Personal View site logo
Panasonic G80 / G85 / G8 4K 5-axis stab magnesium monster
  • 511 Replies sorted by
  • What about using the G8 with a gimbal in combination with IBIS turned on? Would that help with the z-axis issues when walking you sometimes get with handheld gimbals?

• Would that help with the z-axis issues when walking you sometimes get with handheld gimbals?

What exact issues? Bumping from steps?

In this case you need to think if few millimeter movement of sensor can fix few centimeters bump (for untrained person).

• I have a question for those who purchased the G85 with the 12-60 f3.5-5.6 who might also have the 14-140 f3.5-5.6. Do you feel the 12-60 has an IQ advantage over the 14-140? I ask because even though there is a wide advantage and weather sealing without an IQ advantage I will probably sell the 12-60 to put money towards faster primes. If it had been at least f4 thru it's zoom range I would be more inclined to keep it. What do you think? I should add I have the Lumix 12-35 f 2.8 and the Olympus 9-18 already.

• @scot

I bought the kit, because as much as I love my 12-35, I feel the reach isn't quite enough. The 60mm reach is a really nice bit of extra zoom when you're walking around. Having the weather sealing is definitely a bonus too as I'm used to it with my 12-35. I would say the IQ is quite incredible actually! I have the MKI version of the 14-140 and it is quite soft through the range especially at the zoom, but having tried the MKII, I know it is quite sharp all the way through so it really depends what sort of range you're looking for.

• So, in other words, Panasonic have almost but not quite fixed the problem that the previous camera does not have.

• @drdave The issue has been completely fixed! I'm assuming you're referring to the video of the handheld 100-400mm at 400mm.

The GX85 shows the same as the g85 at that focal length for video when handheld. That's an insane expectation to be able to shoot handheld at that focal length!

• Does G85 users know that pressing some FN button 2 seconds you can assign a menu item directly. Or check what it is.

I must test if my GH4 works the same way. -edit NOPE.

• Really cool feature @vesku thanks for pointing that out!!

• @tylerknight I think you are right--I saw a couple more tests that looked as good at several focal lengths.

• anyone can confirm that works fine on it both the Metabones XL (0.64x) & T (0.71x) SpeedBoosters? Thanks in advance!

• What is the dynamic range of this camera for video in comparison to the Fuji X t2?

• Available on deals since today

G85 body (PAL, non EU) - 880$ including shipping, Black
    G85 14-140mm Kit (PAL, non EU) - 1,180$ including shipping, Black

Send me PM if you need one.

• @VortekShow don't expect miracles on DR--you will need to use CineD and a Lut to get into "decent" territory.

• @DrDave - how does CineD compare to Natural?

• Review

Fall of camera market

Symbol of Panasonic attention to user needs

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/newproduct/1031172.html

img3091.jpg
    800 x 592 - 83K
    img3092.jpg
    797 x 631 - 105K
  • @4CardsMan I often use CineD with Leeming lut. Pulls a bit more of everything out of the sensor. Not good for every single scene but gives you more DR, for sure and the color and sharpness grade easily. The after-lut results I would describe as close to neutral, between Standard and Natural, but easy to adjust.

• Available on deals since today

G85 body (PAL, non EU) - 880$ including shipping, Black G85 14-140mm Kit (PAL, non EU) - 1,180$ including shipping, Black

Wow. Finally could get one.

• Does anybody know if there any cages available for the G85? My intention is to add a sound recorder/amp and perhaps a led light plus a small power bank USB battery. More than price, I am looking for quality. Thanks!

• As I understand it the exterior of the G85 is little changed from the G7, so there are probably G7 cages that would work with it.

• Moiré, welcome back!

Artifacts and moiré can be problematic from the Panasonic G85

While removing the OLPF means sharper images, it also means that G85 is more susceptible to moiré when shooting subjects with small, repeating patterns, such as feathers. Moiré is typically very difficult to remove in post-processing, so it is worth keeping in mind when shooting certain subjects. There are a few things you can do to avoid moiré, although it is not always feasible to do so. You can change the focal length or your distance from the subject, you can slightly adjust focus, shoot from a different angle or stop down your lens far enough that you get diffraction, which can soften the image enough to eliminate the artifact. If you're photographing a subject that you think will cause problems, be sure to view your subject at 100%.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-g85/panasonic-g85A.HTM

Z_1010675-MOIRE.JPG
    600 x 600 - 101K
  • She just being told about Panasonic cameras naming in different countries

https://spark.adobe.com/page/6795toIZcN6na/

img3137.jpg
    800 x 462 - 42K
  • Dpreview did a comparison between G7 and G8, showing resolution difference in 4k video. The resolution improvement in G8 is not significant compared to G7. So the moiré problem in G8 probably was deliberate made to force video people to buy the GH5.

Panasonic release G8 before GH5 with moiré and without 4k60p, so who needs dual i.s. for a lower price buy the G8, and people who can pay more will buy the GH5 (hope the AA filter will not be removed in GH5)... marketing behavior.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-g85-g80/4

• Panasonic release G8 before GH5 with moiré and without 4k60p, so who needs dual i.s. for a lower price buy the G8, and people who can pay more will buy the GH5 (hope the AA filter will not be removed in GH5)... marketing behavior.

As far as I know GH5 also will be without AA filter. It can also have severe crop in 50/60fps modes.