Personal View site logo
Capitalism: Intel and Apple insist on removing 3.5mm audio connector

Intel proposes to use USB-C single connector for headphones. This way companies can save from $2 to $5 that will go directly to their profits. Plus company clearly plans to get big profits selling special chips, as USB is very complex thing, so every company will buy interface chip with ADC/DAC, amps and USB stack.

All new Apple phones will work only with authorized digital headphones.

• 38 Replies sorted by
  • On IDF Intel continue to push the idea

As I told - it is pure economical thing, not required by any consumer.

Some people looking at Intel suggestions think that it will be also special encrypted protocol and hardware level DRM with music recognition and online matching with your account to present you playing anything that is not purchased via online shop.

img1157.jpg
    749 x 407 - 53K
  • Please excuse my language but fk both Intel and Apple, I'll definitely not abandoning the good and versatile 3,5mm jack!

Others will see the opportunity and still support it in their products...I will use those products!

• @Eno

One good thing to note - if leading chip manufacturers will be making LSI without any build in DAC and interface to one such transition can happen even with big resistance.

• Well, maybe some other entity will create a cheap adapter and create a few jobs along the way.

• @firstbase

Of course, it is usual capitalism way. First rip you by making unnecessary savings and after this rip you second time using "digital" headphones and "premium digital" adapters.

And making jobs for the sake of making jobs.. Well..

• And then they can make a bunch of extra sales when I forget the adapter when traveling and have to buy another at the airport. >:/

• So, Apple did it.

Samsung want to follow.

• Bad news for us.

• There was a similar backlash with Apple's Lightning Connector, (being a more expensive cable etc). However having many older devices using older Mini USB or iPhone Connectors, Lightning or USB C is much better.

I'm sure removal of both USB C and Lightning on smart phones will equally go down well! :-)

• One positive aspect: USB-C audio could make 360VR audio very easy to implement: https://www.ossic.com

• USB-C audio could make 360VR audio very easy to implement:

You can still have both 3.5mm and even 3 USB-C ports. :-)

• We can have both, but in practical terms no companies will develop USB-C or lightning audio solutions if there is a simpler solution. As Samsung will also be cutting 3.5mm (rumour) all companies will have to develop solution, and as it's the new standard it should get cheaper eventually. Personally I was never a fan of inbuilt DAC's in smart phones- always the cheapest DAC's they could find. Now if they spent 20c more and put in a good one I would have been very sad! :-)

• The LG V20 is actually advertising its advanced DAC, so some people aren't crazy.

• Can't really fault them for this - it'll allow them to make phones thinner and generate lots of sales for new compatible gear.

• The jack is quite an outdated tech surely. First VHS video player I got in the 80's had a friken jack and cable for the remote control!!

Wireless earphones seemed like a tech that was getting popular anyway. People in a few years will laugh at wired headphones just like they would laugh at my wired remote control. The discussion of did Apple do it for economic rather than tech reasons we will never know but it will be standard in no time.

The argument against it has come from music purists but if you want great sound you don't use your phone on the subway anyway.

• The jack is quite an outdated tech surely. First VHS video player I got in the 80's had a friken jack and cable for the remote control!!

In this case I propose to also ban RCA connectors and after a month all AC outlets.

Wireless future, my ass.

Wireless headphones are one of the most horrible things I saw. You can't beat physics and make battery small, long lasting and have good sound and bass response.

• Nikola Tesla was doing wireless electricity transmission over 100 years ago, but I suppose its hard to charge people for wireless power. :-)

• LOL. You mean that you heard something.

It is always good idea to go and open some good physics book and read about all this. Even very popular articles on actual wireless charging standards will help.

• Even aside from any discussions of quality, etc, wireless headphones have a long way to go in terms of security and ease of use.

Right now, I can take my 3.5mm headphones and plug them into any of my devices. They work instantly with no headaches. When I want to use them with a different device, I unplug them and move them to a different one. The experience with bluetooth isn't even nearly as pleasant and it assumes that all of my devices speak it (I haven't checked, but I'm guessing that most of my cameras don't support bluetooth headphone pairing, for instance)... and as others have pointed out, my 3.5mm wired headphones are always ready to go / don't need to be charged.

• The experience with bluetooth isn't even nearly as pleasant and it assumes that all of my devices speak it

Bluetooth has many versions. Audio profile in it is complex and offers multiple formats. Some products will work only with specific protocol and specific format. Most of devices use recompression during transfer. many devices will fail completely in crowded space where you have lot of 2.4Ghz devices around.

Main goal of Bluetooth design was to use as much as possible of patent portfolio companies who made it, and also to add new parts to this portfolio. Same is mostly true for Wi-Fi.

• When all the phones are inside our brains, it really won't matter, will it?

• When all the phones are inside our brains, it really won't matter, will it?

You mean bright future where they will connect directly to brains?

Sad thing is that every guy has individual neural network and characteristic of ears. Even more sad is that scientists still do not understand even how neurons actually work (except some specific things happening).

• Soon we will see an Apple black DAC at $500.

• Soon we will see an Apple black DAC at $500.

For sure. After disassembling you could find $50 Chinese rebranded DAC with design by John Ive account for else in the cost.

• Meanwhile HTC 10 has 24bit Headphone Jack...

Screen shot 2016-09-19 at 6.37.21 PM.png
    1128 x 568 - 850K