Personal View site logo
SIGMA fp Cinema Camera with CinemaDNG raw
  • 199 Replies sorted by
  • @independent

I don't agree with everything Vitaly says but he's right here modern camera manufacturers are in it for ramping up all the costs to consumers.

Let me explain why and how it happens.

Top management always lived on growing market, and suddenly it started to shrink. In large part not because of all smartphone revolution, but because of camera companies willing to stay hardware only business and not being large enough and standard enough.

In such situation companies are like players in the game, in each round they want to survive till the next round. And companies who will get maximal profits will survive each turn for sure. Hence the price hikes. They look at each other and set goal to not have margins less than your competition.

Of course, strategically for camera industry, thing that they are doing is suicide. But as it is competing capitalist entries they do not care about strategy, they want to survive each specific turn. And surviving means making thing worse with each hour overall.

• Making a small, high-performance camera is more expensive than I would have expected. Not only money but also advanced technology are required. SIGMA went all-out.

from L rumors

• The proof will be in the pudding, and it will need to be delicious pudding if the price is over 1k imho ;)

sa9193.jpg
    796 x 521 - 131K
    sa9194.jpg
    792 x 522 - 127K
    sa9195.jpg
    790 x 597 - 70K
  • @mee

As far as I understand Sigma cameras management - they always aim at small niches and set strange prices.

So, I expect that we can see around $2500 and even up to $4000. As they view this camera mainly as premium directors VF.

• @VK, You may be right, and usually are, but I really think this one is going to be much closer to 1K. There needs to be serious reclamation of momentum to get consumers primed for the 2020 games. There is a vibe in Japanese camera shops that is hard to describe, and out of respect I won't try, but it's obvious there has been several gear shifts and adjustments over the last several months.

• On September 30th, Sigma released 3D data of the mirrorless camera “SIGMA fp” and related accessories scheduled to be released this fall.

Currently available data for download include fp camera body, optional hand grip, mount converter MC-21, and LCD viewfinder LVF-11. Both are provided as STEP files.

https://www.sigma-global.com/jp/cameras/fp-series/download/

• An unofficial but well-informed source, photographer Kimio Tanaka, told that the Sigma fp should be launched around the 20th of October.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Did your source indicate cost, at all? I am assuming that this camera will continue the "trend" you accurately predicted of high price, higher margins? Or am I reading too much into the fact that there's been no pricing info released yet...

• @tfinn

It is not my source, he posted info on Twitter.

Will be expensive as far as I know. Sigma do not make it as mass cameras, most of cameras they made sold in tiny amounts.

• The retail price of “SIGMA fp” to be reserved this week seems to be 220,000 yen including body tax and 264,000 yen including 45mm lens kit.

Sigma fp accessories are listed on the sales price list of domestic mass merchandisers. Scheduled to be released on October 25 [HG-11: 6600 yen including tax, LVF-11: 33000 yen, BPL-11: 8800 yen, CR-41: 4400 yen, CN-21: 1760 yen, BC-71: 11000 yen, SAC-7P: 6600 yen]. Scheduled to be released in November 2019 [HG-21: 11000 yen].

• 264,000 yen , around $2,500 USD.

• @jleo

This is with lens.

US price must be around $1899-1999 for body.

And I expect it to drop to $999 in a year.

• the Sigma website itself let the cat out of the bag. As pointed out by Photo Rumors, the source code of the Sigma fp website revealed that the pricing would actually be $1,899.

So, I had been spot on.

• Vk , should we expect good IQ,color and DR from this camera?

• In two years top smartphones will have a very good camera. The makers of traditional cameras need to low the prices or the will really risk to go out of market.

• @danilo1

Do not worry so much.

Around 90% of smartphones image improvement comes from software and stacking already. In 2 years it will become 99%.

The turn back to large sensors cameras will be staggering and, most probably, will catch Japanese management unprepared.

• PR

Sigma Corporation of America, a leading camera, photography lens, cine lens, flash and accessories manufacturer, today announced that its all-new full-frame mirrorless digital camera, the Sigma fp, will begin shipping on October 25, 2019. The Sigma fp will retail for $1,899 USD for the camera body alone and $2,199 USD for the camera with the Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN Contemporary lens from authorized Sigma dealers.

Sigma fp Key Features:

The World’s Smallest & Lightest Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera

With dimensions of 112.6×69.9×45.3mm and body weight of 370g, the all-new Sigma fp is the world’s smallest and lightest full-frame mirrorless digital camera; it is equipped with a 24.6 megapixel Bayer full-frame sensor. Purpose-built with durability in mind, its dust and splash-proof body make it ideal for long hours in various shooting environments while the absence of a mechanical shutter removes the potential for noise and shutter shock while increasing reliability.

Dual-Purpose with Support for 12-bit CinemaDNG

The Sigma fp is capable of full-fledged video production, supporting 12-bit CinemaDNG external recording for RAW video data and 4K UHD/24fps recording. Alternating between still and cine shooting modes is possible with a simple flip of a switch. Each mode comes with a specially designed operation system and displays, making it possible to concentrate on shooting in each mode, stress-free.

Native L-Mount

The Sigma fp uses the L-mount, characterized by a short flange focal length, large diameter, and superior durability. In addition to the wide-ranging choices of Sigma lenses, other manufacturers’ lenses can be used through the L-Mount Alliance with Leica Camera AG and Panasonic Corporation. With the Sigma Mount Converter MC-21, Sigma SA mount and Sigma Canon EF mount lenses can also be used.

Additional information can be found on the Sigma website: https://www.sigmaphoto.com/sigma-fp