Personal View site logo
25mm f1.4 Leica DG Summilux
  • 89 Replies sorted by
  • Forgot to mention I used AFS on the video above, centered focus.
    The focus hunting happens only when light is too low or if you are to close the object (min distance 0.3).
    During day light there was no focus hunting.
  • @Shield
    KEH is one of more reputable sources of used lenses on the web and their prices are a good gauge of current resale values.

The Four Thirds 25mm f1.4 has a 62mm filter ring and is much larger than the M4/3 version, which accepts 46mm filters. The M4/3 version supports AFC as well as AFS auto-focus modes. If you turn off Continuous AF in the menus, the M4/3 lens will stop hunting during video takes, and you can still auto-focus it with a half-click of the shutter button. The legacy Four Thirds version does not hunt since it doesn't support Continuous AF.
  • What is Keh? How does this compare to the newer m 4/3rds version? My micro version focuses lightning quick, but I have to use it in manual mode for video since it hunts a lot.
  • The legacy Four Thirds version of the Leica 25mm f1.4 has been discontinued by Panasonic, but you can still find it at KEH or eBay. Its price has been dropping and I picked one up for $500. While it requires a Four Thirds adapter, it has the distinction of being the only auto-focus prime that comes with a manual aperture ring. It will also auto-focus on the GH1 as well as the GH2, and it's by far the fastest focusing Four Thirds lens I've seen yet, phenomenal in near darkness.

Apparently, the only difference in the names Panasonic gave these two lenses is "DG Summilux" for the M4/3 version versus "D Summilux" for the legacy Four Thirds lens:

http://www.photozone.de/olympus--four-thirds-lens-tests/509-leica25f14
  • Here a test video in low light conditions, wanted to test auto focus ...

If light is such low there is a focus hunting ...
  • I just ordered mine... can't wait...
  • At times, I miss my pancake, just for the size. Fell out of my boot bag at the ski hill last year...
  • @mimirsan
    thanks for sharing your thoughts! And beautiful little girl you have..

Does anyone owns the scheneider kreuznach 25mm 1.4 and can add any comments?

looks like a pleasant lens... Have only seen some footage from seb farges, but would like to hear an opinion or see some more samples. anyone?
  • @Mimirsan
    Its pretty bad...

The image quality on this lens has got me hooked, it's as good as in the bag!
    Just really wondering about breathing so I'm prepared for it.
    Thanks for the info :)
  • @matthere
    Its pretty bad...as bad as the 20mm...so not ideal for follow focus. I used to lock focus like I did with the 20mm f1.7.
    It does focus faster than the 20mm though.
  • I hope will have time to make a test video next week ...
  • I'm really interested in the Leica 25mm, despite having the Nokton, which I am very happy with.
    Could anyone comment on the Leica "Breathing" issue, I have seen it on some footage and it seems like it's pretty unacceptable to keep that in a shot, but I'd like to know how often it occurs?
    Can obviously use manual focus to avoid it, but it would be nice to use the lens on auto without it "breathing" too often :)
  • @stonebat, sure i will sell a 20mm it's only 4 months old as new, will sell kit 14-45 lens too,
    will keep 14mm 2.5 ...
    The 25mm 1.4 is great pretty fast AF too, good for action video will stabilizer where you can not use manual focus lens.
    I'm pretty impressed with 25mm 1.4 ...
    (next might be Nokton ...)
  • Better sell the 20mm fast. I might be able to get $300 from selling my 2 years old pancake.
  • I got 25mm f1.4 Leica DG Summilux today,
    very happy :-)

will be selling pancacke 20/1.7 ...
    also own Nikon 50mm 1.4 that somehow has better shallow DOF than leica, it might be that it is a 100mm on GH2 ...
  • Get the Nokton. I love my copy (which was purchased in japan) and I recently acquired the Revuenon 55mm /1.2
    When fully opened, the Rev behaves like the 0.95, lots of soft glow on the edges of the image.
    Many different views out there about the Revuenon, some say it's a remake of the Tomioka, some say it's
    a rebranded Cosina. I am convinced it is most likely a Cosina, who most probably honed their craft of making fast lenses on this lens before they progressed onto something like the 0.95
  • Hi european friends. In USA, the Leica is just little over $500. This will be my first Leica lens. Exciting!!!
  • Agreed the Nokton 0.95 is very easy to find in UK plus the Leica's been available for ages.
    General price
    £625 Nokton (worth every penny)
    £475 Leica (worth every penny)
    Japan is MEAN to retailers in the US of A ;-)
  • Here in France the Nokton is at 720€ (960USD) and the Leica is at 550€ (740USD), the price ratio is clearly not 1:2. We almost never had problems finding the Nokton in Europe. Japanese are not silly, they can sell their products in Europe for almost the same price in Euro than in Dollars in US ...
  • This is kinda fuked up. Initially the resellers soaked up all preorders. They jacked up the price of the Nokton to $1299 at one point. Now they seem rushing to exit. Frankly I wish they make sharper 1.4 lens at lower price.

BTW there seems 1:2 in price ratio between the Leica and the Nokton.
  • It's such a great lens. But priced wildly. We need more competition.
  • Nokton 25mm 0.95 price is about $1K. Leica 25mm 1.4 DG is about half the price.

I didn't wanna get heartburn, either. So I ordered the Leica :)
  • @ Ian T
    Thanks!
    Three girls? Oh boy are you outnumbered! I remember seeing a video of yours (with super takumar?) of your girls and thought they must be a handful! Congrats though! ;-)
    Thats the thing with the Leica..these are on a GF1 and quick snapshots and it brings out the details especially in colour...dont really get this from my other lenses.

As for lumix lenses optically theyre all great ...cant see how anyone could dismiss them.
    Just a shame about the plastic...but thats how lenses are these days.
  • @Mimirsan Your baby girl is adorable. Love the way her blue eyes pop in these images. Looks like some pro shots.

Anyways my wife and I are having our 3rd (girl) in about a month.
  • Well, it may just be personal taste then. I just don't like the image. In terms of build quality and features, I really liked the Vario 14-140mm, but the image just wasn't that filmic. They just don't seem like they have enough contrast to really take advantage of the DR of the GH2 sensor.