Personal View site logo
Film grain
  • 29 Replies sorted by
  • Hey everyone,

Thrilled you guys are enjoying the grain plates. Id be happy to answer any questions if you guys have any.

What you are noticing is actually a slight blur on the 16mm, which can be seen on the 8mm to an extreme. As I mentioned, these were 35mm plates that I customized and pushed to emulate 16mm and 8mm (which I compared to actual scans, which were poor quality and could only be used as reference).

If you would like the MOST control for a 16mm look, use the 35mm version, apply contrast to it, and a very tiny bit of high quality blur. If the size of the grain is still too small, zoom into the 35mm grain a bit. If the color of he grain alters the footage too much, desaturate the grain a bit.

The fuji and kodak absolutely have different qualities, and I personally find myself more drawn to the kodak style grain. In terms of a pure "filmic" look, I do find most people respond more to the Fuji stock but I feel that is due to the more "aggressive" grain pattern and and a warmer colors palette in the grain.

Thrilled to see you guys using and enjoying them. Please make any suggestions as if I get enough, I'll likely revise them.

Best,

Jason Bowdach Cinetic Studios

• @jbowdach @JoeThePro Thanks for the link to the scans!

In the 1990's Kodak had developed "T grain", which I recall, ionized the grain to all fall in the same direction and appear to be more uniform. Fuji did not. That's probably why the fuji looks more "aggressive"

• @jbowdach Thanks for the explanation about the differences between your 35/16/8 grains.

• @jbowdach Thanks for sharing those, and for the great info about the process! Cheers and please, keep feeding the comunity!