Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic, series 4
  • 586 Replies sorted by
  • WOW! Talk about a patch that's right up my alley.

Am I correct in assuming I would see an increase in reliability/IQ from Aquamotion v2 with Quantum100?

Thanks again for all you do Driftwood, you're a freakin' hero.

• q9b working good now

• Screen shots from Driftwood hack V9b

Ambient light (fluorescent) in the basement

Spans with 95MB/s 64GB Sandisk card

Qunatum V9b 3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 752K
    Qunatum V9b 16.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 635K
  • Sorry, I am just getting used to focussing with manual lens. Very tricky for those of us not used to their lenses.

• Info about my new Quantum INTRA patches (a quantum leap in image quality):-

Quantum v9b is 150M (released yesterday) - Highest quality, plus brilliant 720p & 1080i 50/60. (Filmaking)

Quantum100 is 100/50M (released today) - Great Quality, plus brilliant 720p & 1080i 50/60 (Documentary)

Quantum50 is 50/25M (Released later today) - Good Quality, plus reliability with slow cards. (Better than stock)

All three with the right cards playback in camera and span.

• @driftwood

Cool! Great work! I feel obliged to try out Quantum100 for a documenting job, but right now I'm a little tight on space so I guess that will have to be left for later..

• @Driftwood, Sorry I'm new. Quantum 100 would work on Sandisk Extreme Class 10 (32GB, 30MB/s)?

• @driftwood

Thanks for your Work!!

• @driftwood & Vitaliy_Kiselev ..mucha gracias !!!!

• @Rafa It is working on mine. Spanning in both H and L settings.Spanning with EX mode also. 720p both FSH and SH are working fine but with EX Tele on it wont record more than 14 seconds ... due to card speed otherwise it records fine. I dont want 720p to span so haven't checked that yet. But this is best you can ask given the speed of the card :d Great work Driftwood and Vitality and personal View Familly.

• Disregard the quality, it has been uploaded to FB then downloaded then uploaded here... This is a Quantum 7 screen grab... I went to the beach to shoot some minimalist shooting, just showing you dont need big fancy equipment to get great shots. Only equipment GH2, 14-42, cheapo tripod...

322356_118657821587703_100003304560493_102618_325811900_o.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 281K
  • with 14-140 lens af on. At this point I am testing on 64gb/95mb/sec sandisk

1080i seems to be stable. Survived all zoom and pan test. 1080p24 is solid.

720p/60 on both fsh and sh continues to be problematic. With no camera zoom or movement it always got a write error in 6-8 seconds.

The behavior was the same on lumix 20mm and 14-140 lens. Same write card fail - even with af off.

Since the settings for 720p are the same across the quantum 9 and q100 patches this would apply to all.

On voight 50mm .95 lens all 720p and 1080i were error-free.

No span tests yet.

• @Driftwood Quantum 100!! You made my day Nick. Thank you for this. I've got a wedding this weekend and can't wait to see the results from your latest v9 with the tweaks for docu-shooters like myself in Quantum 100. I did a quick test last night using 2 GH2's with identical settings but one loaded with your Quantum v2 patch and the other with Quantum 100 100/50 patch. Quality is great on both of coarse. The big news however is that the color shift in the green mid/highlights is reduced somehow in Quantum 100. I don't know why - but I'm happy!! The colors seem more true right out of the gate. I also shot the exact same footage comparing firmwares Quantum v2 and Quantum 100 on a single GH2 and my findings about the green shift downwards in the mid/highlights was also confirmed using fcpx rgb parade. Check it out. It's a crappy shot of nothing - but the difference is very noticable in these screen grabs. I have not color corrected these images. Camera settings for both images : Smooth -2,-2,0,+2 Color shift settings : two clicks left towards A, one click down towards M- ISO : 800 24L Takumar 55 1.8 (shot @ 2.8)

Anyone else see less green shift?

noticable green shift.png
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
    green shift reduced!.png
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
  • I built my own version of Q7 with 24H at TerraQuake quality (AQ3, because I have Transcend cards) and 24L at AQuamotion/Quantum100 quality. I get 600k iFrames on 24H and 480k iFrames on 24L. Good trade-off if you ask me. Most of the time I don't need spanning so I get maximum image quality on the H setting (max IQ possible with Transcend cards that is). I am currently doing lots of tests with 9b and Quantum 100 to see how I like them.

