Personal View site logo
Canon - cry from the dying beast
  • Canon Inc. announced today that it is developing a Cinema EOS System 8K camera and professional-use 8K reference display that will support the production of next-generation 8K video content, along with a still-image single-lens reflex camera equipped with a CMOS sensor featuring approximately 120 million effective pixels. Through the Company’s proprietary imaging technologies, Canon provides still and video input and output devices that will contribute to the development of imaging culture.

Canon, as a leading company in the field of imaging technology, conducts research and development into devices designed to support cinema and video production with the aim of expanding the boundaries of visual expression. Through the further enhancement of the Cinema EOS System 8K camera and professional-use 8K reference display under development, Canon aims to contribute to smooth production workflows, facilitating not only the input and output of 8K video content, but also such processes as 8K to 4K down-conversion and 4K cropping.

The Cinema EOS System 8K camera being developed will be equipped with a Canon Super 35 mm-equivalent CMOS sensor that makes possible high-resolution 8,192 x 4,320 pixel (approximately 35.39 million effective pixels) imaging performance even at a frame rate of 60 frames per second with 13 stops1 of dynamic range and a richly expressive wide color gamut. Additionally, featuring a body size that realizes outstanding mobility and a design that delivers high levels of operability, along with an EF mount that offers compatibility with Canon’s extensive interchangeable EF lens lineup,2 the camera will support diverse shooting styles and means of visual expression.

Incorporating Canon image-processing technology, the ultra-high-resolution 8K reference display currently under development will achieve high brightness, high contrast (high dynamic range) and a wide color gamut. Additionally, with a pixel density exceeding 300 pixels per inch, a level approaching the limit of human visibility, the display will make possible ultra-realistic imaging that enables the reproduction of subtle changes in light that were previously not possible. Furthermore, when used in combination with the Cinema EOS System 8K camera, the display will be capable of conveying truly impressive levels of visual expression.

Featuring a resolution of approximately 120 effective megapixels, the SLR camera now being developed will incorporate a Canon-developed high-pixel-density CMOS sensor within the current EOS-series platform, which will realize compatibility with the Company’s diverse interchangeable EF lens lineup.3 The high-resolution images that the camera will be capable of producing will recreate the three-dimensional texture, feel and presence of subjects, making them appear as if they are really before one’s eyes. The camera will facilitate a level of resolution that is more than sufficient for enlarged poster-sized printout while also enabling images to be cropped and trimmed without sacrificing image resolution and clarity.

• 62 Replies sorted by
  • More pixels, less ideas ;)

• It is not about pixels, it is that PR department is doing if they have nothing to do.

• They keep showing off important tech milestones then go on to deliver products like the XC-10. That's quite a strategy... all PR buzz and zero high-value, mass-marketable products.

• While people continues to buy their products, this trend will continue.

• Coming from a history of cameras with mediocre 2k and 4k video capabilities I wonder what a big leap Canon is pretending to have made, here. But I shall be compelled by the incredible 8k sample footage they will publish soon... or will they? :-)

• I dont understand to Canon.

• Canon stated today that their 120mp APS-H sensor produces 210Mb raw files, it means that it is 14 bits values for each pixel. Big question arises if this has any meaning, as 16Mp m43 sensor already rarely has 12 bits of meaningful info (not pure noise or such).

• Seems like things are bad:

Canon USA filed a pair of lawsuits in October against Get It Digital, LLC and several other widely-known gray market retailers in a effort to force them to stop selling gray market Canon cameras and other products in the United States.

http://www.photographybay.com/2015/11/22/canon-is-suing-get-it-digital-and-others-to-stop-gray-market-dslr-sales/

• Doesn't grey market = ebay? And if so why not sue ebay?

Oh- probably not enough money for that!

• @alcomposer

No, also on ebay only big sellers posy any real threat.

Gray market is anything not imported via official Canon channels.

• What? You can get cheaper cameras than that on ebay? When I was in Hong Kong they weren't that much cheaper...

• You can get cheaper cameras than that on ebay? When I was in Hong Kong they weren't that much cheaper...

Yes you can :-) ebay is just marketplace (and I must say that like any capitalist endeavor it prefers large sellers).

Many sellers have their own shops.

