Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Beginners: Basic hacks questions
  • 1012 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks JDN! I didn't mean to trivalize the patches, I just meant if they were a different software thing happening altogether (like a plugin for PTool), or if they were settings within PTool. I certainly don't understand enough about this stuff to go in there willy nilly changing things.

Now in terms of using a patch, on a mac, using wine, where do I put the .ini file as I don't have the .exe exposed anymore to put it in the same folder. Does it go with the wine file, or do I bury it inside with the .exe?

And lastly, in terms of learning more about this, is this book good?: http://www.eoshd.com/gh2-guide-book I did a search on the forum here but didn't turn up much. It's quite expensive (particularly for an ebook), but it does seem thorough and quite applicable to what I want.

• If you use winebottler to create a mac application, the patch setting files cannot be loaded. Suggest putting PTools.exe together with the specific patch.ini files you want to use in the same folder, then Ctrl+click on PTools.exe and select "Open with wine.app". This way the patch files are available from PTools. If you simply create a new wine app, you can't. You can organize binaries & patch files so they can be easily loaded and/or created for testing.

• It is going again and again. Just download original zipped patches. Click on round button in Ptool, locate your patch, and it'll import all by itself.

• That sounds easy enough.

• @Meierhans, The 1080 ETC mode horizontal crop factor is 4976/1920, and of course the aspect ratio is 1920:1080. If you can find the sensor dimensions published somewhere, you should be able to calculate the sensor area for ETC mode.

@xtra00, try resetting your camera. (menu, setup, reset) Try re-attaching the lens.

• Hi everyone. I need help to hack my 2nd GH2 I hacked my 1st GH2 few weeks ago; and we I decided to hack the 2nd it didn't work. I copied the GH2__V11.bin file into my SDcard, and when I turn on the camera and press the play button nothing happens besides the message the there are no files. did anyone had the same problem? and if YES how did you solve it? by the way the battery is genuine and fully charged.

Thank you in advance.

• @Rodrigo I havent seen the book but guess what? You'll learn more here on this site than any book. I believe the book gets a lot of info from here... yet can never be uptodate as there are so many variables and new things being discovered and reported here on a daily basis. Maybe its good for beginner...

• @Rodrigo The book is pretty decent. I find it most helpful if you are completely new to shooting with a DSLR as I was when I first started. If you already know the basics then ts not as useful. I feel that at $30, it is a little over priced. All and all, it does teach you enough if you want to start shooting soon. You can always sit down and read through the book in a couple hours. It is in no way a replacement for this forum. It will give you some base knowledge of how things work, but your best bet is to dedicate some time to reading through these forums. I know it may seem daunting at first, but its well worth it. As @driftwood said, new things are being discovered daily. I bought that book the week it came out, and the section about hacks was starting to be outdated just a week after. Things move quickly here.

• @Aksel Are you using wine on Mac? When I tried, the .bin files would not load in the camera. I know others get it to work, but the time I tried, it didn't, so I use windows to do it now. (my Mac is a hackintosh, which might have something to do with it.)

• @markmark1 Yes I am using Mac, but I already used it to hack the 1st GH2 and it worked. So basically what I did is copy the same file to the other SD card and it does not work, while if I put the same card in the hacked camera and I press play, the message of updating the firmware appears but not in the non hacked.

• @book I did a (film) photography course like 10 years, so I'm definitely rusty, and haven't really ever done film stuff either (in a more serious way), so I'd consider myself a beginner. The price is definitely steep, but thankfully I live in the UK so the price jumps down a bit in £.

I might give it a go as having all the info in one place would be very handy.

• @Meierhans

Just switch to extele, point straight at something some distance away, measure the distance to the subject, measure the width of the subject being recorded, this gives enough info to work out horizontal angle of view which is what your tracking software really needs, though some lame software design makes you put in focal length in 35mm terms, which you can reverse to from angle of view.

• Is it worth adding the language mod to know for certain that the hack loaded? Or if goes to update the firmware and then boots up fine after hacking, it's working?

