Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 showing fixed darker band/stripe 20 pixels high across footage
  • 186 Replies sorted by
  • @nomad I post here some captures from FC's Canvas. Shot with the Leica 25-f1.4 (hand held) HBR/p25, ISO 400. Now it makes sense what Vitaly commented about that the camera scans always interlaced. I'm able to get rid of the artifacts de-interlacing. Applying after some sharpening the picture looks well, but not sure if its worth all the rendering time.

Screen shot 2.png
    1073 x 747 - 279K
    Screen shot 1.png
    1073 x 747 - 295K
  • Now i have the firmware 1.1 on my gh2.
    I notice that the banding is different from firmware 1.0 ? (special in HBR mode)
    Now i was doing some reading about Basic coding structure for H.264/AVC for a macroblock.
    And the structure off that looks like the banding.
    http://ip.hhi.de/imagecom_G1/assets/pdfs/csvt_overview_0305.pdf

Perhaps someone who understands all of that, can explain it?

banding.jpg
    824 x 432 - 58K
  • @mozes : this guy made a very poor job with that graphic. Those in between white lines do not really exist. Hi should have designed 16x16 pixels blocks with different tones but he drew just a set of horizontal lines separated by that white that doesn't makes sense.

• Yeah I hate this bullshit too. I'm forced to use 1/40 and crop everything @ 2.35.

• Well I give up.. I got my replacement GH2 a while ago as mentioned in this thread and the line problem was massively improved (there but faint). However after using it for a month I decided the image quality just wasn't as good as the original one (seems more washed out, maybe a bit noisier). So I got another GH2 sent out by Amazon - arrived this week and guess what? The line is just like the original camera. Easy to see in most tests. It's a WE1SA serial which another member of the forum said was bad for them..

Feeling pretty gutted now. Thought by the 3rd unit I'd have a decent one. In some ways I wish I'd stayed with my first which had a really rich and vivid image. Everything I shot on my 2nd I've not been happy with and while the 3rd seems to have a slightly richer image (though not as good as the 1st) the line really is a show stopper.

Now got to find out if I can return the 3rd unit and stick with the 2nd though not sure I'm happy with the quality.

Only thing I'm wondering though is whether this may just be a case of colour grading. Are some GH2 better out of the box than other's which come to life when graded?

Just want to enjoy my camera now but finding it increasingly difficult..

• Just use 1/50 for outdoor (< ISO 1600/800 until it starts to be visible) and 1/30 for lowlight. I tested 3 models from different batches and sadly each had this issue. But this workaround is ok for me - 1/30 is IMHO better for lowlight anyway. I can really enjoy this camera now and suggest you to think the same way and live with it (if you don't need strictly 1/50 all the time).

• @jendabek

God forbid you wanna move the camera around at 1/30- rolling shutter is more apparent and motion is like a damn dream sequence.

• @jedabek Thanks for that and a very good point. Must admit that today I was starting to think like that.. Just use 1/50 outside then as it gets darker switch to 1/30 when the line becomes evident. I could keep the 2nd model which really doesn't show the line up that much at all but can't shake the feeling that overall quality is less.. It's like the worse the line, the better the overall video quality is.. Just wish I'd kept the 1st model now - that had such a good video image straight from the cam.

• I was filming the fireworks. The result looks terrible. Can someone explain why the image is like that?

GH2 + 14-42, 24p cinema mode, f3.5, 1/50, ISO 1600 and Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now - DREWnet'

• Rolling shutter, I think. You get that with any flashing lights.

• Do all GH2s have this issue? I got mine shipped from B&H to Canada before xmas and love it but the black line is annoying. I see the line in low light starting at about 800 iso and record a white door.