Personal View site logo
FD Canon to m43 adapters topic
  • Could not find a dedicated thread on this..so starting a new one :)

I have seldom used a FD lens before but I have two lenses on order in FD mount (One Vivitar 55mm 2.8 macro and a Tokina 28-80 A27). I was wondering what will be the best FD lens adapter for m4/3. I hear a lot of good things about this Poland made one..

http://myworld.ebay.com/ciecio7/

His expedited shipping charges are a bit steep and there is no information on tracking facility or delivery times. I am hesitating because of that. Any other good ones which guarantees infinity focus?

Thanks

• 37 Replies sorted by
  • Just basically lost a Novoflex due to it getting stuck onto an Adaptall lens. Recommend not using Adaptalls with these unless you're willing to make a sacrifice.

• I bought a fotodiox as a temporary solution, thinking I'd get a ciecio7 later. I never bought the ciecio7. I bought two more fotodiox's instead.

• The problem I have with my «Fotodiox-type» cheap FD adapter is that the hole on the adapter which matches the pin of the m43 bayonet is too large, resulting in a bit of twisting play. The adapter simply doesn't sit tight enough in the bayonet. This doesn't affect image quality but still is an inconvenience.

• I think you might have Canon FD mount confused with Nikon F, the Canon FD adapters all (should) use the lens's aperture/iris ring.

FWIW I've been using the Ciecio7 FD adapter for almost 3 years, I have two of them, both with the support foot. The support foot does interfere with the AF100 m43 mount but the foot is easily removed with a metric allen wrench. When using the support foot on the GH2 you only need to slightly depress the camera mount button to clear the support foot, I often use the support foot with primes when I'm using a full matte-box/ff rig because I can achieve a more secure mount on the base plate than with using the pathetic GH2 tripod socket.

• Does this adapter allow the use of the actual aperture ring on the adapter? Most adapters just have a slide with no accurate witness marks.

• Seems the most popular FD adapters are from Fotodiox(low), Cieco7(med), and Novoflex(high). I went w/ the Novoflex and very happy with it! Use it w/ both my GH2 and AF100.

• @itimjim Yeah, but didn't want to get scratches on my cam. Replaced the screw and sunk the hole (like the 2 above), now works like a charm.

• @xntrggr @ Vitaliy_Kiselev can you provide a photograph of this little slit on the adapter that you pry open with a screwdriver to make the mount fit more tightly?

• It should be mentioned the allen screws used for his mounts are regular M3, which are very easy to find, so my tips is to get a flatter to anyone with a ciecio adapter. You'll get a few for about a buck...

• @markus_b had the same issue, but if you press down and twist, it will clear. Well it does on mine, but it's very tight.

• A word of warning if you get the Canon FD to m4/3 adapter WITH support from ciecio7. The allen screws stick out of the machined baseplate and interfere with the lens release button of the GH2, so you can't mount it. You'll have to get rid of the left allen screw during mounting it to the camera.

Otherwise the adapter is top notch, if you want to use some crazy heavy lenses and are afraid they'll break the GH2 lens mount :)

• I can highly recommend Novoflex. Expensive but rock solid.

• Re: ciecio 7 - I also can vouch for a) build quality is tank-like and precise and b) he's a top chap - when a Lomo of mine snagged and sheared a part on his £180 adapter - he didn't just send me a new part he immediately sent me a new adapter, which arrived in days - top service.

• Anyone speak polish? The reason I ask is I have been trying to contact Cieco7 for some time about ordering a lens. Although the order system is simple enough, my problem is that I am in Japan and doing the IBAN transfer (paypal is not an option for me) will cost me about $30 extra thanks to Japans banking policy's. I simply want to send the man cash in the mail, but he never responds to emails... I assume because he doesn't read english.. though I suppose it could be his way of saying no... but that's hard to imagine. Anyhow if anyone could help it would be appreciated.

• @xntrggr Medium effective only. My Minolta PG Rokkor 50mm 1.4 was less 'dreamy' than the Nikkor from the start. I think the problem is not only vagabonding light inside the adapter, but the fact that a sensor (or it's OLPF) is much more reflective than the emulsion of analog film. BTW, this can be quite nice for portrait. 50mm seems to be more prone to this than other lengths.

@airboxlights (and the rest) One alternative are adapters with their own little tripod plate. They exist for FD too, I found mine for MC/MD here: http://stores.ebay.de/jiakgong-DIGITAL?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Once you make the connection tight enough with the method described by xntrggr it won't wiggle any more. IMHO you can hang you GH2 to the adapter, it's light enough. Otherwise it might be difficult to adjust the height.

• @nomad ahh, Tamiya model car shops. I have one in my neighbourhood, will drop by and get a small pot. Thanks for the advice. You said it made your Nikkor less dreamy wide open, is this a very observable effect?

• I have a Fotasy FD adapter from Rainbowimaging on ebay..$20.99 delivered and very happy with it.

• If you want to paint interiors of your adapter or lens mount pitch black, don't use markers, they leave a speckled and shiny black on metal and might even come off in small chips. There is a deep black paint from a Japanese company called "Tamiya", normally used for model airplanes and such, which is perfect for this. It helped my Nikkor 50mm 1.4 quite a bit, which was getting very 'dreamy' wide open. Not cheap, but you won't need more than one small pot ever…

• ciecio7 makes the best FD-m43 adapters but if you're looking for something cheaper, fotodiox is fine too. If you find that your cheap FD adapters are getting loose in the mounts, look at the metal mounts on the adapter. There should be a small slit sandwiched by metal. Use a small screwdriver to slightly pry the slit bigger. This will make your adapter fit much better and eliminate movement in the mount. Careful though, use trial and error and don't pry open the slits too much. All my adapters now fit really well with no play and I just buy a few and leave them on my lenses.

Also there's a technique to reduce internal reflections in the adapter which some people say create ghosting in the image. They take a black marker and colour the internal metal parts of the adapter. I've not done this because I haven't had a problem with ghosts in my image.

It's normal if the adapters focus past infinity, just make sure to keep that in mind when you're shooting landscapes at infinity focus, I've made this mistake once before and it's frustrating.

• Just to allow for tolerances and heat expansion, I think most manufacturers go a little bit beyond infinity. I've even seen this in original mounts with MF lenses. Better than not getting to infinity at all, I suppose…

• Have the one from ciecio7, same issue, don´t now if it is normal with FD lens, someone from Novoflex users have the same with FD lenses?

• just to ask, i have one ciecio7-made and one anonymous-made FD adapters, but with both i get a little bit over infinity focus. I mean infinity it's not at the end of the run of the focus but a little before. It's normal with FD lens? It's the same for you?

• With all cheap adapters (and I mean anything below Novoflex or MTF!) the problem is huge variation in product samples. You may just be lucky or catch a lemon!

That's the reason opinions differ that much…

• I have a fotodiox EF to m4/3 and it is as tight and sturdy as a native m4/3 mount.

• Fotodiox is perfect...I can't believe you guys payed 50 bucks or more for an ADAPTER! Fotodiox is cheap, very well built, and works great.