Personal View site logo
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • $1,998 would probably be the launch price. Above $2k would put off too many consumers. I am hoping for $1,799.00 Body Only!

• $1800 is a pipe dream. $2000 is the absolute lowest it could be IMO and even that's a reach. I think we'll see $2500, with it settling around $2200 after six months, after other cams have come out and the initial excitement and hype has faded.

I think it's pretty clear that consumers aren't the target for the GH5, it's prosumers and pros. The few consumers with these types of money to spend don't care about bit depth and color sampling, they want headline features like OMGFULLFRAMMME and ISOTWOJILLION and ERMAGERDMEGAPICKLES.

• I almost get the impression that some people would actually like the GH5 to cost more than 2k... Why? Are they crazy? Or just want to feel a bit elitist again knowing not everyone could afford it? Hmmm... ;)

• I almost get the impression that some people would actually like the GH5 to cost more than 2k... Why? Are they crazy?

If we make survey here I am sure that price people want will be around $600-900

• Manufacturing costs as vitaliy said are almost the same. Even cheaper on some spects. Maybe new LSI is more potent and has better integrated decoder encoders but that silicon waffer will be same price and les nanometers. So even there they are having an extra revenue.

You must all understand price point on this camera will be high not.cos.i like.it.. cos.you all cheer up fo this model and get exited making 21 pages of rumors about.something that is not even here.

Panasonic reads this thread and knows the value you are putting on this product. And from what im readig is high. Expect high costs.

• Olympus E-M1 MkII has extended iso64. Some say that GH5 has the same sensor. I hope GH5 will have iso64 for video or at least iso100.

• @Vesku

Well, sensor just have some native ISO. All else it just either analog gain (for higher ISO) that does not add information, or just pure software thing.

• Just one unprofessional opinion. It seems to me that Olympus and Panasonic work in tight marketing coordination, trying not to hurt or to much decrease each other's profit chances. Precisely, I'm quite sure that Panasonic team already know and, in fact, has all (or in the highest degree) complete GH5 specs and construction, but they play their cooperative role, hold of announcing and delaying market production, allowing EM1 mk2 to be for some time main show-star and get so-so income. Listen carefully interviews with involved persons - all of them has an comic air, mysterious smiles of knowing very high interesting and hard-important things that can't tell to courious masses.

• @brudney Yeah, that's a symptom of some folks who think products that cost more are automatically better or more legit for "professional" use. Odd behavior for sure. Probably never owned a GH2.

• I hope the rumor turns up true: "Trusted sources confirmed the new Panasonic GH5 will have almost exactly the same price tag as the E-M1II. In Europe it will be within 1800 € and 2000 €." http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-gh5-price-is-the-same-one-as-the-e-m1ii/#disqus_thread

• @Eno I think it is, it's what makes the most sense. As mentioned before, to surpass the $2000 barrier would be complicated and pricing it similarly to the E-M1 seems natural, even more so if the speculation of shared tech between the two cameras is also true.

• No popup flash....?

• @theSUBVERSIVE, I hope you are right! 2000$ are a lot of money, but if the camera really delivers I'm considering it.

• @Manu4Vendetta

It is third same post here, one I removed already btw.

• Btw, if you ask me, now it is more like attention buzz, not serious rumor. As far as I know price is far from decided in Japan.

• Where are big GH5 margins are going?

Into smart cities

Management just in trance from this numbers, so all departments income now have two targets - autonomous electric cars and smart cities.

img2951.jpg
    589 x 561 - 41K
  • If the GH5 will have the same sensor than E-M1 mk2 the high iso performance is not better than GH4 or G85.

em1.jpg
    894 x 965 - 493K
  • @Vesku, They've used a beta ACR converter but even so, I see 2/3 stops improvements over GH4 after resolution normalization.

Em1 mk2 vs D7200 vs GH4.jpg
    1598 x 976 - 874K
  • GH5 will down sample the whole sensor for 4k video. It will make a difference compared to GH4 crop. The resolution will benefit too.

• I hope the GH5 will have a high resolution photo mode (50Mpixels) like Olympus. I wonder if Olympus have a patent for it?

Very important for me is that GH5 should show exposure info in all video modes.

• I hope the GH5 will have a high resolution photo mode (50Mpixels) like Olympus.

In this I am really not sure.

• I would think not. That is what the 6k thing is for, frame grabs on it.18mb I would guess will be tops.

And I have seen no real gain in ISO on the EM1 II worth talking about either.

• Probability is low.