Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic, series 2
  • 1022 Replies sorted by
  • shot my short fim today, had no issues yesterday with the wedding, but some of today clips are jumpy and freezing... but I think it may be because currently my computer is out of HD space untill I move everything
  • nevermind everything is fine now...
  • New show being filmed with Gh2 and gopros
  • @Alex the noise issue, does it appear also on the non-ETC mode?

• here's the new Oly 45mm with Mr. Driftwood INTRA 176mbits GOP ver. 3 Q.

I'm stunned on the quality of the motion and grain, and ofcourse the low light.
  • Driftwoods QuantMeBaby. Canon FD 35mm "radioactive" F2 lens. Smooth -2-2-2-2. Un freakin believable
    comet.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 485K
  • @B3Guy
    The reds shouldn't be so weak for grading except in low lights (the gh2 becomes redish in underexposed areas and that's why the 'iso noise' is most of all red). Try the ettr rule or to desaturate only the red channel, only in dark areas and then to grade normally.
    A good way to avoid the problem is to shift the shadow reds to almost greens: it gives that modern 'film look'.
  • I think that driftwood's patches are exceptional, but does anyone else is so bothered by the spanning issue as much as me? How do you bypass the problem?
    I don't believe that all of you usually shoots tsui_hark-movie-like sequences of 2 seconds maximum.
  • This is a sample of the scene of night recorded with my latest 154M 3GOP Q10 patch "NINJA".

A sample in the daytime
    sa1.JPG
    1296 x 632 - 170K
    blues1.JPG
    1296 x 632 - 180K
  • @Elenion: Well, I wouldn't call 2 seconds the same as 4 minutes…

When have you seen the last movie with a single shot longer than 20 seconds? Well, Hitchcocks "Rope" comes to my mind.

BTW, the first RED One could record that much on a single CF card…

If you are into documentaries you might need to stick to 32 MB.
  • @B3Guy I still have Kae's 3.61 GOP3 66m settings on a 1 gig SD card -- pop it in when i need to roll for a long time. But would be curious to know as well if there are 3.62 GOP3 settings that span... very handy to have for doc work.

@Hallvalla lol. Thanks. As a small followup, I shot a lot at sister's wedding this weekend -- only brought the 25mm with me so used ETC a lot. I did notice the old grain/banding issues popping up in low light / high iso. Not as severe as it used to be, but still present in those conditions.
  • Looks like banding is much worse in the first seconds, then slowly goes back. Sensor warming? Some interferences with other components? I can´t see it until recording - which seems to switch sensoro into another mode anyways.
  • Hi, i tried to download the patch settings, and they don't open on my mac, can i find anywhere full instructions on how to make this patch work using wine bottler on macbook pro, please help
  • TV show currently in production using the Gh2 and Gopro cameras
    Thanks to the hack it is now possible, thanks Vitaliy!
  • low light + driftwood 176mb GOP1 patch

• Screen grabs from this weekends film I DP'd for 315 Films "Dawn" first one is RAW second is some coloring
    00002.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Colored.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • Thanks Micah , Congrats on the crab season!

inhousegoods, all I can say is "fother mucker that looks good!"
  • @PerryWilson Wow Perry great work man ish!! that looks amazing..
  • that was shot in nostalgic -2 everything but sat 0 I think I like smooth better but IDK
  • Perry, are you shooting with an anamorphic, or cropping? Thanks!
  • Hey all,

I've been following this thread for quite a while now, but first time posting. I'm curious as to whether the spanning problem is that it never spans, or is inconsistent when spanning. I was doing some tests about a week ago and the spanning problem completely slipped my mind and I was recording for a while with QuantMeBaby. When I got back home to check the footage, i noticed that my clips had spanned no problem. Just curious, because if it worked for me, I don't see why it wouldn't work for others.
  • @itimjim I am letterboxing in post... but I am shooting on LOMO primes (I wont shoot anamophic untill there are purpose built anamorphic lenses that can compete)
    @sanzadez I have no issues with spanning
  • It depends on the bitrate of the scene at the moment of spanning.
  • Here's a test video for a project I am working on. Lens used is the 7-14mm all shots are raw from the camera. Sky still looks a bit bandy and to get the best effect download the original

http://vimeo.com/groups/gh2/videos/30739134
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions