Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Film grain
  • 29 Replies sorted by
  • Hey everyone,

Thrilled you guys are enjoying the grain plates. Id be happy to answer any questions if you guys have any.

What you are noticing is actually a slight blur on the 16mm, which can be seen on the 8mm to an extreme. As I mentioned, these were 35mm plates that I customized and pushed to emulate 16mm and 8mm (which I compared to actual scans, which were poor quality and could only be used as reference).

If you would like the MOST control for a 16mm look, use the 35mm version, apply contrast to it, and a very tiny bit of high quality blur. If the size of the grain is still too small, zoom into the 35mm grain a bit. If the color of he grain alters the footage too much, desaturate the grain a bit.

The fuji and kodak absolutely have different qualities, and I personally find myself more drawn to the kodak style grain. In terms of a pure "filmic" look, I do find most people respond more to the Fuji stock but I feel that is due to the more "aggressive" grain pattern and and a warmer colors palette in the grain.

Thrilled to see you guys using and enjoying them. Please make any suggestions as if I get enough, I'll likely revise them.

Best,

Jason Bowdach Cinetic Studios

• @jbowdach @JoeThePro Thanks for the link to the scans!

In the 1990's Kodak had developed "T grain", which I recall, ionized the grain to all fall in the same direction and appear to be more uniform. Fuji did not. That's probably why the fuji looks more "aggressive"

• @jbowdach Thanks for the explanation about the differences between your 35/16/8 grains.

• @jbowdach Thanks for sharing those, and for the great info about the process! Cheers and please, keep feeding the comunity!