Personal View site logo
GF2 Stable Settings
  • 614 Replies sorted by
  • Yeap. High bitrate gives less mud and solves some technical obstacles. That's all.

• Please stop using the word "video-ish". Those who achieved film-look carefully observed each steps and improved them.

• GOP1 on GF2.... I wouldn't expect very good details. I don't think it can match to image quality of 0.8MB I-frame from the 32Mbps AQ4 GOP15 for static wide angle. I don't think GOP1 is good other than 24p mode at extremely high bitrate.

• @raz
    Go and shoot something.

camcorderinfo.com tests are really fucked up considering many things and models.

• @holmes6, the 1080 of the gf2 actualy gives worse sharpness compared to the 720 of the gf1. It was tested. So this why I belive the gf2 doesn't actualy record 1080 even if the specs say so. In fact, I find the image bad even for 720p. As a comparation, even an iphone (and I hate apple) has higher video sharpness than the gf2 !? So somehow, the panasonic enginners f...d it. On purpose or not. My guess is they knew what they were doing, why deliver the same video resolution and detail on a 200 euro camera compared to a 700 or even higher (their pro line).

The GF2 produced a horizontal sharpness of 500 lw/ph and vertical sharpness of 525 lw/ph in our testing. This is a bit of a step down from the GF1, which recorded 575 lw/ph across the board. [....] iPhone 4S managed a horizontal sharpness of 625 lw/ph and a vertical sharpness of 575 lw/ph.

From camcorderinfo.com

• "My opinion is that the gf2 isn't really filming HD in the first place"

It's a technical spec and not an opinion, and you're wrong

• @vitaliy, I replied to videohq , he said: " I'm not exactly happy with how wide shots look like "

• @raz

This is exactly what I discovered too.

This is answer to whom?

• This is exactly what I discovered too. The Gf2 produces very soft and without detail video. Lack of detail pisses me off, is like filming with a VGA camcorder and then upampling to 1080. Even with the quantum X v3 rocket I couldn't get sharp video of a landscape for example. The footage from GH2 in comparation is immensely sharper. My opinion is that the gf2 isn't really filming HD in the first place, I may be wrong but even a Canon HD camcorder that shoots on tape in hdv and has a tiny sensor, is A LOT SHARPER than the gf2.

• @driftwood Hmmm... it's true that this is the first time I've dealt with 30 pSf in Premiere Pro (I've been spoiled with native 24p on the GH2 and 5D2), but I had assumed that manually setting each clip to conform to no fields (progressive scan) in the Interpret Footage window would do the trick. Clipwrap is not an option for me (I'm on a PC), but I wouldn't have thought something like that would be necessary.

Thanks for the advice, though. I'll be testing out Rocket v3 on GF2 next and will report back. I'm absolutely thrilled with the Quantum settings on my GH2, and am excited to see what your settings can unleash on the GF2. Thanks for all your painstaking work tuning these settings!

• @KeithLommel Intra 25p/30p is still pSf and 10809i is interlaced and the lower field of the split is always a predicted (p macroblock encoded). Clipwrap seems to be the way most prefer to bring in pSf footage.

• @driftwood I'll certainly test Rocket v3 next... you're so prolific, it's not always easy for us mere mortals to keep up with your latest versions!

Your explanation sounds reasonable, but I"m not sure why Premiere is getting these erroneous B frames. Rocket v2 is supposed to be an intra setting at 30p, and indeed, Streamparser shows all I frames... is there some procedure that needs to be followed in importing to Premiere Pro to ensure that it interprets the footage correctly and doesn't use phantom b frames like this?

• @KeithLommel Youre probably seeing how the b frames are going forward backwards after not bringing it in correctly. Besides, use Rocket v3 now.

• I tried out @driftwood Quantum X v2 Rocket on my GF2 last night, and am having a curious problem. The resulting files play back fine in VLC and look completely normal in Streamparser (which shows an average bitrate of 32 Mbps), but there are strange issues in Premiere Pro -- frames appear to be skipped and/or out of order. It's not a slow playback/rendering issue... the problem exists even when you step through the clip frame by frame in the timeline. I've not seen behavior like this from GH2 files, but have had this on nearly every clip shot on my GF2. I was shooting FSH (1080/30p) mode using the 14/2.5 lens and shooting in rather low light conditions, but don't know what ISO was selected (GF2 is auto-ISO no matter what you set). Memory card was a Transcend 32gb Class 10.

