Personal View site logo
Canon - cry from the dying beast
  • 62 Replies sorted by
  • Bad news

The EU Commission said it had reached a preliminary view that Canon breached rules by using a so-called "warehousing" two-step transaction structure involving an interim buyer to buy the company prior to obtaining relevant approvals.

Ten percent of Canon's annual revenue would be roughly equivalent to $2.9 billion.

The $6 billion deal, completed late last year, raised eyebrows at the time due to the unorthodox method which allowed Toshiba, which was struggling for cash after an accounting scandal, to book proceeds in time for the financial year-end in March.

Rival bidder Fujifilm Holdings Corp had criticized it as a "mockery of the law".

Huh

• Canon is really desperate this time.

T-Shirt looks like cemetery

sample1062.jpg
    720 x 792 - 55K
    sample1063.jpg
    773 x 725 - 58K
  • Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, announced today that its parent company, Canon Inc., announced that the Company’s interchangeable-lens digital cameras have maintained the No. 1 share of the global market for 14 consecutive years from 2003 to 20161.

Canon Inc., which develops the key components featured in its interchangeable-lens cameras—CMOS image sensors, image processors and interchangeable lenses — employs these cutting-edge technologies across its entire product lineup, from entry-level models that achieve high-image quality with easy operation to professional-use flagship cameras, effectively responding to the needs of a wide range of users.

In 2003, the dawn of digital SLR cameras, Canon introduced its breakthrough EOS Digital Rebel. This groundbreaking camera, which was competitively priced and featured a compact, lightweight design, captured the top share of the global market and set the stage for growth in the digital SLR market. Since that time, Canon has continued to launch a range of epoch-making products, including the professional-model EOS-1D series and the EOS 5D series which paved the way for digital SLR video recording.

During 2016, Canon introduced an impressive lineup of interchangeable-lens camera products that supported the Company’s achievement of a 14th consecutive year at the top of the global market. In March, the Company released the EOS 80D for advanced-amateur users, which features excellent still image quality and superb operability when shooting video. Then in April, the Company released its flagship model, the EOS-1D X Mark II, ideal for sport photography thanks to its 14 frame-per-second continuous shooting capability. The EOS 5D Mark IV, capable of 4K video, was then released in September. Additionally, the Company’s interchangeable-lens camera lineup expanded with the introduction of the high-end EOS M5 compact-system camera in November.

Canon will continue to respond to the needs of its wide range of customers by further bolstering its lineup in 2017. Already this year, the Company launched three new interchangeable-lens cameras equipped with the highly accurate autofocus technology, Dual Pixel CMOS AF – the EOS M6 compact-system camera, the EOS 77D and EOS Rebel T7i.

• New Rambus is born:

Canon Inc. again ranked first among Japanese companies and third overall for the number of U.S. patents awarded in 2016, according to the latest ranking of preliminary patent results issued by IFI CLAIMS Patent Services.

sample264.jpg
    552 x 436 - 46K
  • On 250MP Sensor

• 120Mp sensor specs finally

img2812.jpg
    800 x 473 - 81K
    img2813.jpg
    800 x 664 - 110K
  • @MikeLinn Steampunk inspired? Looks like it takes 4 x 4k out of the sensor. (Via 4 SDI cables).

• Same strange camera:

img2328.jpg
    585 x 762 - 56K
  • Canon 120Mpix camera at Photokina

img2287.jpg
    800 x 617 - 46K
  • As much as Atomos wants to sell their fancy monitors, HDR still has a ways to go.

This part I agree. But he could not say anything else.

• As much as Atomos wants to sell their fancy monitors, HDR still has a ways to go.

• New optimistic PR

MELVILLE, N.Y., August 29, 2016 - Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, announced today that from August 6 to August 20, nearly 70 percent* of professional photographers on assignment in Brazil were Canon shooters. In addition, Canon brought a team of more than 70 highly trained technicians and support staff to Brazil this month to help maximize the uptime and performance of its professional broadcast and EOS imaging equipment users. Canon HDTV field lenses were ready on the evening of August 5 bringing viewers worldwide approximately 80 percent and nationwide 100 percent of the images they saw on TV.

