Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic, series 2
  • 1022 Replies sorted by
  • Driftwood's GH2 cam1 is out of action after finally sending it in to fix the two dead pixels in the EVF. So GH2 cam2 is out with some improvements to GOP1 coming soon.
  • WOO IM EXCITED FOR SO MANY THINGS RIGHT NOW!!!
  • Let's hear about it Perry!

• @Hallvalla
    Very Nice! I like it!
  • @Pix - thx!

@ Perry - got a three year old boy - best and worst thing that will ever happen to you ;) 'grats
  • check it out guys... my wife had this made for me for my Birthday today http://perrymwilson.com/
  • @perrywilson Cool website Perry
  • People want min QP of 4 and max QP in the 20s for great quality? Then try this AQ3 'reAQuainted' variation of the killer INTRA patch.

Driftwood 'reAQuainted' AQ3 on GOP1 INTRA 176M - seta.zip
    531B
  • @driftwood - Higher or lower average rate than the last 176? Will test shortly.
  • Well, its more in control of Q now. :-) Try it against the others -have fun.
  • @Driftwood, what do you reckon will be the max size for P/B frames in a GOP3 patch with maximized iFrames (1,180). About 500 - 700? Is there a way to set a minimum size for those? I know you have two great GOP3 patches at around 800k constant but I would love to have a GOP3 (1180/X00/X00) patch. Where x stands for the maximum size of the P/B frames (and would love to have it constant).

Something else:
    I have a 176M/154M GOP3 setting that survives my motion deathchart for 1500+ frames with great P/B frame sizes. Then I get a 2 frame drop-out, after which the streamparser graph drops 2 frames every 100 - 200 frames. What does this mean? Maximum reached? Or do I need to adjust FB1, FB2 or FL? I have a gut feeling that at a certain point a buffer overflows and the whole stream starts to stutter because of panic :)

Can you tell me what FB1 and FB2 do (why 1, 2) and do they relate to each other and/or the FL? I am trying to understand some important parameters and their relation so I can figure out a way to fix things. Also: what does the Muxer buffer do? Is it related to writing to the card or constructing the TS stream?
  • I have another Video Made with Driftwood's 176 v3 - I'm not as good as the others and is is sometimes a little bit shacky and focus loss during zoom. But i like it! All Hand Hold...
    Direct Youtube Upload, no Post...
  • @Driftwood -- just tested the new patch. No problems, looks great. Chews up card space like a mofo, but that's the price of quality.

On that note, what is the lowest bit-rate GOP 1 that you've got stable? I was wondering about setting it as 24L to give a longer-run option for doc work -- I don't mind starting a new clip every 10 - 12 minutes in an interview, but every 4 minutes is a little much :-)
  • @JDN You can get away with 135M but it will buffer underrun on a death chart. 145M is a safe bet, so not much on the saving sorry :-( This is the only way to keep the i frames and buffer top notch.

Also, everyone, I very much doubt we will be able to take this any further in terms of size of i frames. I believe 'reAQuainted' could be the best GOP1 INTRA patch now but I would like some of the other chaps to test it against QuantMeBaby, the 244M patch, etc.. etc...

My own tests confirrm 'reAQuainted' is making best use of quality macroblock QP. But I'll be happy to be prroved wrong. :-)

I just wanna thank Vitaliy, cbrandin, Kae and ALL you other guys for inspiring me to achieve the very best INTRA settting we can get.
  • Sorry, also @driftwood. The 100 mb GOP1 settings you posted a while back. Two questions: 1) did you have any problems with them and 2) if I wanted to apply your better Q quality from the lastest GOP1 patch, what would I alter? Sorry man, I know you must get bombarded with questions, but I'm really curious about the 100 mb GOP1 -- I'm getting excellent, excellent run time and quality from it and it feels to me the perfect thing to load into 24L for doc interviews, while keeping 24H free for B-roll & beauties with the latest and greatest of your ever evolving 176 gop1, or at least keep one loaded on one SD card and another on another SD card.

PS: It also spans!
    PPS: And it runs fine on Transcend, ADATA and Lexar so maybe those won't be relegated to gopro afterall...

EDIT: Tried bumping up AQ to 3 -- stopped spanning. So ignore most of the questions. But driftwood, if you did find any bugs with the 100 mb GOP1 let me know -- I assume you didn't as you're known for your rigorous testing, but I wanted to ask just in case.
  • @driftwood

I quickly tried your latest intra patch 'reAQuainted'. It looks great.

Thanks and keep your great studies!

Hiroshi

• I'm totally agree with Driftwood. For me reAQuainted is the best GOP1 patch. I only need 1050 i/720 25 P stable settings in the same patch . It will possible?
    Thanks
  • I ran reAQuainted on Transcend 32GB class 10 card. Blowing tree leaves looked amazing while not throwing away dark background detail. Amazing. But, alas, I am only getting 6 minutes on the card. Any ideas?
  • Format the card?!
  • @mclarenf1 Buy 6 more 32GB cards..?.....jk

@driftwood --- but seriously how much SHOULD you be able to get on a 32gb?
  • @driftwood, I did a sample on your latest reAQuaint but somehow the image cannot be played back in camera. Is there a bump in audio quality? thanks. I'll upload soon.
  • 6 minutes would indicate approximately 720mbps...it can't be right. Say the 176 GOP 1 averages very high around 150, then I'd guess you should be able to get approximately 30 minutes on a 32GB card.
  • @JDN The 'AQuamotion' 100M patch is designed for 80% cranked speed in 1080p24 mode. Its terrific for EX TELE mode at 80% speed setting. :-) Yes it will work fine and span better at normal 1080p24 recording too but if youre filming where best quality is required you gotta go back to any of the 176M patches like 'reAQuainted'.

@No_SuRReNDeR its easy to work out. record a minute at the location youre in! :-) Different day/night circumstances dictate any patch's qualitive recording, length and speed.
    Roughly roughly speaking its gonna be around a gig a minute!
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions