Personal View site logo
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • @manstok

I know this is kind of a 'first world problem'. Yet I also don't want to create yet more 'e-waste' by getting lots of lenses that will be useless in very near future.

Everyone knows that getting great glass is the best way to improve any camera system.

• @alcomposer

You are strange.

I am not worried about Samsung NX future :-) The best thing is that prices mostly keep rising :-)

• 'the future of the m43 mount' thats what i am worried about too.

• @joe1946 I really want to get into the Voigtlander m43 lenses (and m43 lenses in general). I'm just so worried about the future of the m43 mount, and system as a whole.

All 4 Voigtlander's are amazing glass for m43, just wish there was true 'apex' product for m43 (like the old af100).

Lately I have purchased my two first serious m43 glass:

• 15mm Panasonic Leica f1.7
    • 12-60mm Panasonic Leica f2.8-4

Thinking about 7.5mm Laowa & Voigtlanders.

• Thanks, on Lenstip lens reviews the three sharpest native MFT glass tested is the 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton, Leica DG Nocticron 42.5 mm f/1.2 and the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 75 mm f/1.8 ED. I have all three and love that sharpness.

"The resolution test of the Leica DG Nocticron 42.5 mm f/1.2 Asph. P.O.I.S. was based on RAW files from the Olympus E-PL1. In the case of that body the highest results, reached by the best fixed focus lenses, amount to about 80 lpmm (and the record value of 82.6 lpmm belongs to the Voigtlander 0.95/25, with the Olympus 1.8/75 not far behind).The decency level is set near 44-45 lpmm." http://www.lenstip.com/394.4-Lens_review-Panasonic_Leica_DG_Nocticron_42.5_mm_f_1.2_Asph._P.O.I.S._Image_resolution.html

Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 8.56.45 PM.png
    696 x 131 - 46K
  • Nice tests @joe1946! I have been looking into native MFT glass for first time in my life with the GH5. What other native glass do you have? The 42.5mm f1.2 is quite high end, and lovely!

One great thing about native glass is the high resolution that is possible. (Something that many other "cinematic" lenses lack, or intentionally market as "pleasing skin texture")

• Now that it's officially summer, (and new firmware landing anytime soon- or best scenario by August) any thoughts on good UHSii cards?

I'm thinking of these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fast-128GB-1900x-Speed-SDXC-285MB-s-UHS-II-U3-Delkin-Memory-Card-100MB-s-Write-/132199187213?hash=item1ec7af830d:g:lP4AAOSwDmBY5BJ5

• @alcomposer

Most interesting price deprecation happened with NX1 and NX500 from Samsung. :-) It just shows how stupid management was.

• I would love to see a graph of price vs other GH cameras and other systems. (Price depreciation)

• My first tests with the V-log L:

• @Vesku Yes, i tried different kind of shootings. The 4K/6K version indeed did not make problems. But I also wanted RAW files and I wanted to try different settings.

Also, 4K/6K has the video Autofocus and burst has photo Autofocus, which is much faster and for flying birds, fast AF is crucial.

And for I will be in South-Africa in summer, I wanted to test different settings and see the limitations and find workarounds. But thanks for the input.

• @AKED

Have you tried 6k photo for this kind of shooting? It records full sensor width 10bit HEVC 30 fps and the quality should be very good with no buffer issues.

• I have a question: I am using a 128 GB Sandisc Class 10 U3 R95 - W 60 MB/s and a 128 GB Transcend Class 10 U3 R90 MB/s card. Both have never failed neither in the GH4 nor the GH5.

Now the initial question was:

When I was taking pictures of birds in flight recently, https://flickr.com/photos/150332016@N06/sets/72157681824825243 I ran into problem with the buffering when taking burst shots with jpeg and raw. There were new birds coming but the buffer was full and the GH5 busy wigh writing to the SD card, before I could take pictures again) The camera was set, so that it filled one card and then use the other once the first is full. Now my question is: How do I distribute the files best, so that the buffer is not filled too fast? Jpeg in one and raw in the other? Also, if I use a UHSII card in one slot, would I then send jpeg and raw to the same slot? I think I am not into the future 400 mbit of a future firmware upgrad, so for video, my current 4 cards with 128 GB and 95 mbits are fast enough, so if a faster UHSII card writes pictures faster on the card, this would allow to empty the buffer faster and to shoot (burst pictures) longer. So how should the files be distributed for fastest writing on the card? Thanks.

Then I made a frw tests: When using H or M in burst mode, the GH5 takes about 70 pictures (jpeg and Raw) in about 10 seconds and then needs 50-55 seconds to empty the buffer. No matter if jpeg and raw is written on one or separated the writing process on two cards, no matter if H or M mode. It is the same.

In L mode it takes about 2 Minutes until the buffer is full and over 200 pictures are taken in that time. Again, it needs 50-55 seconds to clear the buffer.

I think I need a UHS II V60 or V90 card, to empty the buffer faster, right? Or any other possibility?

• Amazing! No discussion of shutter speed or angle, which make a HUGE difference to smooth panning. A GH5 flaw? Total B.S. I'm so sick of pretend technical videos.

• @inqb8tr

It does not lose frames.

• As card is full it stops recording on it closing file and restarts on another card

So it loses some frames in the process or buffers somehow?

• Thats what I thought. But I haven't used the GH5 for long recording until tonight. It was a pleasant surprise. I haven't seen that aspect discussed. Maybe another GH5 secret? Vitaliy_Kiselev you must have super powers when it comes to manuals and specs!

• I don't get it. You mean it splits the video when it writes to the next card? Or that in multi-card mode it splits video's into 4gb chunks?

First thing. As card is full it stops recording on it closing file and restarts on another card.