Personal View site logo
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • @shian

Maybe you could in short point out the monitor you're using for color and how to properly calibrate it. Sorry if i missed you said already anthing about this. I haven't had time to go through the tutorials, but i'm looking forward to it this weekend.
  • Hi shian im getting interested on your plug, mainly tough for the tutorials part and seeing how a pro works that is very instructive for me so thank you.

i got to see how i manage to send you the 25 us im from argentina and online money its not as easy here haha
    i think sometimes it could be easier to just send a letter haha same goes to donating to vitaly!
  • @jobless Here I've done a quick 5 minute SpeedGrade/ Davinci-esque grade on the shot you made available to us. Everything here was drag and drop, no tweaks, only mixing opacity. The last adjustment layer has nothing on it, I was going to add ColorFist but I liked it the way it was.

GHears used: ADJUSTMENTS>Shadow Lift - 64%, DSLR Fixit>FCP>CineGH Lo Contrast Flat - 100%, Punches>GHrain Killer 71%

Included are RAW, RAW Noise Analysis Blu Channel, Graded Blu CH, and final Grade without the loss of detail in the hair.

Examine the difference in noise between the RAW and final, especially in the cabinets just over the little girl's head, and in the blinds. GHrain Killer FTW??

Those of you with CGT, download jobless's clip and try this for yourselves, you'll see super quick, smooth results.

BTW What lens is this? I really like it.
    00016 RAW.png
    2238 x 1356 - 2M
    00016 RAW Blu CH.png
    2235 x 1341 - 1M
    00016 CGT correction Blu Ch.png
    2239 x 1337 - 1M
    00016 CGT correction.png
    2237 x 1322 - 2M
    opacity mix.png
    564 x 179 - 39K
    CGT Correction with last layer turned off for doubters..png
    2236 x 1318 - 2M
  • @everyone
    If you have any doubts about CGT is say take the risk. I just got it a couple days ago. To be honest, I haven't had much time to mess around with it other than a few initial tests. I haven't had time to view all the tutorials either. But, if you are in a similar situation as I was/am, I think the $25 is well worth it. I am just starting to learn about color grading, up to now my only real experience was using the 3-way color corrector in Premiere and AE. My personal opinion is that CGT offers an easy to use means of color grading. From the work I have seen done with CGT already, I'm sure once I get time to watch the tutorials, it will change everything. Like I said, for only $25, its well worth it if you are in a similar situation, if you are a color grading pro and have more expensive color grading programs, then maybe you can wait and we will show you what we can do with it.

@shain
    I love the idea of the challenge you put forward with everyone editing the same MTS clip. If you decide to do this, I will be first in line to join. Best of Luck.
  • @x_worpig_x no worries. We're cool.
  • @shian I hope I didn't come off as a dick. I just wanted to give my honest opinion. I know you put a lot of work into this and we should all appreciate that.

I'm just about to shoot the rest of a short film tonight and i'll go through ColorGHear respectively and watch the tutorials. I'll definitely give it chance then. I'll post some grabs once I have something. ( Filmed with QuantumV6 )
  • And for future reference, I welcome challenges, criticism, etc... BUT just to weed out trolls, and competitors' employees sent to slam CGT for fear of losing customers, I will ask that if you claim to be a CGT user that you PM me your email address so I can confirm your purchase.

I'm not accusing anyone of being a troll, I've only seen a few around here in the past 5 months that I've been a member, but CGT has the potential to hurt the sales figures of many more expensive grading/ denoising platforms, so they would be smart to try and crush ColorGHear before it hits critical mass and people discover they've been paying too much for too little. And I want to make sure you are happy with Toolkit. If there are ways I can improve it, improve the tutorials, let me know.
  • @x_worpig_x Well, you sound like a seasoned vet in After Effects. Take a look at the tutorials, keep in mind if you are an advanced user, there won't be a TON of revelations there for you in the first 4, but more than a few. The more advanced stuff is coming.

I've been swamped with site issues, and chasing down the CS4 Windows bug, but I will try my best to get #5 up today. And by #12 I think you'll see where CGT will speed up your workflow, and give you fantastic results, and that's really what I'm about, is results. The Toolkit is built around everything that's already available to you in AE, but repackaged in an easy to use fashion with tweaks based on my experience, and finally used in a way that gets results. So what you are paying for isn't so much the toolkit, but the knowledge of how to use it get great looking images.

And if after that you're still not impressed, I issue a challenge. For someone to find a short 5-10s clip an MTS file that can be quickly downloaded, and everyone can take a stab at it, participants can use whatever CC suite or program they desire. And then we compare results. What I'd be interested to see is those who have multiple programs, and see what kind of results you get with Colorista vs MBL, vs CGT vs Resolve, vs FCP-X, etc.