Also in terms of testing different patches, is there any reason not to just have firmwares 'cooked' with the different patches just waiting to go (all named the same, but in different folders) rather than booting up ptool every time?

• @aksel, read the GH2 hack FAQ, "How do I flash my camera?". Post again if the suggestion there doesn't work.

• A question from a noob for those using high bit rate hacks on GH2. I shot test comparing Firmware 1.1 vs Aquamotion V2 against a red wall in my home, previewed at 100%, full resolution on Premiere Pro. Even at ISO160, I see visible grain in the Aquamotion V2 footage. Is this typical of high bit intra recording?

• Yes. You are seeing more of what the sensor is producing.

• I can't hack my Gh2! I saved the patched firmware on the SD card, put it on camera and when I press PLAY instead of showing the screen where you would confirm the update process it just says "no image" (cause the card was formatted) I think I did everything right: -used the new pool 3.63d -checked version increment box - loaded the patch - saved it as GH2__V11.bin - placed this on a formatted card - put it on camera, turned it on and pressed PLAY

nothing happens, just says no valid image is on the card... I did this more than 10 times I tried different patches and always the same, the weird part is that when I put the same SD card in my hacked GH2 everything works fine.

anyone can help?? thanks

• @Aksel

If you look back at the topic, you'll find solution.

Use larger version increment (I mean the number).

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev thank you for answering

do you mean instead of GH2__V11.bin, I should put GH2__V16.bin?? if that is what you meant, I did it too and nothing.

• I had the same problem at first, I think he means when you are creating the firmware, you have to manually change the version increment (the first thing in the drop down area). I changed that from a 1 to a 10. I guess the camera checks that to see if it's a new firmware or not.

edit: Just to add I finally loaded up Aquamotion2 last night and did some low light test shooting (generic lamp light in a living room) and the footage looks great. Blacks are deep and rich, and not fizzy. I tried the 12k ISO and that looks pretty grainy, but that's to be expected.

I need to get used to not using automation ISO as well and tweaking that stuff.

• THANK YOU VITALIY THANK YOU RODRIGO finally it worked

• Moved topic to this forum upon request, not that I think its' necessarily the proper place for it... but here it is:

HI all,

Scary development: I've hacked my GH2 about two weeks ago, shot a bunch of stuff and was very happy with the results. Then yesterday out of nowhere I get really pronounced trails, or ghosting in my LCD, sort of like shooting on a slow shutter speed, but different in a way that's difficult to explain. But I can assure you I am not shooting slow shutter, I've done the test at many different shutter speeds. It's also strange that the effect is less pronounced in the viewfinder and even less so in the recorded image, although there is a jagged motion in recorded image. It doesn't look smooth or fluid.

This is of course very worrying so I went back to the official Panasonic firmware, and the problem persisted, so I reset the cam to all default factory setting, refreshed the pixels, cleaned the sensor, and still the problem persits! I would really appreciate help in diagnosing this problem, as I have really no idea what is causing or what to do! Has anyone heard or seen anything like this?

Thanks for any thoughts or advice, yb

Vitaliy_KiselevVitaliy_Kiselev 10:43AM

This is the proper topic for such stuff http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/443/basic-and-beginner-questions#Item_647

To be short. It is not related to hack in any way.

• @yrb

Hi! I have only noticed that kind of ghosting with lsd...sorry lcd ;) when my camera is extremely cold, for example here at Finland -20 to +-0 celcius. But I still wouldn't narrow out the possibility that hacks might cause some malfunction (over heating maybe?) on hardware components with long term use (this is some what Panasonic people have said about hacks). or VK, can you absolutely deny this??

• @blackspot Ok, well that's actually interesting news because I am in Canada and was shooting yesterday in very cold conditions. What worries me is that the problems seems to persist today even if my camera has been indoors overnight. But it really is only in the LCD the recorded footage seems fine.

• @yrb In that case, I'm am pretty convinced that the problem is caused by a cold temperature. Cell phone displays suffer the same prob all the time here. But I'm still worried about the fact that your problem persists night after in a room temp. Maybe you should consider contacting your dealer.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions