Personal View site logo
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • @RRRR Yup, works fine in 5.5. I'm just getting started on Hacked footage. So far... It holds up really well, and GHrain Killer has no trouble at all nixing any noise in the footage.

• @shian Great work! Just got signed up and I've only started to scratch on the surface but it looks really good and useful, so far! I can't use it for everything (plenty of jobs that don't have the time / budget for this kind of work) but I will take every chance I get to scratch / dig deeper. Have you gotten around to tampering with gop1 material yet? Personally, I'm amazed with how well it holds up for pretty harsh CC, straight from the camera.

Another thing; I didn't take the time to try it - but - does it work with CS5.5 aswell?

• I don't have NeatVideo - so a side by side would have to be done by someone with both. @artiswar is the only one with both that I know of, and he's said that GHrainKiller was faster, so if he would do a side by side on the footage from JoBless (cuz the noise on that is nasty) it would be a good litmus test, not to mention, he could verify from my screen cap settings that my test was genuine.

• Agreed with above, if there any comparisons in noise reduction between Neat Video and ColorGHear it would definitely help my buying decision. If ColorGHear prooves to be around the same or better than Neat Video I will definitely be buying it.

• Any chance we can see a side-by-side comparison of GHrain Killer and Neat Video? More than anything, I'd be interested in how they compare on performance. NeatVideo tends to take quite a lot of processing power to do its thing, and if GHrain Killer can beat it on performance while still preserving detail and sharpness, you may have a major selling point for your product.

I'm also very interested in the rest of the GHears and how I might be able to fit them into my Pr/Ae workflow. But if there's one thing about the whole suite that's piqued my interest, it's GHrain Killer.

• Thanks @shian! I'm really enjoying the tutorials and looking forward to more of them.

I've been playing with Handbrake to transcode with x254vfw which seems to be doing a great job and it eats DNxHD very nicely. I'm on windows.

http://handbrake.fr

• Tutorial explaining my render settings for both AFX and QT Pro is live on the site now! Link to download .aom file so you can instantly import my exact export settings and use them right away, is available on member download page.

Tutorial on using Automatic duck, and grading whole sequences will be recorded today, and hopefully live this afternoon, or tonight.

• @everyone Vimeo has an excellent help section for exporting high quality H264. They include almost every program you can export from. I've found that if you get too much compression artifacting you can simply jack up the data rate settings.

http://vimeo.com/help/compression

But I get much better results when I export ProRes 444 and then follow the vimeo guidelines for QT Pro to export to Mp4 and I use 8000 (or higher for problem encodes) for my bitrate. (If you are running out of disk space, you can delete the ProRes after exporting your compressed file)

• Thanks, you guys must be psychic! :) I asked about exporting and you are providing me with a solution for another problem I didn't said I have (importing).

Thanks again.

(edited out a question looking for a Clipwrap Windows 64 solution)

• @duartix Avid's DNxHD is nice for editting :) Yes AE does handle straight mts files fine.

http://www.avid.com/US/industries/workflow/DNxHD-Codec

• @duartix Clipwrap, puts only a mov wrapper around, no transcoding. I think Shian said AE can also take straight mts files.

• This is probably way off topic, and Shian has it covered lightly in one of the tutorials, but does anyone has any info (or can point to) on downright to earth codec settings (like h264) for exporting my final results? Shian talks about ProRes 4:4:4 full Intra IIRC, but I would like to know if instead I could use something that wont fill my disc within one week... TIA.

• I'm going through the tutorials. At $25, the whole package including the premium membership is a total bargain. I know bits and pieces about AE, and @shian's tutorials cover more than just color correction.

• @shian I thought it was $25. But why is it $50 on the web page?

Edit: never mind. "Join" link has $50 price where "shop" link has $25.

• @mozes So far it's not playing well with bootcamp and parallels, so it'll have to wait till I get my old windows machine working again. (I think there's a short in the board or maybe one of the RAM DIMMs it runs fine for about 30 minutes then it just shuts down, like someone pulled the plug.)

Thanks for the tip

• shian, have you check if it works in www.lightworksbeta.com its open source, and supports AE effect as third party.

• @Vitaliy Not to split hairs, but to say i didn't do any programming is not entirely accurate. I did do extensive expressions scripting on the 3-way and ColorFist presets, those 2 are not possible without programming.

• I changed title. From now on it'll be "presets collection" All all people must treat such. As authors did not program anything as he said himself.

• @Pechente Because unlike most preset collections, or "looks" this goes way beyond a look suite. When used as directed it adds a broader functionality to AE. or at the very least opens up access to it's full functionality. There just isn't a simple term for what this is. It's a hybrid, not a true plugin, and not just presets.

I lack the programming skill to create it as a true plug-in, so I did what I would have done with the plugin if I could program one, only through means of a back-door, so to speak. AE is extremely powerful, but if you don't know how to make it work for you to accomplish what you want to do, its useless. I've created a system, that allows even beginners with no AE experience to access the full power of AE to color grade their footage, quickly, easily, and very, very effectively.

As I've said before, you're not so much paying for the toolkit, as you are paying for my knowledge, along with it, you get the toolkit, a toolkit that has the potential to evolve into something more than it is now, and access to my experience and tutelage through the site.

Calling it a plugin saves time. If it gets results, why waste time debating the semantics of the issue?

• I don't get why this is always called a "plugin", this is a collection of presets. Bought it anyway since I think 25$ isn't too much for some presets that would take me days to create.

• All right, I wanna know right now, who's responsible for this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ColorGHear :)

• Well... the grain killer is really nice thing to have! This was shot on my backup GH13.. so GH2 can take some rest.. :)

I´m now uploading some of these raw files to @shian so he can develop some more things specially for GH1.

colorghear1.png
    3838 x 1080 - 4M
    colorghear2.png
    3840 x 1080 - 4M
  • @chauncy you can use GHrain Killer for that, there's an example of it in the Primer part 2

• @shian GHrain Killa' @ 44%

This footage is pretty grainy in the first place. Shot w/Quantum 5 and 100-300mm lens. I like the GK.

cc_gk.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions