Personal View site logo
SanDisk Extreme SDHC Cards
  • 437 Replies sorted by
  • @redpaw, it's not (only) about what the card can do via your computer. You'll have to, for sure, what it can do in the camera. I've seen far too many "it should work, but it doesn't" I'm not counting on these kind of tests anymore.
    @balazer, why would Sandisk make it easy...pff. Forget about my attempt. I'm curious to know whether the 45MB/sec version 'of Rawb' is any good, or we'll have to trade cards with somebody on some market...

• Not to' hijack the thread but in a tom's hardware benchmark posted here the Kingston performed better than sandisk. Is there Someone Who tested them against sandisk on a gh2?

• This is the benchmark I was speaking about.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sdxc-sdhc-uhs-i,2940-12.html

I don't know if computer test are useful to understand GH2 compatibility but I see that these Sandisk have a minimum write speed of 800KB. Maybe this could cause occasional write speed errors or spanning errors when GH2 IO buffers get full. From this benchmarks seems that the Kingston perform better on min write speed. Again, who knows if these test are useful in some way...

• in reference to sandisk extreme SDHC I @45MB/s

i had ordered from J&R a 32GB extreme HD video @30MB/s and i received the new card mentioned above. my first reaction was to look on sandisk website - it's not mentioned. so i call sandisk and ask - they told me it's a replacement for the 30mb/s, fairly new, so not on the website yet. anyway, i did register my card on the phone, giving the serial# etc...

now, i just formatted the card in camera: GH2 with driftwood aquamotion v.2 - 24H cinema - poped a 35mm/2 nikkor and press record, camera sitting on my desk, but jerking it from time to time, changing focus... anyway. i stop recording after 34 minutes. no problem. span worked. see pix for results.

34 minutes_span.JPG
    634 x 274 - 51K
    mediaInfo.jpg
    677 x 961 - 116K
    GH2screen.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 513K
    sandisk extreme 32GB_45MB_s.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 575K
  • Thanks for your test result, touviere7. It's a very useful point of reference to know that the Extreme 45 MB/s card spans with Aquamotion v2 (88 Mbps GOP1). That would suggest it's at least as fast (for our purposes) as the HD Video 30 MB/s cards.

The next most useful things to know would be whether it spans at 146 Mbps GOP1 (Reaquanted, Seaquake), and whether it spans at 100 Mbps GOP3. (I can supply settings to test that. Flow Motion is VBR, and so not a good test subject if you don't know how to induce a certain bit rate.)

• Yeah - I'm also curious to know more about spanning on these new SanDisk Extreme [non-"Pro"] 45MB/s cards - was thinking of getting one since they are cheaper than the 95MB/s.

• @balazer The card RawB posted is indeed the non-pro version but its not the HDVideo version I was talking about. RawB's the same as the one touviere7 posted above but the one I'm talking about is this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/828326-REG/SanDisk_SDRX3032GA21_32GB_SDHC_Memory_Card.html

Notice the HDVideo label, like the old 30MB/s version but it is now 45MB/s. I should be getting my 45MB/s card tonight so I'll run a few tests. Which one I will get though is still a mystery :)

It seems like there are possibly 3 different 45MB/s cards.

1. The old Extreme Pro which is now discontinued. This was not so hot.
    2. The one RawB/touviere7 posted. Still unknown as to whether it will perform.
    3. The one in the BH link above. Again unknown.

The insides of all 3 could be identical but with different labels. It seems SanDisk is releasing the 95MB/s and renaming the old Pro (45MB/s) cards to HDVideo and dropping the slower cards. Previously the Pro line was 45MB/s and HDVideo was 30MB/s so everything is being shuffled along as it were.

Slightly off topic but what are the "recommended settings" to stress a card out with? I plan on seAQuake with v1.0e FW. I'll probably be shooting a screen of random colour noise since I have no idea where to get a death chart or which the "best" death chart is.

• i have a feeling that stores have not updated the pix on their website yet - J&R was showing the old HDvideo 30mb/s one. they sent me the 45 MB/s extreme. i'm curious to see what B&H is sending.

• Would be nice writing down part numbers to identify these cards...

The B&H card part number is SDSDRX3-032G-A21

• update: sorry for getting people confused ;/ the previous test was performed through sd card reader that was plugged into usb port... so when i thought more about it i realized that that is probably the bottle neck, and its not the cards fault. so did another one using express card port and sxs adapter and now transcend class10 reaches ~20,5MB/s average and sandisk extreme 30MB/s reaches 29.5MB/s average. that's more like it!

• i did another test with my new sandisk extreme 45MB/s mentioned above, in a GH2 , this time trying FSH (30i) with my same driftwood aquamotion v.2, but now with a pany zoom in autofocus, and the card span as well - getting 15:38 per block of 3.99GB. but with 24H, i was getting about 6:40 per block.

• Hi, please tell me, if I summarize this thread correctly for my case:

I bought 2x SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Cards, 32GB 95MB/s (SDSDXPA-032G-x46)

I gather: - They will be fast enough for everything that @Driftwood and @Lpowell currently come up with. - The only problem seems to be spanning large takes after 4 minutes which works better (or only??) on the 64GB cards of the same type.

Thanks! I hope I won´t have to return them...

• @JackBayer I have that exact card. It handles driftwood's stuff just fine but no spanning (other than Quantum v2 which does span, but avg's about 88Mb/s) Never had a failure, or lock-up, or crash. Sometimes audio playback in camera is choppy, but no corruption. Plays fine on computer.

