Personal View site logo
Why big guys are using arri alexa and upscaling to 4k instead of using native 4k camera?
  • Today I went to cinema theater IMAX 4K to enjoy a big screen 65 x 34 feet.

The movie was shot with Arri Alexa with a 2k editing, so I perceived that the image was a little bit soft in the big 4k screen, mainly in wide scenes.

If IMAX cinema theater is native 4k projectors, why these big productions with lots of money are still using Arri Alexa with 2k editing and upscaling footage?

I think a 4k Lumix camera would look much better in IMAX.

https://gizmodo.com/5250780/how-regular-movies-become-imax-films

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4649466/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAX#DMR_.28Digital_Media_Remastering.29

• 27 Replies sorted by
  • Alexa mini and newer alexa are 3.2k not 2k

• Technical specifications in this movie says they edited in 2k digital intermediate.

• Alexa needs a new model, a new sensor, upgraded to native 4k.

And better computers for editing the complex visual effects in 4k.

Internet is winning over cinema!!!

We Lumix fanboys are now more powerful than hollywood.

• A good talking guy convincing pro people how to get best results from an obsolet camera to do "almost" 4k.

A big, heavy weighted camera, with very large files, complex workflow, loosing for a lumix low budget guy.

OH! your easy little camera looks better in cinema than my expensive big complex Alexa.

• There's a lot more to an image than resolution.

• We Lumix fanboys are now more powerful than hollywood.

LOL

• Alexa has the image nailed , I talked about this with VK a few months back, even 10 years after this sensor has been released , it still has most peoples attention ...I think the alexa 65 is 6k?

• If they edited in 2k, in the end its not the camera's fault, its the people who are using it//They could have use higher resolution 3.2k (much closer to 4k)

• Unless it's some high-density visual work, resolution is overrated, IMHO. Like @sammy said, Arri nailed the image, and also the workflow, outfitting, form-factor, etc.

• Sensor pixel count and system resolution are not the same thing. Anyone who really thinks that their lumix necessarily out-resolves an Alexa because it is 4K is making a marketing person laugh his or her self silly...

• According to your source Kingsman 2 shot 2.39 anamorphic on the Alexa XT, so when desqueezing the footage the horizontal resolution would actually exceed 4k.
    4K deliverables still aren't very common for film releases or television, it's still mostly used as an acquisition format. Most DP's still prefer to shoot Arri over Red or Sony due to better dynamic range, color science, ergonomics, and workflows.

• @ump

Smartphone can easy have higher resolution measurement than Alexa. Seriously.

• @VK They can easily have higher sensor pixel counts. This is not the same thing. A resolution is a measurement made of a total system that is specific to light conditions and the contrast level of the test target.

• Real reason: they couldn't figure out the time limit hack on the G7.

• @ump

A resolution is a measurement made of a total system that is specific to light conditions and the contrast level of the test target.

Resolution measurement (lenses or sensors) is not mumbo jumbo. If you check my words they are 100% spot on, as it is possible to make such measurement.

If you want to say that in lower light with high gain MTF of small sensor will start to deteriorate faster, yes.

• For me, as a lumix fanboy, the G7 4k outperforms all the Netflix Alexa 1080p films, in resolution, colors, contrast and dynamic range. Just use shadow+2, highlight-2, 16-255range and lower the highlights from 110ire to 100 ire in post, calibrate the pedestal, gamma and do color correction, also neatvideo conservative denoise.

• @apefos

G7 4k outperforms all the Netflix Alexa 1080p films, in resolution, colors, contrast and dynamic range

You for sure made measurements? :-) Considering colors and dynamic range I can assure you are wrong. Have no idea that contrast means here (as it is not determinate solely by camera sensor and processing).

• fanboy measurements are not scientific, it is more related to the pocket and wallet, sometimes the heart.

the feelings after seeing a 4k lumix image have same chemical reactions in body similar to infatuation.

or just... add fuel to the fire...

Now talking seriously: If camera operating, light and image post-production is proper done, 4k lumix cameras are capable to do a feature film to project in a cinema theater, or stream in netflix.

I remember the zacuto camera shotout when a director chose gh2 as best camera in a hidden test.

• Now talking seriously: If camera operating, light and image post-production is proper done, 4k lumix cameras are capable to do a feature film to project in a cinema theater, or stream in netflix.

Talking seriously, on set camera cost is really small relative to other expenses. Even for small films. People who work on such set know Alexa perfectly in all aspects and is able to pull max from it.

Where it does matter like stunt cameras and such, GH and other smaller cameras are used.

• Digital cinema camera can be 2000 usd each rent day.

Lumix camera is 600 usd to buy.

Micro budget films can do proper things with Lumix.

Personal-View community is not Hollywood, we are Lumix.

• But your asking why Hollywood uses the Alexa still not personalview lol

• yes, sorry for the fanboy behavior.

• Trust me ,I just plugged the trigger on an alexa mini with 2 other people ,we would have loved to have saved a few grand by choosing - more resolution based camera system like a blackmagic,red or a Sony Alta camera ,but in reality Pro competition are using the alexa for a reason and that's quality of final image (and as vk said the alexa is a tool that can be even greater tool with right hands) .

• Maybe this reason is that Alexa is the camera which looks more like film.