I will abstain from the challenge for fairness as I have unfair advantage, I do this for a living. ( i might actually do a screencast of me using CGT on the footage just to prove a point about speed and ease, but I'll hold that off till all the results are in.)

• @ shian I bought your product, and I'm not that happy with it. I didn't look at any of the tutorials yet, but from what i've tinkered with right off the bat, I don't see a huge gain over the original tools in after effects.

I'm hoping the tutorials will help enlighten me.
  • Great support! Got the plugin via e-mail since the site's not working right now. I always received a reply nearly instantly on both Twitter and mail :) Hope the plugin is as good as the support, I'm gonna test it now.
  • I looked on http://host-tracker.com and there's widespread problems with resolving DNSs outside the US hopefully it'll be restored soon.
  • shian sorry man,i m in russia now and sometimes is a problem in the net
  • Looking forward to read Personal-View member experiences guys. Is this software really as good as @shian says it is?
  • @derek per Vitaliy, please direct tech support questions to PM or email - colorghear@gmail.com

This seems to be a problem outside the US. The site is working fine here. I will call my host right now to find out why, and fix it. My apologies.
  • Seems to be a problem with the host. I can access the website through TOR or proxies but I don't wanna put in my login information through this ;D I guess we'll have to wait.
  • Server not foun
    Firefox can't find the server at www.colorghear.com.
  • @proaudio4 They're not my words. Read back about page and half, neat video users that have bought ColorGHear are already bemoaning the neat video purchase, calling CGT faster and superior, and I haven't even shown them how to really use it yet, other than the default settings. but the skinny on GhrainKiller is quoted below

"GHrain Killer is the similar to Neatvideo - a statistical estimation temporal denoising filter, using the de-noising engine that comes with AE, but with one MAJOR distinction: it targets the kind of noise and artifacting native to DSLR footage, and I show you (well, I will show you in the tutorial that comes out this week) how to identify and target certain kinds of noise, and then create better sampling, which is the key to noise removal with image retention.

But even the default settings do a great job of killing noise."

I estimated GhrainKiller to be a nice little feature, not a competition for NeatVideo, but if it really is better, then why spend $50 for a de-noiser, when you can spend half that (for now) for a color grading monster with a really awesome denoiser built in?

• Waste their money on Neat Video?
    That's a tall order.

Please explain how GhrainKiller reduces chroma and luma noise levels?

I don't mean to come off snide, I'm just interested in this.
  • http://personal-view.com./talks/discussion/1914/denoising-footage-collection-for-future-reference

Apparently some people still don't know about GhrainKiller, I guess I better hurry up and get the tutorial finished and online before more people regret spending money on Neat Video.
  • @toxotis70 Yes. ColorGHear has over 75 nodes (or GHears) that are designed to be used together to give you a quick and powerful color grading toolset. It includes 3 of what I think are extremely versatile and powerful tools. and they are GHrainKiller, Spectral Enhancer, and ColorFist. GHrainKiller does what the name implies, the Spectral Enhancers will make your colors pop, and ColorFist will do almost everything Colorista and MBL will do, plus a few added features. And in one of the upcoming tutorials I'll show users how to add Secondary Color Correction to the mix WITHOUT using ColorFinesse. The overall workflow will take a little getting used to because its quite different than anything else you've probably used, but in under 2 days of having the plug-in I'm already seeing users getting the hang of it, and producing excellent results, and I'm sure as the tutorial series on the site expands to cover the full potential of the toolkit we'll start seeing ASTOUNDING results.
  • GHrainKiller is part of ColorGHear ?
  • Well, yesterday I gave AEX Grain Removal a test drive and I could see it's on the same level as NeatVideo... Since GHrainKiller is based on it, I'm pretty much sold, now all I have to do is try to get my AEX setup straight.
  • Thanks Shian. I had a few problems initially getting the zip file to work but now it's working & am amazed what I'm able to do so easily. Thanks for the hard work and great product, look forward to the continuing development.
  • The twitter account is online, there's a link to it on the website. It's simply @ColorGHear So go ahead and follow ColorGhear, mention it. I'll definitely be using it in the manner you mentioned.
  • @shian Any plans for Twitter account updates (where you could post dev updates, tutorials in development, short tips, users videos sharing... and people can easily follow news around it) so we can make some buzz around ColorGHear on twitter.. :) With my next GH2 on the way I'll finally buy ColorGHear and I'd be happy to share some experiences with others there :-)
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions