Personal View site logo
Beginners: Basic hacks questions
  • 1012 Replies sorted by
  • @chaos, use twixtor, or the old software and standalone motionperfect..

• So 720P 60 plus twixtor is where it's at?

• i have posted some clips in 720 50p and twixtor....
    and a clip shot in 50i converted to 50p, and the slowed down.
    http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/38767#Comment_38767
    http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/37795#Comment_37795
    and a extreme slomo with twixtor.
    http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/38844#Comment_38844

• I've been testing some of the latest hacks for a month and some now. Image quality in resolution is superb, but I still haven't found settings that i'm happy concerning cinematic motion. Any faster camera movements(pan, tilt or dollytracks) look bad. Been testing such hacks like Quantum100, SpanMyBitchUp and Aquamotion v2. Used all the modes there is from 23,98 fps to 50 fps. If some of You guys know any workaround for this problem, I'm more than happy to get some info about it. Many thanks and waiting for the next version of Ptool. I'm working in Pal-area and 25p is most important for us. All the best, MisterJ

• @MisterJ Fast camera movements always look like crap in 24p -- it either needs to be really fast, like a whip pan, or really slow. That's the nature of 24p shooting. No global shutter doesn't help matters much either.

Several DOPs I work with who came from the film world and shoot regularly on a Red or Alexa, respectively, comment that the 24 p cadence on the gh2 is the most cinematic they've seen. How are you monitoring/editing/viewing what you're shooting? Unless you're looking at it on a broadcast monitor or display with 120hz refresh rate, 24 p will not look good.

• @bechou if you're shooting fast action like surfing pretty much gotta shoot either 720p60 or 1080i60 -- 24p will look juddery. If your cards can hack it, try out @sage's 720 patch (I believe the latest might be over on dvxuser) or Driftwoods Quantum 9b.

• @JDN Thanks. So I need to start practice some sweep pans. =D

Haven't yet test this workflow using FCP, Cinematool and Compressor - but doubt that retiming control is that smart in blending frames. I mean if I shoot in 50p and use that workflow in converting material to 25p. Let's see.

• @MisterJ I'll ask our assistant about how he gets our 720p60 footage into a 24p timeline in FCP. All I know is avid (Controller > "Ignoreqtrate true" > Import).

• @JDN Thanks a lot for your help, gonna try both !

• hai i have a doubt which is the best mid range long time recording patch in picture quality and low light performance is it the "quantum 100" or "EOSHD Intra-esting 88mbit" or "Quantum v5" or anything else??? i am looking for the best patch i can use for longer recording in 1080 H 24p mode..any suggestions?? please attach the patch too,... ;)

• @rajamalik If you want something that will give you longer recordings, you can go with Driftwood's "quantum 50" patch. From what I hear it provides good quality, not as good as quantum 100, or quantum v9, but better quality than stock and longer recording time then these other hacks you listed.

• I've been scouring the threads in search of the answer to: What's the highest quality intra patch that can play back in camera? I've tested the seaquake patch, and it looks great, but I need to play back on set. Any ideas?

• if it dont play back, switch the gh2 off, and then on again, that trick works most off the time for me..

• Sorry, should've said I'm using Sandisk Extreme 32GB 30/mb cards. I did find out that the camera would only play back the first few seconds of a 4min clip, but shorter clips do play back. Anybody else have input on playback? Thanks...

• Quantum plays back fine for me.

• i have the same card and they all play back just fine... just audio will sometimes be bad, but in post its oké.

• I have been testing Quantum v9b lately and don't have any problems playing back in camera other than audio. As @mozes said though, the audio is only bad in camera, plays back perfect on my computer.

• Thanks everyone, audio would be nice for playback since we'd be looking at actor's performances... Great community here willing to help!

• Hi all,

I've been using various hacks for a while in 24p, but I'd never touched 720 modes before. Now I need to shoot some second camera for a main camera shooting 720 25p. When I got into Manual Movie mode though, everything appears interlaced, both in the live view and recorded. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

sorry if this has been covered already.

• Recently updated my GH2 with "NEW Quantum50 v1" patch, after the update noticed that the MJPEG videos are coming in a 2048x864 resolution and seems like the video is stretched to very wide aspect 2.35:1 ration, where object look wider than actual width. Is there any way to change or fix the MJPEG format. Please note that, all AVCHD outputs are coming out as expected and seems like working fine.

Please help.

• @DP007

Of course, check uncheck 720p size patches :-)

• @ReflexFilms (From your question in the other thread)

720 ETC is not a problem for every patch, but issues with 720 ETC are frequent and common in many.

For what it's worth, on an Australian hacked GH2 had more issues with that in P50 than I did in P60 mode.

• thanks for the answer on my ETC causing the Eoshd vanilla 44 hack to go ping. It only seems to happen with certain types of shots - i was in bright daylight shooting a mirage on a road - using the ETC to get really close.

My Gh2 is a US model (bought from b and H) that i am forcing into 50 p so i can get compatibility with 25p easily for multi cam interviews.looks like I MAY have to keep the gh2 in 720p 60 mode and use my gh1 for interviews - which i am happy to do.

Are there any patches that are known to be pretty safe in720p 50 ? I am more than happy with the results from moderate bit rates - i dont need to go crazy with bit rates and push the laws of diminishing returns.

As an aside i have recently sold my HVX200 with 2 x adaptor lens - and am pretty happy with the incredible performance jump i am getting with the GH2. Its VERY impressive - and i havent even thrown any amazing lenses on yet. Having onboard ND filters was nice though!

• Got my first gh2 today ,.. Any one please teach me how to patch it,.. Hai which patch works well in low light? I am planning to shoot a shot film with my classmates,.. Got gh2 + 14-140 + 100-300 + 32gb 45m/s class10 sdhc card ,..I want superb video quality in 1080 H 24p mode. please help me ;)

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions