Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
25mm f1.4 Leica DG Summilux
  • 89 Replies sorted by
  • Better sell the 20mm fast. I might be able to get $300 from selling my 2 years old pancake.
  • @stonebat, sure i will sell a 20mm it's only 4 months old as new, will sell kit 14-45 lens too,
    will keep 14mm 2.5 ...
    The 25mm 1.4 is great pretty fast AF too, good for action video will stabilizer where you can not use manual focus lens.
    I'm pretty impressed with 25mm 1.4 ...
    (next might be Nokton ...)
  • I'm really interested in the Leica 25mm, despite having the Nokton, which I am very happy with.
    Could anyone comment on the Leica "Breathing" issue, I have seen it on some footage and it seems like it's pretty unacceptable to keep that in a shot, but I'd like to know how often it occurs?
    Can obviously use manual focus to avoid it, but it would be nice to use the lens on auto without it "breathing" too often :)
  • I hope will have time to make a test video next week ...
  • @matthere
    Its pretty bad...as bad as the 20mm...so not ideal for follow focus. I used to lock focus like I did with the 20mm f1.7.
    It does focus faster than the 20mm though.
  • @Mimirsan
    Its pretty bad...

The image quality on this lens has got me hooked, it's as good as in the bag!
    Just really wondering about breathing so I'm prepared for it.
    Thanks for the info :)
  • @mimirsan
    thanks for sharing your thoughts! And beautiful little girl you have..

Does anyone owns the scheneider kreuznach 25mm 1.4 and can add any comments?

looks like a pleasant lens... Have only seen some footage from seb farges, but would like to hear an opinion or see some more samples. anyone?
  • At times, I miss my pancake, just for the size. Fell out of my boot bag at the ski hill last year...
  • I just ordered mine... can't wait...
  • Here a test video in low light conditions, wanted to test auto focus ...

If light is such low there is a focus hunting ...
  • The legacy Four Thirds version of the Leica 25mm f1.4 has been discontinued by Panasonic, but you can still find it at KEH or eBay. Its price has been dropping and I picked one up for $500. While it requires a Four Thirds adapter, it has the distinction of being the only auto-focus prime that comes with a manual aperture ring. It will also auto-focus on the GH1 as well as the GH2, and it's by far the fastest focusing Four Thirds lens I've seen yet, phenomenal in near darkness.

Apparently, the only difference in the names Panasonic gave these two lenses is "DG Summilux" for the M4/3 version versus "D Summilux" for the legacy Four Thirds lens:

http://www.photozone.de/olympus--four-thirds-lens-tests/509-leica25f14
  • What is Keh? How does this compare to the newer m 4/3rds version? My micro version focuses lightning quick, but I have to use it in manual mode for video since it hunts a lot.
  • @Shield
    KEH is one of more reputable sources of used lenses on the web and their prices are a good gauge of current resale values.

The Four Thirds 25mm f1.4 has a 62mm filter ring and is much larger than the M4/3 version, which accepts 46mm filters. The M4/3 version supports AFC as well as AFS auto-focus modes. If you turn off Continuous AF in the menus, the M4/3 lens will stop hunting during video takes, and you can still auto-focus it with a half-click of the shutter button. The legacy Four Thirds version does not hunt since it doesn't support Continuous AF.
  • Forgot to mention I used AFS on the video above, centered focus.
    The focus hunting happens only when light is too low or if you are to close the object (min distance 0.3).
    During day light there was no focus hunting.
  • @LPowell - "If you turn off Continuous AF in the menus, the M4/3 lens will stop hunting during video takes, and you can still auto-focus it with a half-click of the shutter button."

Every time I try this during movie mode, it stops recording with any press of the shutter button. I have verified that continuous auto focus is turned off in the menus. Any other special setting I need to have to get this to work? I am able to touch focus with the LCD screen, but this half-shutter press during video mode I've never been able to get work. I lightly touch it and it stops recording.
  • Grow a smaller finger ;)
  • I think this only works in manual movie mode and not 24p cinema mode. The shutter "half-press" auto focus while recording, correct?
    Is it refocusing because you can take stills while shooting a movie in this mode?
    No matter what settings I try, in 24p mode I cannot "re-autofocus" WHILE recording.

Any half press of the shutter stops the recording. Being able to push focus without using continuous autofocus in video mode (due to the hunting) would be amazing.
    Anyone?
  • Also, this works if I tap the screen, but not a half shutter press.
    Thanks,
    Shawn
  • Ok, figured it out. It's not just a simple "half-click". You have to half-click and HOLD. HOLD being the key word. You have to hold the half shutter for 2-3 seconds, then a green box appears on the LCD and it refocuses.
    Also during this half/click hold, you can adjust the focus manually by rotating the focus ring.

After 6 months I'm STILL learning amazing things about this camera!
    Shawn
  • Voigt 25mm 0.95 for 740 EURO or Pana 25mm F/1.4 for 539 EURO? Is the Voigt worth 200 EXTRA? And is the F/1.4 worth 200 EURO premium compared to 20mm F/1.7?
  • Also, has anyone done a comparison between the Pan-Leica 25/1.4 and the Sigma 30/1.4?
    The 25 must be 'crisper' then the 30 wide open? I'm guessing the Sigma is more similar to the Voigt then
    the Panny.
  • @pvjames
    Compared to the legacy Four Thirds version of the Leica 25mm f1.4, the Sigma 30mm f1.4 is not very sharp at its widest apertures. Its auto-focusing speed on the GH2 is also much slower than the 25mm, and the 30mm won't auto-focus at all on the GH1. Here's links to detailed reviews:

http://www.photozone.de/olympus--four-thirds-lens-tests/509-leica25f14

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/298-sigma-af-30mm-f14-ex-hsm-dc-test-report--review
  • @LPowell.

Thanks for the info. I really want to check out the 25mm. Its on my list.
  • I recently bought a GH2 with the Leica/Summilux 25/1.4 - really nice lens.

Was hoping I could match it up with some old FD lenses that I have from the old days - a 50/1.4 and a 35/2.

I think they will be very tough to match...

Summilux is a much sharper lens and warmer compared to the FD's.

What lenses in the 35 to 55mm range match up well with the Leica/Summilux ?

Thanks!

Chris
  • @ctbehrens get Rokinon 35mm F/1.4