Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Beginners: Basic hacks questions
  • 1012 Replies sorted by
  • Vitaliy, we all want present for the new year :)
  • Guys, it would be great if someone could help me out and clear some things up for me. I'm surfing on Personal-View almost every day, but there are still things I can't figure out by myself. For example with GOPs.

So, if someone talks about GOPs, he's talking about group of pictures. Got that. There are Intra-Frames, which contain the whole information of a picture, and there are B- and P-Frames, which are dependent on the I-Frame. So far, so good. My question is: What does the number mean? Like GOP 1? Or GOP 30?

My guess is that it indicates the space between one I-Frame and the next. So to my understanding, this also implies that a GOP 1 only has I-Frames - and since I-Frames seem to have the most information and therefore the best detail and quality, why use any other GOP again? I see alot of patches using pretty high GOPs and I can't really understand why. Is this all just about the performance of the SD-Card?
  • @niGGo

Longer GOP = More efficient, higher compression.
    Lower GOP = Less efficient, lower compression.
  • Well, so is this an addition to what I said? I guess that means that I'm correct?
  • @bvinh @vitaliy Hey Thank Bvinh i got the same issue as you and i corrected it the same way...on my new GH2 i installed the new panasonic update 1.1 and i was able afterwards to upload the GH2 hack in my cam....Amazing Amazing....
  • Is there a way to change the stabilization mode (1,2 or 3) when using Movie Creating Mode on 75Mbps Peak Reliability Patch V2 firmware?
    In my case it is stuck to Mode 1. I tried with both Q Menu and regular menu but couldn't find a way to change it.
  • Finally i have a gh2..........
    I had to do a long search, because they where sold out almost everywhere.
    And the ones who have them on stock, where to expensive. (complete kits)

I did find a shop who had just a body, and for lens i have now a 14-150mm olympus ED M.zuiko 1:4-5.6
    http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/olympus_m_14-150_4-5p6_o20
    The shop didn't have the panasonic lens on stock.
    But i did make the deal so, that if i don't like the lens, i can return it in two weeks.
    and get a panasonic lens .. the 14-140mm or 14-42 mm-lens.

Icluded with the deal where a UV filter for lens protection, and a tripod (cheap one)
    All for 1050 euro, not a bad deal.

Sadly, the olympus doesn't have any stabilization :(
    I was thinking that it wasn't a big problem........but..
    i film almost always from hand, or use objects around me for support..
    So i am thinking to return the lens and get the pana 14-140mm lens.
    Good idea or a bad one?

and what is a good patch to start with.
    ad the moment i only have a transcend sdhc 16gb class 6 card...
    In tine i will buy the Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb card :-) but not yet....
    i will film mostly fast moving object in 50p

in advance thanks for tips... :-)

• is it usually better to correct for color in-camera? say, if you were shooting with fluorescent lights and wanted to accomodate their green spike, is there anything you'd do, or would you just balance on a white card?
  • @mozes, I would highly recommend getting a sandisk 30MB/s class 10 card instead, they run around $50 for 32GB. the 95MB/s cards are better (but much more expensive)
  • Indeed.
    But, they are way more expensive here in the Netherlands.
    around the 90 euro. (117 $)
    Also, a lot off web shops, who advertise with 50 euro (65$), for the 30mb card
    When you put it in the basket, you MUST check it again!.
    almost all shops put the 20mb card in it, NOT the 30mb...

• With the GH2, is there a general rule whether it's better to under or overexpose and then fix later? I've read in a few different places that it's better to underexpose around two stops, because of the detail it's possible to pull out of the shadows, whereas with the highlights they blow a bit more easily. This is shooting on Smooth, -2, -2, -0, -2 with driftwood's Quantum settings.
  • It may be better to underexpose than overexpose - but neither is as good as exposing correctly. I have found that the best way to judge exposure is by using the histogram - not perfect but still better than the alternatives. If you underexpose by two stops you are essentially throwing away 2 bits of data per channel. Considering that you only have 8 bits of data to begin with, that's a lot.

It's always a good idea to get as close to the final exposure result as possible in-camera and use as little post processing as possible to correct for exposure. That way detail is preserved in the mid (and visually most important, typically) ranges.
  • Do any of the GH2 patches work with the GH1? Or as a GH1 owner, do I need to focus solely on the GH1 patches? Don't slam me for being noob! Thanks.
  • Hi.
    My question is about interface language on a GF1.
    The tutorial on the FAQ page (http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh1-hack/gh1-g2-and-gf1-hack-faq?do=backlink) seems pretty straightforward but...
    ...will it work on a JAPANESE GF1 model as well?
    (I mean, will I be able to hack the nasty "japanese-language-ONLY" user interface and get an english language user interface option?
    Any hint highly appreciated. Thanks.

