Personal View site logo
GH2 showing fixed darker band/stripe 20 pixels high across footage
  • 186 Replies sorted by
  • yep i am sure, still have the mts file, its 37 sec. and 455mb. i can upload it, or make another example, just tell me what to film.

Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : No
    Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
    Codec ID : 27
    Duration : 37s 204ms
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 95.7 Mbps
    Maximum bit rate : 102 Mbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 1.925

• @futur2 But some perform a lot better. On my first one the line was consistent and almost black. The replacement has the line, but it's overall lighter and fades toward the center of the frame--much less noticeable. It's useful for people to have a reference to compare their camera to to decide if they want to keep it or if they want to play the sensor lottery and exchange it for another.

@mozes I don't see the line in yours. Not at all. All I see are the rolling bands caused by electric lighting. Are you sure you're shooting in 1080p (24P Cinema mode)? I don't think it's the lens, the band shows up just fine with the full manual nokton.

• @JamesAllenVisual, i dont have a other lens ad the moment, maby over some months.

• Usually my luck.. lol :)

• @JamesAllenVisual you could as well end up with a worse model ;) just sayin...

• There is a lot in that stance @futur2. Defo one to work around. I really love using my GH2 - it produces stunning results and is a joy to use. Just annoying to be shooting in 1/50 all day then suddenly the line appears when it gets dark but there is still tons of street / car light etc. Changing to 1/25 is cool though. Just got to be sure to remember to do that. I suppose it's just that feeling that maybe a replacement might not show it up quite as much on my current unit..

• the tests are interesting but also useless to some point. even if you find out that some models behave a little bit better, there is no flawless gh2 regarding "the line". work around it if you can (avoid darkness, use fast lenses, low isos, 1/25 or just more light) move to something else or wait for the gh3 and pray that it won't have some similar or even totally new bug!

ps: oh yeah and i fuckin hate this bug.

• @mozes - I wonder what effect your lens may be having as I can hardly see any lines on your recordings. Wonder whether the Panny len's show this up a lot more.

You got any you can use to re-do this test?

• @mozes

I don't see it in yours at all. Maybe because of 720?

Also, I forgot to mention I did another test, this time in black and white:

• yea, compared to mine.

i am uploading the file now to you-tube, its almost 1 gb.
    so to morrow morning i will post the link.
    i have used iso 640, 1250, 3200, 6400 and 12800 (with always one step back, except the last one 12800)
    with the higher iso's, go's the shutter to, between 1/25 and 1/200.
    Shot in 720p 50fps with tele2 and the Dynamic profile.... no correction or filters added.
    the image go's up and down from a light-source (PC monitor, to a wall and is out of focus)
    in this way it looks like the gh2 corrects the problem, ad least, thats what i think?

Lens is a 14/150 Olympus F4-5.6

Patch used is NINE http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/37520#Comment_37520
    To give a idea about it
    3/4 of the first image i just edited with neat video 2.6....
    other images untouched.
    ps, i will also do a 1080 24p, sorry my mistake to do it in 720, i practical always use that ;-o

here it is.

Image2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 159K
    Image3.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 383K
    Image4.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 352K
    Image5.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 329K
    Image6.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 281K
  • Would you say mine is a lot worse @mozes ? I'd definitely like to see your test's - thanks in advance.

• i have it to, but no way it is like your video shows James. i will try to make a clip, so others can see the differences...

• Ok guys, I've finally put together a video showing my experience with this 'feature':

Obviously best viewing in 1080p where possible. Also it shows up a lot worse in the source videos. YouTube compression seems to hide it more :)

Indoor parts shot with 14-140mm Panny lens - outdoor bits with the 20mm pancake. Auto ISO.

Let me know what you think in terms of how bad you think my GH2 show's the line.

• Nice one @shaun - great test. Anymore you can do would be awesome. I am wondering if mine show's the problem more than other's as I see it alot. I do quite a bit of outdoor shooting as night draws in though there is normally still decent street lighting and it shows up regularly - very clear. I will decide tomorrow if I'm going to return mine for a replacement. If Amazon send out a brand new one immediately like they often do it's probably a no brainer.

• Interesting how it makes finer and smaller jumps as the SS goes up... But why is it not visible in 1080i mode? Weird indeed.

• Thanks man for posting this, thats a great example of the problem im having

• Here are the videos:

--Info--

Lens: Voitgländer 25mm

iso: 12800

wb: 4000

film mode: nostalgic -2

quality: 24L

Hack: Quantum v9beta update

• @JamesAllenVisual

I think it is worse on some cameras than on others. I'm uploading a video now comparing the replacement (WE1J) I got with the original (WE1S). I won't make any comments yet, but it seems to me the severity of the line varies between the two cameras. I still have both so I might do more tests to decide.

• "THE LINE" is NOT a characteristic, are they out of their mind?????? Noise on in low light and high iso , yes it is characteristic, but when you have an image that even with the noise is still acceptable and there is a fucking half inch line running across your footage almost in the middle of it...... i call it a manufacture defected camera bull shit.

• Yeah I do think that is the bottom line. I'm loving my GH2 more by the day and I haven't used it that much yet or produced my first video. I'm ready to go full force with it but the only nagging doubt is whether this 'characteristic' looks worse on mine than it does on some other's.. If it doesn't I can relax and work around it, if not I need to act before my 30 days is up to try a new one.. Ah decisions. ;)

Damn great cam though. Only using 1.1 at the moment but 25p HBR looks fantastic..

• WHAT? It's classified as one of characteristics of the camera? OK, why not come out with another model with the line in the upper third. Idiots could start flame wars about which one is nicer then…

This is a technical fault, just as much as the vertical line in early JVC HD camcorders.

But as long as the GH2 (with the hack) is by far the best in it's price range, we'll have to live with it or buy higher.

• Kudos! All the best!

• Just because we are amateurs and with a small budget doesn't mean they don't have to listen to us if we buy their product. But they WILL NOT if we WILL NOT speak! OK, enough of whining. I will post once I get more information whether it is possible or not to get Panasonic to do something about this LINE.

• @benzopilas: I like guys like you: Take the fight :) But what I meant is: they never promised that the recording was to be perfect. We all take it as it should be a nice image. But that image could be with noise, it could be however. Where did they say this could never happen and this is the way an image should be represented?

Just my five cents. There is always a way to circumvent stuff. Especially legally - what was the deal? And since it is not proffesional gear. People in the business won't necessarily give it bad "rep". As other PRO gear would have been discussed and abandoned - but if it were PRO gear, it would cost lots more and less people (crowd) would know about it faults but when they start talking... Then PANA would listen faster to demands... Cuz the PRO's have money and (also have contacts and new customers for hi end gear)... ;)

It still sucks though!

It's weird mathematics but f**K

Yep, I'm drunk. From the Vodka belt!!!

Vitaliy! Cheers from Sweden!!!

thinking about canon or PANA for so long but this camera is much more fun! It has it quirks (like evereyone). but the new territory in image and all the lenses it si FUN and interesting. Canon just looks like Canon!

Nastarovio!