Personal View site logo
Panasonic G80 / G85 / G8 4K 5-axis stab magnesium monster
  • 511 Replies sorted by
  • Hi, this model have always his problem of stabilisation in 2018 ?

https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/20979-warning-about-panasonic-g8580-lens/

• Was all black clothing in front of a black back drop an intentional choice?

• A foot away from the Schoeps MK41, the G85 really did not produce anything the mics care about. There's just some intermittent freeway noise.

• PANASONIC LUMIX G85 4K Mirrorless Camera, with 12-60mm Lens Holiday bundle, $799

https://www.focuscamera.com/panasonic-lumix-g85-4k-mirrorless-camera-with-12-60mm-lens-holiday-bundle.html

sa5666.jpg
    467 x 462 - 33K
  • I'm sorry my interview won't be finished for a few weeks, but I placed the G85 right under my studio mics--in this case I used the standard Schoeps MK 41. Of course, the MK41 has nulls similar to a figure of eight mic, which is one reason why everyone uses them (the other reason is that they sound better). I didn't notice any noise from the camera in the interview. Of course, if you put the mic right next to the camera body you can pick up the whirr, just as you can when using an IS lens on a silent camera.
    I suppose it would be nice to be able to turn of the inbuilt IS, but it isn't such a big deal. If you want silent, get the super cheap G7.

• Really loving this camera. Super versatile.

• I'm doing a short interview tonight I'll hook up the G85 next to the mics.

• Nice stuffed animal=Cherubashka = "creature of unknown origin". My daughter has one of those. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheburashka

I can't really hear any objectionable noise, but, my computer's fan is pretty loud so may be drowning it out?

• I'm not sure what that guy is on about. I've tried a number of mics on my G80 and I don't get that noise. Maybe he's running a line signal from a recorder that's plugged in to a wall socket? The only noise I get is a soft 'breathy' noise, that is basically constant with IBIS on. You can hear it in the first part of this clip with my high sensitivity mic. But it is barely noticeable with a lower sensitivity directional mic like the Boya BY-MM1 (used in the second part). And the tiny buzzing sounds are flies on the window.

• You can rent one from LensRentals to try it out.

Not when I'm in New Zealand

• It doesn't make a lot of noise, but it does make a tiny bit. You can rent one from LensRentals to try it out.

• Wellllllllll.......... this guy doesn't like the noise from the G85:

• @Ironfilm, yeah, but focus lock really does lock it. I've had several issue with a multicam setup where I'm guessing someone just brushed the cam one way or the other and the focus was moved a fraction. A fraction is, well, crap most of the time. In MF mode, well, the camera will go out of focus if you sneeze on it.

@Firworks thanks, I suppose it is too much to hope for in a firmware update although I'm sure they could do it. Don't want to upgrade a six pack of cameras for this feature but I would like to have it.

• It's pretty easy to knock a M43 lens out of focus though. I've done it many times on my G85 and ruined a video. That would be a nice feature to have and I was going to say the G85 doesn't have it but tonight I'll try to mess with the AF/AE Lock and AF ON button/subsystem just to confirm I'm not missing it because if it does have it I want to use it.

• You could always just switch over to MF mode after using AF to set focus.

• Locks down the focus so if someone bumps the camera or inadvertently moves the lens, the focus stays locked. It's crucial for event videos where you have more cams than crew.

• What does that feature do @DrDave?

• Anyone know if the G85 has mf focus lock like the GH5?

• @IronFilm You don't hear the IBIS sound a few feet away, but like all camera sounds it can be an issue if you mount the mic directly on the camera. There's an easy way to describe the level of the sound, which is that it is about the same type of sound and volume as the internal sound from a IS lens, but just a fraction louder.
    The amount that it affects the mic depends on the mic, of course--how directional the mic is and whether you have a teeny shock mount on it.
    In my parallel audio setup, with the mics four or five feet away, I didn't have any issues. However, I did not pair the camera that was next to the mics with an IS lens. Of course, when you do pair the two, you get that nice floaty effect, but this was on a tripod.
    The IQ on the camera is very good.

• Good point!!

• "the shoemaker’s son always goes barefoot"

Have you heard of this riddle:

You visit a very far away and remote village which only has two barbers.

Do you get your haircut from the barber with the excellent haircut or the horrible haircut?

• @firwork yup, compared to the background noise floor it seems I'm worrying over nothing. Am just was way over thinking this.

Unless someone puts out a point and shoot (with 1" sensor or bigger) with a flip up selfie screen AND a mic input, then I reckon the G80 is what matches me best for price/performance ratio. I'll keep an eye out for a super cheap deal, no rush as I still have my G6 :-)

@Grimor ha! Very true, I am indeed lazy as hell when it comes to my vlogs. (So what does a bit higher noise floor really matter? I've put out some truly shocking videos on my YouTube channel after all!! :-o I hate though that one of my worst videos is also my most viewed video of all time )

Partially because I know if I try to aim too high I'll just procrastinate and never put out anything! I have the proof... I have many many gigs of footage on my harddrives for my vlog channel over the last couple years that I might end up never editing together.

Plus trying to think about content/words/performance/lighting/audio/focus/composition/etc etc all at once by yourself and under location/time constraints is surprisingly tricky!

I'm just happy if I put up "anything" each week.

Glad that in spite all that you still enjoy my videos :-) Thank you!

• @IronFilm Ibis noise is not a problem for vlogging. You are a soundie, and lazy as hell too. "the shoemaker’s son always goes barefoot" So G80 Ibis noise is no so bad at all. I upgraded from G6 to G80 and couldnt be happier. P.S: i enjoy your vlogs, unboxing and behind scenes.