need it all before attempting anything image

nikk_80-200f4.5.jpg
    1050 x 1100 - 190K