Personal View site logo
Capitalism: Intel and Apple insist on removing 3.5mm audio connector
  • 38 Replies sorted by
  • The LG V20 is actually advertising its advanced DAC, so some people aren't crazy.

• We can have both, but in practical terms no companies will develop USB-C or lightning audio solutions if there is a simpler solution. As Samsung will also be cutting 3.5mm (rumour) all companies will have to develop solution, and as it's the new standard it should get cheaper eventually. Personally I was never a fan of inbuilt DAC's in smart phones- always the cheapest DAC's they could find. Now if they spent 20c more and put in a good one I would have been very sad! :-)

• USB-C audio could make 360VR audio very easy to implement:

You can still have both 3.5mm and even 3 USB-C ports. :-)

• One positive aspect: USB-C audio could make 360VR audio very easy to implement: https://www.ossic.com

• There was a similar backlash with Apple's Lightning Connector, (being a more expensive cable etc). However having many older devices using older Mini USB or iPhone Connectors, Lightning or USB C is much better.

I'm sure removal of both USB C and Lightning on smart phones will equally go down well! :-)

• Bad news for us.

• So, Apple did it.

Samsung want to follow.

• And then they can make a bunch of extra sales when I forget the adapter when traveling and have to buy another at the airport. >:/

• @firstbase

Of course, it is usual capitalism way. First rip you by making unnecessary savings and after this rip you second time using "digital" headphones and "premium digital" adapters.

And making jobs for the sake of making jobs.. Well..

• Well, maybe some other entity will create a cheap adapter and create a few jobs along the way.

• @Eno

One good thing to note - if leading chip manufacturers will be making LSI without any build in DAC and interface to one such transition can happen even with big resistance.

• Please excuse my language but fk both Intel and Apple, I'll definitely not abandoning the good and versatile 3,5mm jack!

Others will see the opportunity and still support it in their products...I will use those products!

• On IDF Intel continue to push the idea

As I told - it is pure economical thing, not required by any consumer.

Some people looking at Intel suggestions think that it will be also special encrypted protocol and hardware level DRM with music recognition and online matching with your account to present you playing anything that is not purchased via online shop.

img1157.jpg
    749 x 407 - 53K