Personal View site logo
Freely refocusable camera, Lytro
  • 68 Replies sorted by
  • Very interesting indeed!

Something tells me that no one will remember Canon 1D X in 2020, but this camera will be still known.
    lytro_1.jpg
    800 x 571 - 150K
  • love that they've ditched everything from legacy camera systems. the amount of comments on dpreview from people writing off this new tech is ridiculous. as a first gen consumer version of what is revolutionary tech this is pretty amazing. imagine 10 years from now being able to video with this and pull focus in post as well as being able to do single lens 3d.
  • It also makes huge impact on this "megapixel race" haters.
    Because it requires big reserve and future such cameras will have sensor resolution in 100-300Mp range.
  • IT is very exciting that this tech is hitting the streets! I have little doubt that there will eventually be high-quality pro cameras with this tech down the road, but the sensor tech will first have to work out kinks and build up good DR, color, global shutter, etc. (just like CMOS is having to do) before it becomes a truly great tool. But this is the first step towards all this, so very exciting and cool!
  • so here's a question for the scientifically knowledgeable . . . the light feild sensor is able to distinguish direction of the incoming rays, correct? would this allow also (potentially) for adjustment of DOF in post via the inclusion or exclusion of rays from certain sources hitting at certain angles? could this be used to do complex virtual aperture "shaping" (as in, perhaps . . . oval "anamorphic" bokeh, or fancy stars/moons/whatever)? Could this data be used to digitally model and computer generate effects such as lens flare?
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev Need CatchIt deal...plus hack. :-)
  • I just realized . . . this thing is street photographer's dream! a camera that is re-focusable in post, is very portable, and on top of everything, doesn't really look anything like a camera :-)
  • @B3Guy

Yep.
    Even 1024x768 is perfect for most newspapers.
    No delay, no need to focus.

But company behave really strange.
    Absolutely no data on actual resolution.
    No soft for Windows, no ability to share photos outside their site.
  • Where's hot shoe?
  • Someday all camera's will have this technology as well as the beam split HDR sensor technology from AMP, 200K+ sensors, and lenses with focal reducers. As much as I like all the cool technology coming out I can't help but wonder if most of the on set art will just disappear. I mean someday they'll be making movies by just putting up 5-10 stationary 200k cameras with unbelievable dynamic range to cover the scene. In post they'll pick the angle, crop, zoom, move, focus, and get the exposure. They'll probably even replace the crew with robots. I'm not sure if I like that future. Movies will suck.

But enough negativity. This thing is pretty cool and I will more than likely get one :)
  • I think focus, aperture and exposure stuff will in fact disappear someday, but framing, angle, focal length, lighting, etc. are going nowhere.
  • "Something tells me that no one will remember Canon 1D X in 2020, but this camera will be still known."

LOL You're probably right!
  • This should be implemented in security cameras,
  • Looks like Red is heading in this direction....

"One thing I will say is that we are working on multiple focus and depth map (think Lytros) but with wicked high resolution... The prototype is incredible. Don't tell Gizmodo or Engadget. :-)

Jim"

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?65086-I-want-to-tell-you...&p=845014#post845014
  • >Looks like Red is heading in this direction....

In this case we must start waiting for their solution.
    But remember to get coffin and make all preparations, because, most probably, you won't live long enough to see it.
  • Hrhr :)
    Might be the case that people wont remember lytros nor 1DX in 2020, but the new multifocus red.. cause it just came out ;)
  • @Meierhans I just heard from Jim Jannard---it's been pushed to 2040 and the price was doubled...
  • Lytro inside (from FCC report)

lytro.jpg
    767 x 571 - 74K
    lytro1.jpg
    765 x 572 - 93K
    lytro2.jpg
    765 x 572 - 64K
    lytro3.jpg
    764 x 567 - 72K
    lytro4.jpg
    763 x 572 - 104K
    lytro5.jpg
    765 x 572 - 98K
    lytro6.jpg
    762 x 573 - 123K
    lytro7.jpg
    766 x 571 - 71K
    lytro8.jpg
    765 x 571 - 99K
    lytro9.jpg
    766 x 567 - 104K
    lytro10.jpg
    762 x 572 - 105K
    lytro11.jpg
    762 x 573 - 87K
    lytro12.jpg
    761 x 571 - 103K
    lytro13.jpg
    762 x 566 - 79K
    lytro14.jpg
    765 x 571 - 72K
    lytro15.jpg
    764 x 571 - 106K
    lytro16.jpg
    765 x 574 - 96K
    lytro17.jpg
    765 x 573 - 105K
  • Btw this guys still keep talking and talking and not presenting actual product to masses. Months after months. Looking at photos above we can see pretty standard cheap compact base. Nothing fancy.

• I thought they got aliens technology!!!

• The image sensor board (in image: Lytro4-5) looks very Elphel... ;-)

• There are plenty of papers on the internet which describe the concept and fwiw, the "original" was implemented using a modded Canon DLSR. The basic idea is you capture a light field which is in essence an array of images constructed using a coded pinhole/aperture array and from that you can reconstruct a final image using some algorithm. Stanford University have an uber camera array which basically accomplishes the same thing. Its pretty interesting stuff. It also allows you to "see through" objects ;) Search for computational photography and you'll get a load of results.

• The lytro sellings has started..