• @jroppi

Yes :-) All will work.
    In fact, most of the bodies I have are Japanese :-)
  • @a10tive1 The latest version of PTool (3.63) has support for all cameras. HOWEVER, it can only install GH2 patches on GH2, and GH1 patches on GH1, etc. There are also several general patches that work on GH1, GF1 and G2. Read the FAQ (link is at the top of this page).
  • Hi,
    I've been "camping out" on this forum for a while now, but still my head is spinning :) so please bear with me. I've been trying to figure out if there is a good quality patch (nothing extreme) that will help me cope with motion blur in my panning shots (yes I know they must be done veeery slowly). From what I was able to understand (and the above posts confirm this) a low GOP "should" help me cope with this issue. But there are so many patches out there. Any recommendation would be most helpful.
    I'm using a SanDisk Extreme class 10 30MB/s card.
    (back to reading-studying-learning)

Thank you
    Mike
  • Still doubting about my lens.
    see my question here http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/33181#Comment_33181

Just updated the lens firmware from Olympus for Panasonic body's from v1.0 to v1.1
    it must improve the auto-focus, well i don't see much improvement..

But further its oké, and i like it, just no stabilization.

ps, a 32gb 30mb scandisk is ordered. ;-)

• Motion blur is a function of shutter speed. If you're shooting 24p with a standard shutter speed of 1/50 second, you're going to have a certain amount of motion blur. You can eliminate the motion blur by shooting at a faster shutter speed, but most people dislike the effect that produces... motion has a very staccato look, kind of like watching dancers at a disco when the strobe light comes on. In this case, motion blur is actually aesthetically pleasing and preferred by most viewers and filmmakers. In fact, in bright sunlight, many videographers use ND filters to darken things and allow them to keep the relatively slow 1/50 second shutter speed, and maintain this pleasing motion blur. Of course, sometimes the staccato effect can be put to good artistic use, such as the opening scene to Saving Private Ryan.

Since you mention panning shots in particular, I suspect what you're objecting to is not motion blur, but the jerkiness of the pan caused by a low frame rate. The fact is that 24p is quite slow and nothing highlights this more than a panning shot. Film shooters know this and generally do very slow pans. If you want your pans to look smoother, what you need is not a firmware hack, but a faster frame rate. Try the same panning movement in 720p60 mode. You will find it looks a lot smoother. That having been said, there are people out there who don't like things to look too smooth, because they want to recreate as much as possible the "feel" of traditional film cinematography. Although 60p looks a lot smoother and realistic, they object that these qualities make it look more like "video" as opposed to "filmic." This is more a matter of taste that you'll have to decide for yourself.

A low GOP won't help you with any of the above. Instead, what it prevent are more subtle motion artifacts that result from the codec using information across multiple frames to achieve higher levels of compression. One particularly useful thing that a low GOP does is ensure that random sensor noise at higher ISOs is truly random from frame to frame, giving it more of a "film grain" feel, rather than blurring across frames in a way that looks much less natural.

Hope this is useful.
  • @KeithLommel
    Thank you so much, Keith! This clears things up a lot!! And you are quite right about what I meant about the panning shots (I thought it was called motion blur the effect that it's very "eye disturbing" - for lack of a better word - if pans are not done very slowly; typical of hi-def videos). In fact so far with my old cam I always went 720p at 60fps which I noticed helped a lot. Thanks also for clarifying the GOP function. I definitely need to delve deeper into this hack thing :) I'm new to the GH2 world and I need to fill this gap.
    Mike
  • @KeithLommel Excellent answer. Ultimately this is why in the future 1080p60 will be the minimum way to go - it won't look classic 'filmic' but it will be smooth and wonderful. I'm all for it, others will probably hate it. Personal views....
  • just used driftwoods SpanMyBitchUp patch and added 2fps mjpeg settings on my gh2

with ptools v3.63d

done a few test records on most settings 24p/1080 + 50p/720 with a sandisk 16gb 10class 95/mbs

problem is in playback... the camera says cannot playback image?

is this anything to be concerned about, or can it be fixed?

thanks
  • First off i would like to say Hello all, and sorta introduce myself. I am a Photographer and engineering student (so i am poor lol) I live in New York state and have only owned and been using my Panasonic G1 for 8 months now, but have been into photography and using a Manual SLR camera since i was 12.
    I was directed to this site from a Photo forum site i frequent (www.mu-43.com/f66/gh1-gf1-g1-firmware-hackable-2931/index3.html) after asking about firmware things there.

So here is my question. I was wondering , is there a Hack for the DMC-G1 firmware? I know that there is one for the GH1 and other video capable DMC-G series cameras but do not know about the G1. A search on here for G1 turned up nothing.
    What i am interested in is just the ability to shoot in 1:1 aspect in camera. So i was wondering if there is a hack or Patch that can add that to my camera or is there someone that can do that. Its a feature i would really really love to have. there are many reasons i wish this was possible but i don't want to drone on about them all here. I just can't justify spending money I don't really have to get a GH1 for that feature alone since there is really nothing more that i need (Besides a longer Bulb time, but none of the G series cameras has that) ether..lol.

If this is just a pipe dream and wishful thinking you can just let me know and i thank anyone who lets me know for there time.

Kind Regards,
    Daniel

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions