Personal View site logo
Fuji X PRO 1
  • The Fuji mirrorless system has arrived, very exciting if you ask me: (high quality body, revolutionary sensor, fast primes, good price)

- Three new lenses: 18mm (27mm equivalent) f/2.0, 35mm (53mm equivalent) f/1.4 and 60mm (90mm equivalent) f/2.4
    - Responsephoto says the Camera+35mm lens kit will cost 1.300 Euro. That’s actually just a bit higher than the Fuji X100 price. The other two lenses will cost 600 Euro each.
    - Responsephoto says the sensors name is X-Trans! R. writes that Fuji took some ideas from the classica film technology to create the new sensor which will beat the image quality of all current fulflrame sensors! The photosites will be of 6 different colors and disposed randomly, therefore moire will be avoided.
    - There is no Anti Aliasing filter on the sensor.
    - The lenses are made of metal.
    - The camera has the new X-mount. The lens mount acutally goes a little bit “inside” the body! The mount diameter will be large and its flange will be of 17.7 mm.
    - The viewfinder is hybrid (optical and electronic). The optical viewfinder changes the view depending on the kind of prime lens you sue. This again is an idea coming from the Contax G2!
    - Other incredible new thing: The autofocus sensor is…external! There is a special AF sensor on the camera body!

http://photo-cult.com/tests/ReponsesPhoto239-p8.jpg

I really hope Fuji delivers. Everything looks amazing... build quality, specifcations, lenses. I haven't found any video specifications yet.
  • 48 Replies sorted by
  • The firmware update Ver.3.70 from Ver.3.61 incorporates the following issues:

1. Specification when the CORRECTED AF FRAME is ON in the Shooting Menu has been changed. The CORRECTED AF FRAME in the OVF is fixed on the recommended value described in the Owner's manual. If the minimum focus range of the attached lens is greater than the recommended value, the frame is displayed on the position of the minimum focus range.

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xpro1/index.html

• Some features of upcoming firmware (X-Pro1 and X-E1):

1. Improved AF speed on most existing XF lenses.
      Thanks to an updated algorithm, faster AF speed is achieved with the following XF lenses:
      XF14mmF2.8 R
      XF18mmF2 R
      XF35mmF1.4 R
      XF60mmF2.4 R Macro
      XF18-55mmF2.8–4 R LM OIS

2. Addition of a “Focus Peak Highlight” function for manual focusing. A “Focus Peak Highlight” function, as featured on the FUJIFILM X100S and X20 cameras, has been added to the X-Pro1 and X-E1 via this firmware update. It assists accurate and sensitive manual focusing by enhancing the outline of your subject in high contrast.

3. Improvement of the method to change magnification during manual focus. Just press the dial to activate image magnification during manual focus and then rotate the dial right or left and the camera will alternate between 3x and 10x, whichever direction you turn.

4. Improvement of focus precision in various scenes The focus detection algorithm has been improved to provide more accurate focus precision for low contrast subjects and scenes containing horizontal stripes.

5. XF18-55mmF2.8-4 R LM OIS lens: Optical Image Stabilisation (OIS) is improved when recording videos. The OIS has been improved to reduce image blurring when walking and recording video footage

Via http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/

• Does the X Pro 1 have uncompressed HDMI output ?

• Oh yeah, AFAIK the only recent Finepix camera that has a 3.5mm microphone input jack is the $799 X-S1 with the 24-624 Fujinon lens. So, if you wan to feed superior audio into the camera via a shotgun or wireless or XLR adapter or portable recorder, X-S1 is the way to go.

• Re. recording bitrate.... although Fujifilm does not publish this, I was told "unofficially" by a Fujifilm USA chap that all of their cameras X10, X100, X-S1, and I assume X-Pro1 aswell record at 17Mb/sec, and not at 24Mbit. Dang.

So, what we would really need is a boost in the bitrate and also make it inraframe somehow. Plueeese!!! I am desperate in getting a pair of X-S1s.

• Bolting on other lenses--which is the m4/3 strength--is always touchy on larger sensors because of the angle of the light. Remains to be seen. And it is a chunky little number.

• Anyone know what the video bitrate is on this?

• I lost most of my apetite for this camera when I learned that the Fuji lenses are focus-on-wire and aperture-on-wire. I hate it. Can you adopt MFT lenses on this camera?

• I am in two minds as to whether the built in anti-moire capabilities of the X-Trans sensor will make any difference to video. Surely moire is product of poor downscaling not the sensor?

• Remember to check info and photos at CES 2012 topic.

• Could be a great low light cam. Still waiting for real samples.....the annoying thing is that by now someone should have popped an SDHC card in this thing and hit the video button (or button "combo"). Lurkers, where are you?

• I like... X-Pro1's hood.

• I hate to be a downer here but usually after seeing a dozen photos online I can tell if the camera is going to produce really sharp pictures. Another piece of info is the sample images on the company website--one has to assume that is the best they can do. And in this case, the colors look very good, but the image looks a bit soft. I'm hoping this cam will surprise me, but I'm not optimistic. Hey, maybe all it needs is a nice sharp m4/3 prime :)

• Not being able to see a 100% crop doesn't say much about native resolving power. The grain looks ok, better than my 7D, about like some shots with my 6Mp Nikon D50.

Here's a 100% crop from my D50 shot at 800 ISO to highlight the grain. image

• Oh yes.. let's judge a camera's still capabilities on a macro image with unbelievably short DOF. :)

• Does it have a built-in set of discrete ND filters?

• For sure dynamic range and picture quality will be top notch!! Look at the picture quality of the X100, it's just great!

• You picked out the by far worst sample picture there is :) That image is unbelievably bad, I remember it being the 35mm at f1.4 and I really hope they missed focus about some mm for that pic.

But yeah, they have been talking large about resolution so expectations are high. I'm more interested in the dynamic range boost, waiting for some examples.

• I've now see a bunch of photos, and I wouldn't say there is anything there that looks "sharp". Here is a fullsize jpeg, hope this is not the best this cam can do. Because Fuji, you have a camera that is slightly chunky, slightly bigger, slightly slower lenses which are also chunky, there better be some serious IQ to go with this chunkiness. http://dcfever.com/articles/news/2012/01/120110_xpro1_06l.jpg

• Guys, I think this thing was made 99,98% for photography. Video mode was just a checkbox.

I alto thought I read that you can also set shutter in menu. I think this might well be the perfect photo camera. Olympus has a digital OM coming though... maybe it will have good video options. The market is getting crowded. Companies just need to step away from those stupid AVCHD format specifications (and offer higher bitrates and framerates).