• Back to legal things

Get It Digital has responded with its Answer (that’s the official name of a defendant’s first response to a lawsuit). In the Answer, which I’ve embedded below, Get It Digital and All New Shop (I’ll collectively reference them as just “Get It Digital”) essentially deny all of the alleged wrongdoings that Canon asserts in the Complaint.

In the set up to Get It Digital’s defenses, however, they admit a few facts that are indisputable – such as the fact that Get It Digital is not an authorized Canon dealer and that the company sells Canon products online.

In addition to denying essentially all of the material facts, Get It Digital lays out three affirmative defenses that would kill Canon’s claims.

Check at http://www.photographybay.com/2015/12/14/canon-v-gray-market-retailers-get-it-digital-responds/

• Hirofumi Totsuka of Canon presented a 250 Mpixel APS-H size imager : 1.5 um pixel pitch (4 sharing) made in 0.13 um technology node. The device is consuming 1.97 W at full resolution 5fps. An interesting build-in feature of this sensor is the following : ALL pixel signals are converted by column SS-ADCs with a single ramp, but in front of the ADC, each column has its own PGA that can be switched to 4x or 1x gain, depending on the signal level. So when the pixels are sampled, a first check is done to look whether the signal is above or below a particular reference level, and then the right gain of the PGA is set to 1x or 4x. Simple method, but I think that the issues pop up in the reconstruction of the signal at the cross-over point between the two settings of the PGA

• Brexit is also no good

"In Japan, while we can expect to see a temporary surge in the value of the yen, the U.K.'s decision could also bring a halt to the economic recovery that had been underway," Mitarai, head of the camera and printer maker, said in a statement.

"We look to the Japanese government to implement strong monetary measures."

Monetary measures in simple means they want free money.

• This becomes worse and worse

Canon Inc (7751.T) cut its full-year profit forecast on Tuesday, becoming Japan's first major technology company to report a weaker outlook on the yen's surge following Britain's vote to leave the European Union.

The world's biggest maker of cameras and printers forecast group operating profit of 265 billion yen ($2.54 billion) for the year through December, from 300 billion yen estimated three months prior.

The new forecast, Canon's second downward outlook revision this year, is below market expectations of 297 billion yen, based on estimates of 17 analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters.

The company also said that for the quarter through June, operating profit fell 35 percent to 68.6 billion yen, missing the 81.9 billion yen average of five analyst estimates.

• Here in California we have something called the LaBrea tar pits. It's sticky, hot asphalt, and over the ages animals just walk into it and sink. And you have to ask, why did those dinosaurs walk in there and sink? The stupid, it burns.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Brea_Tar_Pits

• "Oh, no, we can't give them what they want." Ampex tried that back when they owned the world. Look what happened to them.

• New optimistic PR

MELVILLE, N.Y., August 29, 2016 - Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, announced today that from August 6 to August 20, nearly 70 percent* of professional photographers on assignment in Brazil were Canon shooters. In addition, Canon brought a team of more than 70 highly trained technicians and support staff to Brazil this month to help maximize the uptime and performance of its professional broadcast and EOS imaging equipment users. Canon HDTV field lenses were ready on the evening of August 5 bringing viewers worldwide approximately 80 percent and nationwide 100 percent of the images they saw on TV.

"It is humbling to know that such a large number of the world's most talented sports photographers relied on Canon equipment to capture this historic sporting event. Their iconic images from so many different events have been and will be seen by millions of people around the world for years to come. To support the needs of our customers and help them accomplish their goals, Canon Professional Services is always set up and ready at major sporting events throughout the year to assist by providing comprehensive equipment maintenance and repairs, extensive equipment loans and expert technical support," said Yuichi Ishizuka, president and COO, Canon U.S.A., Inc.

During the events, a photographer that had equipment stolen was quickly assisted by CPS staff so he could get back on assignment. According to Brett Costello, News Corp. Australia photographer, "The CPS team in Brazil was amazing. I was very upset at having my gear stolen on August 4 at a café and thought my ability to cover the coming events were over. When I told the Canon staff there what had happened to me, they didn't hesitate in helping with the loan gear I required. Thanks to Canon I put the event behind me and was able to complete my assignments."