Personal View site logo
B4 lenses and mounting solutions
  • 147 Replies sorted by
  • Questech, Hello! I also shoot with Fujinon previous model and I want to ask you as an expert on this subject. what lens do you have on contrast and quality Fujinon B4 or B4 Canon and something that is better extender 2 can be retrofitted, or use the built-in lens extender. thank you!

• Questech, Hello! Please be excused for my bad english I also shoot with Fujinon previous model and I want to ask you as an expert on this subject. what lens do you have on contrast and quality Fujinon B4 or B4 Canon and something that is better extender 2x can be retrofitted, or use the built-in lens extender. thank you!

• canon sh.jpg
    1308 x 1787 - 1M
  • Sorry for bad ENGLISH . The lens does have a bit shading in the corners.Mout with adapter, manual production, which is mounted on extender 2x CANON. I have photographed a f5,6 - 8.

• Good job, results everyone, Question, what is the widest angle you can go without significant vignetting?

• So would I be right in thinking that a built-in extender is pretty much essential for using a B4 lens with an AF101, what with there being no Ex-tele mode?

I'm looking at Fuji lens that has the suffix 'BRM' - there's no 'B' in Querty123's otherwise helpful guide, but I'm guessing that without an 'E' it has no extender - does that make it a no-go for use with an AF101, or would that depend on other factors?

• "B" is Fujinon designation for B4 mount; a "BRM" suffix indicates a B4 lens without extender. On the AF101 you need a lens with an extender built-in or, in alternative, you can buy a stand alone B4 extender: Fujinon model is AE20B 1 or 2 (the latter has back focus adjustment incorporated). Canon model is called X2.0-G2

• Hi, after borrowing for a certain time the Eng lens of a friend ( I decided to buy one for myself ) i took a Fuji x12 1.7 10-120mm it is the BRM version so no extender and it seems i have a problem to close focus ( i can really get a sharp image form 120mm and far away ( its the missing extender that give me problem, ) so any advice on an extender I should buy ? ( M4/3 to M4/3 since i ll have the adaptator already from B4 to M4/3)

• What's the minimum focus distance of that lens? 1 m? You probably just need to adjust the lens's back focus. An extender doesn't change the minimum focus distance. Not having an extender is not what's causing your problem.

The only Micro Four Thirds teleconverter is the Olympus MC-14, which only works with a couple of Olympus lenses.

What camera are you using? If you use the GH2/3/4 in 1080 ETC mode, you don't need an extender. If you really want an extender, buying a different B4 lens with a built-in extender is the cheapest solution, but I don't recommend it because the image quality isn't great when you put a 3-CCD prism-type lens on a camera without a prism.

Here's a proper optical converter with very good image quality: http://www.abelcine.com/store/HDx2-B4-PL-Mark-II-Optical-Adapter/

• @balazer hi and thanks for your answer, the minimal focus distance actually is more like 8 to 10 meters

• @ rastatugan. I would check to make sure the macro adjustment - probably the ring closest to the B4 mount is not causing the issue. This ring can effect the near or far focus. If you don't want to get a proper optical adapter to compensate for the lack of a prism with a single chip camera, I would find one with a 2x extender and shoot with it engaged and then stop the lens down to down f2.8 or higher. This will help with shooting at the wide end of the lens making it less cloudy and soft wide open at the wide end. If you shoot stopped down at the long end of the lens, these can be really nice if you find a good newer version of the lens.

• I would love some advice on this lens, and attaching it to my BMPCC or my Canon mount Metabones adapter!

IMG_20170822_152231_070.jpg
    1458 x 1458 - 809K
  • Hi,

I'm new here and ran across this thread concerning ENG lenses on a DSLR.

I'm in process of building a another rig and in researching the difference between the quality of the Canon J series and YJ series lenses I've learned something I'm not sure is clarified here.

I have both and was trying to determine which lens I wanted to use and spoke with Canon directly about the differences.

Both lenses have the exact same quality glass and the only difference is in the material used on the outer focus, zoom, and aperture rings where the teeth are.

The J series rings are machined out of billet aluminum and the YJ series rings are injection molded out of ABS polymer, similar to what most other modern day lenses use, including Canon's products.

Other than that there is no difference...just my 2 cents!

Jerry

• @Jerry_Hunt

Thanks for useful info.

• You bet Vitaliy...it's my understanding talking with Canon that this was done in an effort to reduce weight, not quality!

• Back in 1999, Canon was advertising pro grade YJ series saying that in terms of quality, differences between Pro and Broadcast is "barely discernible to viewing audience". One of the reason (if not the main) why broadcast lenses are more expensive is because they are aimed at the big tv networks with big budget. Another form of capitalism distortion...

• Fujinon ZA17x7.6 on GH5

Fujinon XA17x7.6 on GH5

• Nice looking footage!

I've got my B4/EF Canon 5D rig about 80% finished. I'm still waiting on my camera cage, which is on a slow boat from Korea. This will give me something to mount a handle on that will serve as the mounting base for my Zacuto Z Finder and microphone.

I'm currently using a 1.4 teleconverter in conjunction with a B4 to EF adapter that gives me a S35 image on the sensor, which is the same as the Canon C100 - C300 when using the same lens and adapter setup. I found though, by using a 2X teleconverter I can cover the whole 5D full frame sensor with no vignetting.

I designed and machined the camera sled's components myself. The front lens mount is machined out of 6061 T6 aluminum and mounts between the focus and zoom rings, using two small screws on the mid bottom of the lens.

With two 24" carbon fiber rods it's really light weight at 12.15 lbs, with a very low center of gravity centered mid shoulder, which makes it balanced and easy to maneuver without shaky footage at full zoom.

We've got a two day shoot coming up where we are going to put the camera with lens through it paces, and I'll attach the finished video here after post.

Aardvark Testing Day I 4-22-18.jpg
    4072 x 2428 - 958K
    Aardvark Testing Day II 4-22-18.jpg
    4888 x 2911 - 1M