• @BekaKob: The GF2 is not capable of recording true 720/60p, with or without the hack (it only records 720/30p, but doubles each frame to comply with the 60p standard). I understand this is a limitation of the sensor, not the firmware, so do not expect this will change in the future. Given the choice, I would take a GH1 over a GF2 for video work. At this point, the GF2 does not even have full manual controls over video exposure (although VK is working on it), the GH1 sensor is superior (lower noise, higher resolution, multi-aspect ratio), and the fold out screen comes in handy for video work.

• videohg, what lens did you used?

• Hello guys, i ve got a question, I m sure i will receive an answer. I want to buy GF2 or GH1, i want to ask, if i hack GF2 can it shoot videos at 720p60p? like GH1, i need it for slow motion, is it possible? and also after hack which camera records better GH1 or GF2? Thanks

• I think these settings I'm posting are stable. Whether they're good, well I'm not sure, I only shot test screens and I do not have the eye of a pro to tell much difference with small changes very well.

Changed some settings on mjpg also, seems to work and looks good, but only ~3.5 min of record time Settings Tested:
    E1 Quality=300
    E1 Table=24
    E2 Quality=270
    E2 Table=24
    E3 Quality=240
    E3 Table=24
    E4 Quality=200
    E4 Table=24

Environment: Same as above

Does the file span successfully at 4GB? No, it only reaches 2GB and does not span
    Can the file be played back on the camera? No, card read error
    Were there any errors? Only during playback.

MediaInfo:
    Video
    Codec ID : jpeg
    Duration : 3mn 32s
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 74.7 Mbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 30.000 fps
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 2.703
    Stream size : 1.84 GiB (99%)

And 1080i avc:

Settings Tested:
    Video Bitrate FH/H=32000000
    Video buffer=0x1800000
    1080i60 FB1=783360
    1080i Top Setting=32000
    1080i Bottom Setting=24000

Environment: Same as above

Results:
    Does the file span successfully at 4GB? Yes
    Can the file be played back on the camera? Yes, although I did not test thoroughly.
    Were there any errors? None Observed

Streamparser:

1080-holmes6-4.jpg
    1292 x 678 - 230K
    holmes6-gf2-4.zip
    423B
  • I got card write error when i tested 48Mbps720p60 and 39Mbps1080i60 on TEAM 16GB Class 10. I choosed 44Mbps for 720p60 and 32Mbs for 1080i60 and recorded full card with stress pictures and motions at ones without any error. Recorded files all playable on camera...

44M720p60.jpg
    1277 x 666 - 165K
  • @videohq sure, but just note it's only changing 720p settings now.. If you want to change 1080i you need to modify it or use someone else's settings. Also note I am no expert on this, just kind of messing with settings from others. I'm hoping to post some 1080 settings too, but want to test more first.

720p-only-48aq4.zip
    332B
  • Settings Tested:
    Video Bitrate FSH/SH=48000000
    720p Top Setting=44000
    720p Bottom Setting=24000
    720p60 GOP Size=3
    Video buffer=0x1800000
    720p60 FB1=691200
    Auto Quantizer for 720 modes=4 - All to details

Environment:
    GF2 with kit 14-42 lens and PNY 16GB class 10 20MB pointing at 1366-768 laptop playing 3 second slideshow of stress images AFC

Results:
    Does the file span successfully at 4GB? Yes
    Can the file be played back on the camera? Partially, plays a few seconds and stops, can be restarted after ff
    Were there any errors? None Observed

Streamparser:

720p-custom.jpg
    1295 x 681 - 231K
  • I think in general things to keep in mind when talking about stable: What happens when the file reaches 4GB? Can the video be played back on the camera? Were there any errors? If so, describe (card, scene). Can the error be duped reliably?

Saying something like "Pretty Stable" is too ambiguous for others to understand.

• If anyone is interested in Spain you can buy the GF2 + 14 mm lens from an online shop called www.fotoboom.com at a little over 350 €.

• I'm new at this, so here goes what is most likely a stupid question: is there any possibility of making live view AV out available while shooting video ? I ask because this little camera would be an excellent companion for my Quadcopter due to it's weight and small size. And since video quality seems no longer to be a problem… :D

• 44Mbps 720p60 AQ4, 32Mbps 1080i60 AQ4 pretty stable, thanks Vitaliy !

setg.ini
    469B