Personal View site logo
Panasonic G80 / G85 / G8 4K 5-axis stab magnesium monster
  • 511 Replies sorted by
  • Confucious Say,

"5 Layer Gyro with Tzat Sauce in Pita , beats PITA 5-Axis Gyro with ZOT Source."

• @Skomer

Well, after being informed Andrea added it, yep.
    He must have separate post soon.

• 43Rumors updates their recent post about the G80/85 adding below a comment about this issue: http://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-g85-gets-the-gold-award-at-dpreview/ I think Panasonic needs to react fast.

• Maybe its the Gyro's fault.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Hopefully it's not going to be the case and they're going to fix it through firmware. If not, we've got a soft Samsung 2.0 chapter... What it's clear is that, with this unpredictable behaviour, it's a useless camera for handheld video, one of the commercial claims of the camera,,,,

• The 5 stop IBIS works fine in the GX80 so they either changed the design, got a faulty batch of some components or its a firmware issue. All of which are solvable. The first step is for Panasonic to acknowledge the problem and tell us what they are going to do about it.

Can be also that they changed the design and design is unsuitable for video, just badly designed stabilization part. Can be even issue with new LSI.

• The 5 stop IBIS works fine in the GX80 so they either changed the design, got a faulty batch of some components or its a firmware issue. All of which are solvable. The first step is for Panasonic to acknowledge the problem and tell us what they are going to do about it.

• @DrDave

They missed it totally and then revised the review so it looks like part of the review. No credit to the real researchers. Classy.

And they not alone. Lot of reviews are already up (as guys are competing for clicks) and as I know none of bog ones even mentioned this (in original form :-) ).

• And makes people waiting for the GH5 nervous... IBIS is one of the things I've been looking forward too for the upcoming GH5 - if it behaves the same way - its a no-no for me.
  • If they don't do an official statement saying this is going to be fixed in an imminent firmware update, they'll lose lots of money, because with this bad behaviour the G80/85 becomes much less attractive.

• Again bugs! Will Panasonic make a revision or do they simply will abandon G8 saying if you want better stabilisation, then buy our GH5?

• They missed it totally and then revised the review so it looks like part of the review. No credit to the real researchers. Classy.

• So, notice to new guys for now

Avoid getting G80 / G85 for now!
    Wait until it will be clear if it is serious hardware flaw or firmware issue.

• @Skomer

Unfortunately, while the G85’s image stabilization is excellent at stabilizing static shots, it seems to struggle differentiating shake from intentional movement. For instance, when panning hand-held with mechanical stabilization engaged, footage can appear jerky. This is especially noticeable when panning in a diagonal direction. We observed this issue when using both a Dual I.S. 2 capable lens (the 12-60 F3.5-5.6 kit) as well as a third-party lens (Olympus 17mm F1.8), but not when using E-stabilization.

You can see an example of this in the video above. And for more examples of this issue, Marcin Rucinski has a detailed video looking into it (skip to 3:00 mark). At this time, we’ve contacted Panasonic about the problem and we hope it’s something that can be rectified via future firmware.

Seems like added after initial publication.

Yep, it was updated only after being asked in comments, so actually reviewers fully and absolutely missed it.

It also still takes no place in final page and marks, but it should be major point.

• Well it seems like DPReview is awared of the G80/85's problem with IBIS for video (https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-g85-g80/4) - the final paragraph on the 'Real World Samples' comment refers to Marcin's GX85/G80 IBIS comparison. Seems like they've contacted Panasonic, so things are probably getting serious...

• Release firmware -> Let´s wait for the first fix.
    Would LOVE to see more options too (only vertical stabilisation for Gimbal use for example.
    Or as mentioned already a seperate "Movie mode" with less stabilisation -> To get no such "jumps").

• @jules

Yes, i tested with other lenses. Same behavior with all.

• When I returned it to the store, the rep and the manager also tested the display model as well as a new box. They were all exhibiting the same issue. Any variation or change in movement or speed caused a drag/rush/snap. Also, there are many others now sharing videos and stories on facebook, dpreview m4/3 , youtube and mu-43 with the same problem. I think this is not a bad run in production but either a bug or feature depending on how Panasonic wants to deal with it.

The reseller I returned the camera to agreed the footage was unusable and even called Panasonic and asked them if they were aware of this issue.

• @nortinhal have you tested with any other lenses? Eg non dual IS?

• 2 examples handheld, shot today, panning from A to B and back to A

in the first one, slower, we can see the stabilization resistance coming back, in the faster pan is perfect.

• @hanriverport if the "stickiness" is not replicable in other units, then it is likely that your unit is defect. Can you test with other unit? judging from the video, if indeed your unit is defect, it seems one of the axis stabilisation is not working properly

• Is it the electronic IS being turned on as well - that could be the issue?

So you have Lens OIS, IBIS and [E-Stablisation] turned on.

• @Grimor If we are to believe what is being reported someone in this thread reported the issue with a non stabilized lens so that analysis would be unlikely. Also if it was a firmware issue all the cameras would exhibit the same behavior and that per Jules is not the case. So this is pointing to a manufacturing issue if any. That being said it is really to soon to say as more people report there experience it should become clearer.

• Ok, we can say that old lenses without Dual IBIS 2, works fine just in the way that gx80 does. So probably its a bug with new stabilization (new lenses) in a specific kind of move.

• @jules that is good to hear. I would not assume that there is trolling. Buyers should be aware there maybe production issues and to test there camera to see if there camera has issues.