Personal View site logo
Panasonic G80 / G85 / G8 4K 5-axis stab magnesium monster
  • 511 Replies sorted by
  • I agree the most important thing is to forget imperfections and keep filming.

Perfect pursuing is stressful, unless you have money to have various camera bodies, or a more expensive perfect camera.

Would you avoid to love a girl just due to her freckles? Of course not.

But we are in a thecnical comunity, so we talk about freckles here, hoping the manufactures are reading the forum.

• Better on G7, but not as good as a6300.

• And you didnt have it with the G7?

• @liork I film musical ensembles and it is a big problem. You see it in the architectural lines of the rooms and halls, you see it in fabric, you see musical strings look weird, edges of music stands look weird. I have actually had people write in and complain about it.

• @liork

Cool, as I said we await your new videos on running contest here http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/16128/personal-view-2016-laing-video-contest

I am sure 99.5% of viewers will not notice any problem, but from reading here you can come to a conclusion that this camera is totally useless... get realistic man.

Do not underestimate people around. They are not stupid. And problem is present and actual.

• You can see some of my videos in this channel:

I don't pretend to be Steven Spielberg, but sometimes people forget that they are dealing with a sub 900$ camera and expect a Sony F65 results in this price. So Panasonic dropped the AA filter in order to benefit sharpness in stills, this is a hybrid camera, remember?

I am sure 99.5% of viewers will not notice any problem, but from reading here you can come to a conclusion that this camera is totally useless... get realistic man.

• Imagination here goes very high: "Panasonic put moiré in the G85 in order to raise GH5 sales"...

Well, they removed AA filter, but could keep it.
    We have no idea that was under this decision. So, @apefos can be even closer to truth then you are.
    One thing that I know for certain is that department had multiple managers meetings dedicated only for rising profits for each m43 body.

I would rather put my imagination in filming.

Good idea, we are waiting for your contest entries. I am sure you'll win with such determination.

• Imagination here goes very high: "Panasonic put moiré in the G85 in order to raise GH5 sales"... I would rather put my imagination in filming.

• @liork

People make up big problems from nothing. This "moiré problem" is nothing in realty. Go out and start shooting instead of looking at computer screen looking for things to cry about.

It is technical place. If problem is present it is identified and named.

But we will be all glad if you post today or tomorrow your surely amazing videos in separate topic.

• People make up big problems from nothing. This "moiré problem" is nothing in realty. Go out and start shooting instead of looking at computer screen looking for things to cry about.

• Moiree is also present in the GX85, the G7 remains the best choice if you are filming problematic material. There's also some stair-stepping...
    You don't just see these problems in bird feathers, you see them in all kinds of architectural shots and certain types of fabrics, strings on musical instruments, wire mesh and grates, and so on.
    The new cameras are a bit sharper, but it is worth noting that you can add some sharpness in post, but you cannot remove moiree or stair-stepping.

• Panasonic release G8 before GH5 with moiré and without 4k60p, so who needs dual i.s. for a lower price buy the G8, and people who can pay more will buy the GH5 (hope the AA filter will not be removed in GH5)... marketing behavior.

As far as I know GH5 also will be without AA filter. It can also have severe crop in 50/60fps modes.

• Dpreview did a comparison between G7 and G8, showing resolution difference in 4k video. The resolution improvement in G8 is not significant compared to G7. So the moiré problem in G8 probably was deliberate made to force video people to buy the GH5.

Panasonic release G8 before GH5 with moiré and without 4k60p, so who needs dual i.s. for a lower price buy the G8, and people who can pay more will buy the GH5 (hope the AA filter will not be removed in GH5)... marketing behavior.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-g85-g80/4

• She just being told about Panasonic cameras naming in different countries

https://spark.adobe.com/page/6795toIZcN6na/

img3137.jpg
    800 x 462 - 42K
  • Moiré, welcome back!

Artifacts and moiré can be problematic from the Panasonic G85

While removing the OLPF means sharper images, it also means that G85 is more susceptible to moiré when shooting subjects with small, repeating patterns, such as feathers. Moiré is typically very difficult to remove in post-processing, so it is worth keeping in mind when shooting certain subjects. There are a few things you can do to avoid moiré, although it is not always feasible to do so. You can change the focal length or your distance from the subject, you can slightly adjust focus, shoot from a different angle or stop down your lens far enough that you get diffraction, which can soften the image enough to eliminate the artifact. If you're photographing a subject that you think will cause problems, be sure to view your subject at 100%.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-g85/panasonic-g85A.HTM

Z_1010675-MOIRE.JPG
    600 x 600 - 101K
  • As I understand it the exterior of the G85 is little changed from the G7, so there are probably G7 cages that would work with it.

• Does anybody know if there any cages available for the G85? My intention is to add a sound recorder/amp and perhaps a led light plus a small power bank USB battery. More than price, I am looking for quality. Thanks!

• Available on deals since today

G85 body (PAL, non EU) - 880$ including shipping, Black G85 14-140mm Kit (PAL, non EU) - 1,180$ including shipping, Black

Wow. Finally could get one.

• @4CardsMan I often use CineD with Leeming lut. Pulls a bit more of everything out of the sensor. Not good for every single scene but gives you more DR, for sure and the color and sharpness grade easily. The after-lut results I would describe as close to neutral, between Standard and Natural, but easy to adjust.

• Review

Fall of camera market

Symbol of Panasonic attention to user needs

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/newproduct/1031172.html

img3091.jpg
    800 x 592 - 83K
    img3092.jpg
    797 x 631 - 105K
  • @DrDave - how does CineD compare to Natural?

• @VortekShow don't expect miracles on DR--you will need to use CineD and a Lut to get into "decent" territory.

• Available on deals since today

G85 body (PAL, non EU) - 880$ including shipping, Black
    G85 14-140mm Kit (PAL, non EU) - 1,180$ including shipping, Black

Send me PM if you need one.

• What is the dynamic range of this camera for video in comparison to the Fuji X t2?