I also have a 16GB version as well, to use while dumping the other card, and audio on all Quantum versions is choppy in cam, but fine in file.

64GB version needed for spanning on HBR patches. (by HBR I mean over 100Mb/s. Not the general definition, just my definition, because it is over 100 that you begin to see the fine grain, and superior image quality on a consistant basis that we are all looking for in our footage. This is only speaking form my experience and is not the definitive word on the subject) My current stand-by is still Quantum v9b, haven;t had time to test other versions, and 9b works and works very well.

• OK, so I got my 45MB/s card. Its the same as the RawB/touviere7 one :)

I first ran it through CrystalDiskMark and got the numbers in the screenshot. Done using a USB3.0 reader...

Then I loaded up seAQuake with v1.0 FW, stuck the camera on a tripod and aimed it at my monitor where I had a program I made which displays a stupid fast kaleidoscope effect using the "stray color chart 2" death chart in the link above as the texture.

I tried displaying the chart on my screen as a static image and jerking the camera around but the kaleidoscope produced a slightly higher average bitrate before killing my class 4 card so I think the kaleidoscope is more stressful... and I don't have to sit at the PC wobbling my camera all the time ;)

So I let the camera record on these settings:

Minolta Rokkor M-mount 40mm/f2 lens 24H/Cinema movie mode 1/25s shutter Manual exposure Tungsten WB Auto ISO Smooth -2-2-2-2 i.DR etc were off

It produced a 4GB file before dying, so no spanning. However it seems to cope with seAQuake fine under the spanning limit.

I also attached a stream parser shot for those interested.

So in conclusion it seems like its a worthy replacement for the 30MB/s so far. It will need more testing with other settings though to see if it is consistently stable.

I'll try other settings patches when I get some time and post my results here.

45MBs_San_Ex_Bench.jpg
    416 x 379 - 211K
    seAQuake_45MBs_San_Ex.jpg
    1314 x 641 - 553K
  • Would love to see more sumo! It's unfortunate it's not able to span, but was the 30MB/sec version able to span? Or don't you have a 30MB/sec version?

• @Shian

So the cam just stops recording when the file size of the current clip reaches 4GB? But the resulting clip is allright, or should I stop before that (@ below approx. 4 minutes clip length) ?

• @WarrantyVoided Nope, the only reported spanning card is the 64GB Extreme Pro 95MB/s. The 30MB/s version also seemed to go up to 4GB no problem so so far its the equal of the 30MB/s. I don't have the 30MB/s so I can't do any comparisons but I will try and get some more tests done. Anyone got any requests? :)

@JackBayer The camera will automatically stop recording after it hits 4GB in size on some patches. The recorded file will be fine. The crazy high bitrate patches driftwood puts out only seem to span on the 64GB card. His new Quantum X stuff seems to be all over the place right now. Still lots of tweaking being done.

• @JackBayer Yeah it just stops recording, kind of like the old roll-outs when shooting film and hitting the end of the roll. We've started calling it a roll-out on set cuz our seasoned film actors are used to that term when having to stop for that reason. But the files are fine. (And the actual cutoff time on 9b is 3:56)

• Awesome, thanks for clearing that up for me @shian and @sumo!

• to compare the test from @sumo, here are my findings with the new extreme 45Mbps card, using a SIIG card reader, usb3.

sandisk extreme 45 mbps.JPG
    572 x 462 - 64K
    sandisk extreme 45Mbps.JPG
    414 x 370 - 45K
  • So I loaded up driftwood's Orion and it was fine but no spanning. Test conditions the same as my post above with seAQuake. Seems consistent with reports from the 30MB/s users. I think the new 45MB/s should be a reliable replacement for the 30MB/s. I'll test some other patches later to make sure spanning works too.

• This is my first post. First of all, I want to say thank you for all your work. I will buy a GH2 in the next few weeks, but in the meantime I've read a lot about hack, settings and cards. I knew about "spanning problem", so I wanted to immediatly buy the Sandisk HD Video 30 MB/s Class 10 32gb and I've bought it on 1st March on Amazon.it (IT it's for ITALY). Price: 43€. Today 5th March I was very disappointed when I saw that this card arrived: a Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s Class 10 32gb. But then I read about the tests of sumo and touviere7 and I started to breath again, because you say it's reliable. I can't try this card, I'll buy the GH2 in the next few weeks, but I want to show you the photos of the front and the back of the box, where there is the code, and say you what possibly will happen when you buy a HD Video 30MB/s Class 10 32gb card now.

So, I hope that's a sort of help. Thank you. p.s. I hope my beeing a Mario isn't problem for the understanding of this post!

SNC00996.jpg
    480 x 640 - 99K
    SNC00997.jpg
    480 x 640 - 99K
  • Yes, that is the card I have. My supplier told me that it has the same manufacturer code as the 30MB/s but it doesn't. Its a different code as JackBayer mentions above. It seems just fine for me so far.

• I ordered the recommended card, Extreme HD Video 32GB 30MB/s at the end of February and got the same as telefoninomac, touviere7 and sumo (Extreme 32GB 45 MB/s - SDSDX-032G-X46). I read here that it should perform the same as the older HD Video cards but not tested yet in every situation. What do You guys recommend to do with it, send it back (within a week), get money back and try to purchase the old one, or unbox what i have now and start to use it? Thank You!