Personal View site logo
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • utezat what gamma mode do you shoot in? The camera can be as punchy or desaturated as you want. I like fuji color too and NX1 can be graded in that style.

• I love the Nx-1 in many ways, but i struggle with colors. I admit I have no color grading skills. I always loved the preset colors coming from the gh2. I am a lazy hobbyist.

• Coming from the Panasonic GH2, GH3, GH4, then the Canon T3i and finally the Sony A7s, I'd say the NX1's color is my favorite.

• huh? color in nx1 is damn good. don't look at anything from older firmwares. Andrew loves the nx1 by the way. even reids relatively thin nx1 guide has some ok tips to get best results. You have to dial back sharpness and saturation in camera. It has that consumer color punch thing just like tvs in stores. Easily handled.

both raw photo and video are highly gradeable. even quick grades make big differences because it has such a quality image.

• Color of Nx-1 is a nightmare. Not only gree, but reds can be brutal, nearly eye hurting . If you have grading skills, this won't matter. The perfect camera was a NX-2 with 422 10 bit, fuji color science, a log profile and 240 fps at full hd. I would never need another Camera.

• I think that comparison with the 1DC you looked at was with an early version of NX1 firmware. In any case, you can drop the green channel by whatever amount suits you in the profiles of the NX1.

• Well, it is very hard to say anything about such comparisons, as they depend on lenses also and ton of settings. And this is if you see source files, not edited stuff (that can be also affected by other things).

• I saw Voldemort's comparison of the NX-1 with the Canon 1DC. Way green. Has anyone seen a comparison of skin tones between the NX-1 and known-good performers such as the C100? A local shop has NX-1's sitting in their display case at list price. I was tempted (at a big discount of course), but Andrew's comparison scared me off.

• Samsung NX 50-200mm f/4.0-5.6 OIS Zoom Camera Lens available for $195

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-50-200mm-4-0-5-6-Camera-Black/dp/B00CBTLDOK/

• you can do 110Mbit at 120fps and 160Mbit at 100fps (PAL)

• And while doing 120 FPS?

I do not have NX1, you need to check last hacks. Even if it is not so I am sure it'll be done soon.

• What you mean? 160Mbit is from the hack.

And while doing 120 FPS?

-No wonder the used NX1 prices have gone up in the last days.

• Except the NX1 camera can't do that...

What you mean? 160Mbit is from the hack.

• @zcream

with the 120fps at 160mbps, its better to sell the gh4

Except the NX1 camera can't do that...

• I remember this video from way back when. One of the reasons I purchased the NX1. I found that shooting the X-Rite color checker chart and doing automated color correction in Resolve helps get the closer looking correct, something that I struggle with if I try to do it all manually in Resolve.

• The NX1 has a video profile called Gamma Dr. This is a little bit desaturated, maybe not far away from Cinelike D. The NX1 is unbelievable sharp and clean, but i struggle with colours.

Some users get really good results though:

• with the 120fps at 160mbps, its better to sell the gh4. :-( except all my lenses are m43

• Does the NX1 have any picture profile similar to the Panasonic GH4's CineLikeD? Any chance you could cut the two cameras footage together?

-From a current GH4 owner thinking about a 2nd 4k body.

• LS300 has a good j-log - and ND filters. Otherwise the 4K quality and noise on the NX1 should be better (based on codec). Also, LS300 seems to have a clunky touchscreen. Though the variable prime feature and variable sensor size are neat. Ursa Mini goes to ISO 800 and then noise becomes an issue. I am wondering if the NX1 image would be comparable to either..

• would you take this camera with the new hack over a LS300 or Ursa Mini ?

LOL. It is different cameras. Completely.

Hack has meaning only for high motion detailed 4K footage.

• @Vitaliy_Kesselev would you take this camera with the new hack over a LS300 or Ursa Mini ?