Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
What are you guys using for audio recording with your DSLR?
  • 155 Replies sorted by
  • Limiters: Analogue vs Digital

• Hi P.V. community! I'm trying to make short films on a budget. This is my audio gear at the moment:

Senn MKE 600 Rode deadcat + boom pole Marantz PMD 661(v1) Van damme cables with neutrik xlr conector.

However i get much better audio than in camera mics, i found it not enought loud and little hiss (noise in background)

Whats the next step for boost my levels without boost the noise?

Sound devices Mix pre D or MM1maybe? Cloudlifter or fethead ? Denecke ps1?

Need some advise, becase i'm an audio-noob. Thanks in advance!

• @Grimor

Why not just settle for now on good noise reduction software?

• @Grimor

Hi Grimor, record your audio at 24bit/48Khz and add gain in post. As long as your gear has a low noise floor you should be fine in post. The Tascam DR70 is exceptionally good value - I can add 20db of gain in post without having to worry about hiss due to its excellent SNR yet the unit sells for about a third the price of the MixPre D (I own the MixPre and hardly use it now) and includes a recorder that features Dual Recording mode (safety copy at lower level); I cannot overemphasize the value of this feature. Also, keep in mind that placing your microphone as close to the source of dialogue as possible (i.e. use a shotgun mic on a boompole instead of a camera mounted microphone) will massively help reduce overall noise. Lastly, do not waste a second worrying about the brand of your cables or connectors, this has zero practical impact on your sound. Feel free to PM me a link to one of your audio files if you need additional feedback (no pun intended :)

Cheers

• Thanks you guys!