"It is humbling to know that such a large number of the world's most talented sports photographers relied on Canon equipment to capture this historic sporting event. Their iconic images from so many different events have been and will be seen by millions of people around the world for years to come. To support the needs of our customers and help them accomplish their goals, Canon Professional Services is always set up and ready at major sporting events throughout the year to assist by providing comprehensive equipment maintenance and repairs, extensive equipment loans and expert technical support," said Yuichi Ishizuka, president and COO, Canon U.S.A., Inc.

During the events, a photographer that had equipment stolen was quickly assisted by CPS staff so he could get back on assignment. According to Brett Costello, News Corp. Australia photographer, "The CPS team in Brazil was amazing. I was very upset at having my gear stolen on August 4 at a café and thought my ability to cover the coming events were over. When I told the Canon staff there what had happened to me, they didn't hesitate in helping with the loan gear I required. Thanks to Canon I put the event behind me and was able to complete my assignments."

• "Oh, no, we can't give them what they want." Ampex tried that back when they owned the world. Look what happened to them.

• Here in California we have something called the LaBrea tar pits. It's sticky, hot asphalt, and over the ages animals just walk into it and sink. And you have to ask, why did those dinosaurs walk in there and sink? The stupid, it burns.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Brea_Tar_Pits

• This becomes worse and worse

Canon Inc (7751.T) cut its full-year profit forecast on Tuesday, becoming Japan's first major technology company to report a weaker outlook on the yen's surge following Britain's vote to leave the European Union.

The world's biggest maker of cameras and printers forecast group operating profit of 265 billion yen ($2.54 billion) for the year through December, from 300 billion yen estimated three months prior.

The new forecast, Canon's second downward outlook revision this year, is below market expectations of 297 billion yen, based on estimates of 17 analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters.

The company also said that for the quarter through June, operating profit fell 35 percent to 68.6 billion yen, missing the 81.9 billion yen average of five analyst estimates.

• Brexit is also no good

"In Japan, while we can expect to see a temporary surge in the value of the yen, the U.K.'s decision could also bring a halt to the economic recovery that had been underway," Mitarai, head of the camera and printer maker, said in a statement.

"We look to the Japanese government to implement strong monetary measures."

Monetary measures in simple means they want free money.

• Hirofumi Totsuka of Canon presented a 250 Mpixel APS-H size imager : 1.5 um pixel pitch (4 sharing) made in 0.13 um technology node. The device is consuming 1.97 W at full resolution 5fps. An interesting build-in feature of this sensor is the following : ALL pixel signals are converted by column SS-ADCs with a single ramp, but in front of the ADC, each column has its own PGA that can be switched to 4x or 1x gain, depending on the signal level. So when the pixels are sampled, a first check is done to look whether the signal is above or below a particular reference level, and then the right gain of the PGA is set to 1x or 4x. Simple method, but I think that the issues pop up in the reconstruction of the signal at the cross-over point between the two settings of the PGA

• Back to legal things

Get It Digital has responded with its Answer (that’s the official name of a defendant’s first response to a lawsuit). In the Answer, which I’ve embedded below, Get It Digital and All New Shop (I’ll collectively reference them as just “Get It Digital”) essentially deny all of the alleged wrongdoings that Canon asserts in the Complaint.

In the set up to Get It Digital’s defenses, however, they admit a few facts that are indisputable – such as the fact that Get It Digital is not an authorized Canon dealer and that the company sells Canon products online.

In addition to denying essentially all of the material facts, Get It Digital lays out three affirmative defenses that would kill Canon’s claims.

Check at http://www.photographybay.com/2015/12/14/canon-v-gray-market-retailers-get-it-digital-responds/

• You can get cheaper cameras than that on ebay? When I was in Hong Kong they weren't that much cheaper...

Yes you can :-) ebay is just marketplace (and I must say that like any capitalist endeavor it prefers large sellers).

Many sellers have their own shops.

• What? You can get cheaper cameras than that on ebay? When I was in Hong Kong they weren't that much cheaper...

• @alcomposer

No, also on ebay only big sellers posy any real threat.

Gray market is anything not imported via official Canon channels.