Personal View site logo
GH4 — Use iPhone as wireless monitor
  • 153 Replies sorted by
  • Update: Scopes 1.0 build 3

• Added support for iOS 9
    • Tested more devices; iPhone 5, iPhone 6S+, iPad Air, iPad Mini 4

Available now via Testflight beta.

If you want to beta test, click this link and fill out the form. You will then receive an email from Apple with instructions on how to install the app.

I've received questions about what it looks like on iPad. CLICK HERE for an uncompressed screenshot taken on an iPad Air. If you download and open the image on your iPad you will see what it looks like.

IMG_1224.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
    IMG_1225.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 959K
  • @suzres I think it might work already. I don't have a G80 or G85, so I can't test. You are welcome to test the app if you want to. DM your email and I will add you.

• Wonderful work ! Could this be extended to the G80 G85 midels in the future?

• I've received a question about why I need email.

Apple requires me to add your email to their Testflight software. Then Apple will send you instructions on how to install the app, and it will notify you when there is a new version to install. I am not using using your email for anything else than adding you to the Apple Testflight beta testing program.

Read more here: https://developer.apple.com/testflight/

• All beta testers

Scopes 1.0 build 1 has been released for testing. You should receive instructions on how to install via your email.

Known Issues

• There's no UI (the above video is from the next build)
    • Only supports iOS 10 (I have iOS 9 support working, and it'll come in the next build)
  • Progress update

Here's a short demo video of connecting the app to the camera.

• @mjas

If you have camera on gimbal you can have screen hidden, or it is on jib even.

• @GravitateMediaGroup There's already focus peaking in the GH4. Why add it again? :)

• @mjas Would it be possible to add focus peaking? Could maybe get the code from reverse engineer that new Mavis video editng app? I have no idea how any of that works. lol

• @Walkaboutcamera I will need to look into that at some point. At the very least it should be easy enough to add some simple image controls (contrast, saturation, brightness, etc ...).

Right now I'm working on getting the early beta (well... alpha) out to the people who've signed up to be beta testers. If you're interested, send me a PM with your email.

• looks good, is there enough hp there to add lut capability.

• @Panamedia Yes, the 640x360 is the max size coming from the camera over WiFi (as far as I know). But that image can be stretched. It's not going to look pretty, but can be useful for composition.

• Are you saying that the resolution is capped out at 640x360 though? Because it would be great if it was able to utilize the phones/iPads higher resolution screen.

• @mjas take in mind that we are shooting in 4:3 and 3:2 ratios for a 2x Anamorphic lens. So the calculation may be different. Many people from Eoshd forum will pay a few bucks for an app like yours.

• @Grimor @discomandavis @brilliant If you are interested in beta testing—direct message me your email.

@gabilourson I did it by examining code from the GH3 Web Controller, and then I translated it to iPhone. I will release an app on the App Store soon.

@AKED Yes, that's true, but you cannot see the image fullscreen. On iPad or iPhone 6+ maybe the size is OK, but on iPhone 5 or 6 the display is too small to be useful. Compare the images below.

GH4 to iPhone5.jpg
    2000 x 1496 - 969K
    hqdefault.jpg
    480 x 360 - 17K
  • There is the Lumix Image App that previews the GH4 as well as you can change almost all settings in the phone.

• Can you please explain here how you did that ?

• Another thumbs up! Please keep us posted!

• Would love to beta this when it's ready.

• Critical focus point can be done with viewfinder or lcd in camera, but for composition we need de-squeezed image.

• @davjd @Grimor

iPad yes, but the quality will not be great. The feed is compressed 640x480* ... and the iPad is giant in comparison. But maybe low quality is better than NO quality. ;)

• It's actually less ... it will fit the UHD, DCI 4K or anamorphic image into that resolution. So for UHD which is 16:9 aspect ratio it will be 640x360.
  • I request these feature to many android developers, and nobody seems to have interest in that thing. Ipad would be a great wireless field monitor