Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 1: v3b Rocket - v4b Orion - v5 β Pictoris
  • 1019 Replies sorted by
  • For some reasons In after effects a video shot with cinema 24p will render much more faster than HBR 25p. I mean really Faster! I am also frustrated because i need to shoot in 25p and the cinema 24p mode looks way better than HBR with QUANTUM X ORION and supports better with grading.

Any thoughts on this @driftwood also will HBR match Cinema 24p anytime soon?

• @JDN thanks dude, that answered some lingering questions I had.

Which flavor of Quantum do you find yourself using on set? Does the L mode quality on Orion compare to Rocket when I need something that will span?

• Problem with Orion?

• Still wondering if anyone else uses AVID and what import settings they use for 'i-frame only'... I usually use one of the 10-bit settings and that's probably overkill.

What was strange was that on my card(Patriot 32gig class10) I spanned outside, but at the end I (tried) to shoot some footage inside at 1250iso and I had to switch down and shoot at 24L.

@tinbeo if you bring data files into Adobe Premiere Pro you don't have to transcode, i.e. Final Cut Pro or AVID MC, so I just brought them into PP and just saved screenshots, but if it was a real project I'd transocde using AVID MC.

You can also use Media Player Classic(free download) and hit ALT+i to save an image.

• @Luca_Luk 1080i also froze up on me after a few seconds. 720p HS was distorted but 720 H was fine.

• @Luca_luk & @islanders66 what shutter speed are you using?

• I have use the "standard" 50 value ...

• Try 25 and see if it still crashes.

• With 25, with 1080i setting, the clip is more "strobo"! I can't use the 1080i setting with shutter at 25 ... Tomorrow, I try with 25, but it isn't a good solution ... Thanks

• The lower the shutter speed the less frames are recorded; thus if it worked it would mean you need a faster memory card to record at a higher frame rate.

• @re9d i'm on avid mc6.01 and unfortunately i'm not able to link the clips with ama - seems to be an audio issue (even with basic pana 1.1 firmware). i usually import by transcoding to dnxhd xxx depending on frame rate and mb/sec of original clips. the 10bit settings are very good (and heavy too). great for short projects anyway.

• @Driftwood. First of all let me also thank you, Vitalie, cbrandon, LPowell and others for your tireless work. Your 24p GOP1 patches are amazing. I know you are a GOP1 guy but past few months have showed that 720p60 and 1080i60 are not suited for GOP1. You finally got around that problem with a new 720p60 GOP6 setting that works and looks good. Isn't it time to do the same for 1080i60? because if you raise the bit rate high, it ends up in write errors, if you reduce the bit rate it becomes noisy. Cheers.

• Driftwood Quantum X (v4 Orion) CBR - 720p50 after switching from 24H, ISO1600, ETC mode, shutter speed 100, 30MBs SanDisk Extreme HD Video.

• Locked camera up, speed limitation error. Had to remove battery. Restarted camera tried again on the same scene locked up again.
  • ETc mode typically can use upto 20m+ extra bitrate, I am experimenting with a few additional settings s(o that we dont lose 150m on 24p and adjusting 720 likewise) on Orion and Rocket to see if we can stabilise Etc.

• @Zaven its easy to do you a long gop setting, bkmcwd is doing one to cover Hbr but it will mean no intra on 24p

• Import quantum Intra stuff into an AVC Intra timeline.

• I just recorded a six minute clip with the Orion v4 settings on 64gb SDXC card:

No problems in the recording operation, it won't play back in camera, the clip is one 6 minute clip – it did not break up (I'm guessing it'd have to go longer to need to span).

In FCP7, it imported correctly with no problems.

• How many gigs did the 6 minutes eat up, Kingmixer?

• I would be satisfied with ETC mode working in Quantum X AVCHD-I 100/50 :)

• Some quick tests with v4 Orion in 25p mode.

• 24P is amazing. I just wish I could run 720 HS smoothly. The image was kind of patchy in some areas, although it was a very difficult test on the marsh with wind and brush and branches all blowing around. The 720 H worked, but the sharpness isn't quite as good as 24P. If it were just a little sharper it would be perfect. The only lens I have today is the 14 2.5. The card is a San Disk Extreme SDHC UHS I 45mbs. Hope this helps. If you need to see any test footage let me know and I'll post it. This is very nice progress!

Oh, yeah, ETC worked in both modes 24P H and 720 H.

• @Cosimo It looks like the MTS file in the camera is 4.3gb. It imported into FCP fine. I just shot a couple minutes on L instead of H and it played back in the camera fine.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions