Personal View site logo
Sony Vegas 12 Topic
  • 37 Replies sorted by
  • The trimmer can be useful if you've got long clips -- as in a symphony recording. Dragging a long clip into the timeline can make a big mess if your intention it to only use a few seconds of the clip for a cutaway or something like that. Certain kinds of projects don't require using the trimmer very much though. Just depends.

• I also read that if not using a pro television monitor with the blackmagic intensity, is best to use a quality LCD/LED screen through DVI (not HDMI) and calibrate it the colors instead with a Spyder 3 Pro or Color Munki Pro. *DVI because it seems that one can load profiles into the video card with DVI but have no effect through HDMI.

• My guess is there's too much data being handled by the GPU/CPU, because (I'm going to guess again) you are previewing on a second monitor at fullscreen. A firewire device (I have an older Pyro AV Link, an ADVC 100 works too) with s-video/rca outputs to a real CRT/LCD tv should do the job.. and if you want to get fancy and really edit like a pro, then there's black magic http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

• Oh no. Im using a LCD monitor. So i select windows graphic card. hmmm

• @flyguy Have you selected "OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394/DV" as your preview device?

• hey guys. thanks for the reply. Hmm. i dont think its related to my hardware. I tried the same setup on my i7 laptop and it is the same. Could you test the scenario for me on your vegas?

In "Video Preview", click on Video Preview on External Monitor/ ALT+SHIFT+4 Then drag any clip into trimmer. Notice it being slow?

Now uncheck the Video Preview on External Monitor/ ALT+SHIFT+4 Drag a clip into trimmer It instantly loads.

My desktop is a quad core 2.4ghz 8gb RAM GTX260 while my laptop is a i7 2.4ghz 4gb RAM GT540 and both have the same problem. How bout you guys?

P.S: I love Vegas too. Its the best NLE. Simple, straight to the point.

• Yeah I typically edit in the timeline if I'm dealing with nicely done takes.. but when its 1 roll on an entire event like conference footage etc.. yeah I edit clips out of it in the trimmer.. have not had any issues, and just did this extensively on a project a few months ago, 3.4 Terrabytes of video from a 4 day long conference, every "clip" was at a minimum 2 hours long everything encoded at 100kbps ... with file sizes for a 2.5 hour clip at over 100gb a file.. damn right I edited clips the trimmer.

Didn't have any slow down issues related to the trimmer.

• One of the main reasons to use the trimmer is if you need to create a lot of clip marker and sub-clips.

For instance, when you're doing a music video where you are picking out the best alternatives for a given movement, etc. it can be a little faster to use markers, subclips and bin sorting with the trimmer than the timeline.

It's the little things, like the way a naming dialog box pops up after you click "create sub-clip" in the trimmer, but doesn't in the timeline. Or the way that the marker focus is clip specific as opposed to for the general timeline.

There may be configuration options to change these things, but I'm just talking about default behavior.

Also, if you're coming from a program like ClipWrap or VirtualDub, it's a more direct analog to the interface you are used to (but I used Premiere before any of the above so that was a non-issue for me).

If your editing is more straightforward, there may not be much point in using the trimmer.

• same here as @Mark_the_Harp i never ever use it, what is the advantage?

• I love Vegas. Must confess I've never seen the point of the trimmer, so don't use it, editing on the timeline instead. Seems to cut out an unneeded step. Is that an option?!

• I edit in Vegas, ever day, all day.. I cant say I've had any issues like that, just went from 10 to 11 also.. nothing like that in either of them.. What is your NLE rig like, may be lack of memory or hardware related.. I know at home my NLE rig was crashing (blue screens) when editing , it was a video card driver issue that started with a update from the card manufacture, Updated to the next version and it went away.