Personal View site logo
RAW makes obsolete all your skill
  • 287 Replies sorted by
  • Serious question, who here shoots raw (footage not stills) on commercial video jobs? Working with 4K or log or a combination of both on paid projects is bad enough for me! True, it gives me some more options in terms of look and framing but the negatives often seem to outweigh the positives - So much extra storage, generating proxies, processor intensity, grading, luts etc etc
    I think working with raw would make me suicidal!! Seems like huge workload unless you have budget, colourist, whatever else is required. And the motion guys i work with all seem to prefer working in 1080-2K for rendering purposes (this is more a 4K debate/perspective here) When I fire up the old AF101 and cut some simple 1080p AVCHD my heart rate slows and I start to feel better :)

• @tubefingers

Storage is quite cheap now. And for small jobs no one ask you to keep raw.

You can try http://www.fastcinemadng.com/ for fast initial processing, no need for proxies. Work perfect on any 8GB Pascal GPU.

• Its true, prices are down on storage but when you have: 1 x backup, 1 x mirrored backup and 1 x current project containing the footage on another drive thats 3 x drives already, typically 1 per project (2-4 TB) for 4K, I guess thats doubled (?) for raw footage. I'm on MacPro so don't think the "Pascal" would be relevant. But question is - who shoots raw? is it narrative/feature or high end commercial work?

• The fact is if you want enough quality for large prints, without compression blocks, you need RAW. Same applies multiple times over for video and the large screen.