Personal View site logo
What are you guys using for audio recording with your DSLR?
  • 155 Replies sorted by
  • Limiters: Analogue vs Digital

• Hi P.V. community! I'm trying to make short films on a budget. This is my audio gear at the moment:

Senn MKE 600 Rode deadcat + boom pole Marantz PMD 661(v1) Van damme cables with neutrik xlr conector.

However i get much better audio than in camera mics, i found it not enought loud and little hiss (noise in background)

Whats the next step for boost my levels without boost the noise?

Sound devices Mix pre D or MM1maybe? Cloudlifter or fethead ? Denecke ps1?

Need some advise, becase i'm an audio-noob. Thanks in advance!

• @Grimor

Why not just settle for now on good noise reduction software?

• @Grimor

Hi Grimor, record your audio at 24bit/48Khz and add gain in post. As long as your gear has a low noise floor you should be fine in post. The Tascam DR70 is exceptionally good value - I can add 20db of gain in post without having to worry about hiss due to its excellent SNR yet the unit sells for about a third the price of the MixPre D (I own the MixPre and hardly use it now) and includes a recorder that features Dual Recording mode (safety copy at lower level); I cannot overemphasize the value of this feature. Also, keep in mind that placing your microphone as close to the source of dialogue as possible (i.e. use a shotgun mic on a boompole instead of a camera mounted microphone) will massively help reduce overall noise. Lastly, do not waste a second worrying about the brand of your cables or connectors, this has zero practical impact on your sound. Feel free to PM me a link to one of your audio files if you need additional feedback (no pun intended :)

Cheers

• Thanks you guys!