@driftwood Nick, are the 600k and 480k frame sizes right? The L starts at 600k and then drops to 480k in a second or so and stays at that constantly during the remaining time of the clip. I remember that you mentioned somewhere that this was normal behavior for the L setting combined with a H setting. Right?

Oh, and I love the 150M/100M/50M/25M approach. Just what the forum needed! Pick what you like (and what your cards/storage support).

• @Driftwood Hi! I did some casual screen capture comparison between AVCHD NTSC modes of Quantum v9b. There is slight color shift between SH/H and 24p/24p80% modes, but it might be caused by flickering of lights. Though, there is guite a big compression artifacts/quality difference between 720p SH and H modes. How is it that H mode have way more detail? Shouldn't SH mode be better? By the way, ALL SEAQUAKE and QUANTUM v9b modes SPAN with my SDHC 8GB 30mb/s SanDisk Extreme HD Video- card. Never had a problem. (both pics are captured using Grab from 200% zoomed view) VK, Feel free to move or delete this post, if its in a wrong topic.

AVCHD1280_60p_sh.png
    1471 x 795 - 568K
    AVCHD1280_60p_h.png
    1488 x 799 - 619K
  • @driftwood 9b seems to have no card write problems on my Transcend 32GB class 10 cards. Earlier Quantum patches couldn't work at AQ4 and needed to be downgraded to AQ3 with a 5108808 frame limit. Any idea why? Can other people confirm this? Might be that I messed up my test. It is dark here so I can't shoot bushes outside.

• further 720p test q9b with 14-140

720/50 appears stable on sh and h even with 30mbsec sandisk.

I lowered 720/60 : aq :2 and dropped 60fps frame limit a few thousand. It still write errored but took several seconds longer. 95mb/sec sanddisk

• Quantum 100 spanned for me on moderately stressful test on 32 sandisk -- looks fantastic. Can't say if I see less of a green shift or not, but the colour rendition looked great! You da man Nick.

• I have been testing Quantum 100 and I am getting a lot of motion blur when I do whip pans. I have been focusing on a vertical object such as a post and moving the camera back and forth. I am also noticing a glow on the image while moving the camera. I have been using a Sandisk 32 gig extreme pro 45 mbts. A Konica 50mm 1.7 at f 1.7 to 16 and shutter speeds of 1/50 1/60 1/80 1/100 and still getting blur. Has anyone else have this problem?

• Motion blur is quite literally the result of motion, and a product of your shutter speed. If you don't like motion blur, stop moving, or use a faster shutter speed. It has nothing to do with your patch settings. Without seeing the glow that you are talking about, it sounds like a product of the lens and lighting. If you have any doubts, shoot the same thing with different patch settings and with stock settings, and compare.

• 80% on 24h was lasting about 8 sec on 64gb 95 card just so everone knows.... if you go to 24l it will still be awesome quality and should keep going

• Variable Movie Mode 80% will never work with the highest bit rate patch settings. 80% mode records at 5/4 the rate of 24p. 5/4 of the highest is higher than the highest. So it can't work. :P It is not a discovery to tell us that it doesn't work with some particular patch settings. Tell us if it actually works at 24L. That would be useful.

• yeah i was just giving an fyi because its nice to know it can film 8 seconds or so....... just tested 24l 80% and it kept on going until i stopped recording 2 minutes in because it was getting cold outside... did a bunch of quick zooms into detailed trees...again 64gb 95 card

trees.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
  • @balazer - "It is not a discovery to tell us that it doesn't work with some particular patch settings."

All conscientious testing results are of value to me, regardless of whether anyone thinks it's "not a discovery". In commercial software development, every new release is routinely subjected to what's known as regression testing, where a lengthy laundry list of previously confirmed test cases are methodically verified once again. The purpose of the vast majority of systematic testing is not to discover something new, but to positively confirm that nothing has gone unexpectedly wrong.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions