Personal View site logo
RJ Follow Focus, looks very good
  • 187 Replies sorted by
  • I'll add an example of other Chinese gear in a new thread soon.
  • I'm so ready to try it out. Mine will be shipped next Monday. I love the pancake!

• Saw this one a little late. Looks like he is backordered, I am going to wait and see if they can fill in the backlog before I drop cash on this.
  • Hmmm... sounds like ten bagger!
  • >Getting supply issue at only 80 units doesn't sound like it.

You must understand that no FF on ebay ever had been sold in such amounts in such time.
    So, producer only recently started making them, as I understand. And order had been limited.
    As for high volume methods, it is easy to spot. Such approach is used in production on large volume factories (no CNC and such stuff).

>If things don't work out, just sell'em at little loss.

I have big doubts about little loss, sounds more like big gain. :-)
  • Are you sure about them using high volume methods? Getting supply issue at only 80 units doesn't sound like it. The seller is gonna add more workers though.

I like the gear "box", the lens gear style, and the reversible feature. $126.50 including shipping. Plus the lens gear special. So cheap. What can go wrong? If things don't work out, just sell'em at little loss.
  • @agitprop

Can you give some examples? It is very interested to get in contact with manufacturers.

And this guy sold 80 FF in few days. Without any paid advertising (I am not very correct here, as one site who wrote about this live on affilate money, so glad to write about anything).
  • BTW - I live in Shanghai, the cheap gear available is quite overwhelming - but I chose not to go too cheap and went for some better quality stuff more in the lines of Tilta or Trustmt.
  • The seller told me the orders are exploding. Mine will be shipped next week. Get in the line fast before it gets too long!
  • I ordered one. Since I never owned FF, I can't do any comparison, but I will say some.
  • As with the USA many years ago, china is going through an industrial and manufacturing revolution which brings in huge revenues and ignites many fortunes. But also like the USA, this boom in profits cannot last and eventually they will have to switch to cost cutting in order to maintain profits, which in itself cannot work either. Eventually any company will *have* to accept that they will reach a plateau in profit but they won't accept it. They will continue to attempt to cut costs into profitability. Unfortunately I've seen this many times at different companies and am experiencing this now at the one I work for.

Anyway, back on topic. I'd love to see a review of this FF when someone gets it.
  • >You know... it is scary. Chinese manufacturers are getting smarter in marketing and distribution and customer supports. Total market dominance... coming soon.

It is interesting how this corresponds with modern theory of "design houses as foundation fo US leadership" :-)
  • well, I've worked in design and manufacturing in the states for a decade now and can say that we have nobody to blame but ourselves. We let our companies lay good working people off in order to reap more profits from cheap labor overseas. We've lost our "quality" and gained quantity and cheap prices but we've also allowed ourselves to get in a position where we don't have the personal cash to support more expensive, but better quality, products, but we also don't have the salaries needed to support the higher costs because of corporate cost cutting and finally we don't have the jobs to support people who are currently out of work due to all of the above. So in short, as consumers, our pays have not risen in proportion to local costs because we've gotten used to the cheap foreign labor. Now that other countries like China have better products and better prices, we are now dependent on them to supply our goods because we can't afford to make them ourselves. Good job USA, good job.
  • You know... it is scary. Chinese manufacturers are getting smarter in marketing and distribution and customer supports. Total market dominance... coming soon.

What do we have in the States? A bunch of middlemen... distributors... marketing people... not many making actual stuffs. Too bad. Chinese people wanna bake their cakes and eat'em too.
  • >New products? New version of FF?

No, new here means other things :-)
  • New products? New version of FF?
  • Very interested in this and very interested in the feel and the amount of actual backlash overall.
  • They also tell that new products will come soon.
    So, producers of high price film gear, I have good news for ya.
    Be afraid, be very afraid. (c)
  • Just bought one. Keen on more of the lens gears.

R
  • Thanks. I will contact the seller.
  • >Darn I just ordered in this morning.

It is ok.
    Contact seller, and ask for required gears (he'll make additional invoce if it is not shipped already).
    Mention this site name in your comment to seller (during checkout) and you'll get $12 per gear price, or $10 per gear is you order 10 or more. Original price is $15 per gear :-)
  • Darn I just ordered in this morning.
  • Just talked to seller.
    We'll have special discounted price for additional lens gears for our forum members (you can buy as many as you wish with one FF).
    I'll post details soon.
  • >And what do you use to mount the rods to the camera body??

Look for any cheap plate. IndieSystem - http://www.indisystem.com (they are selling them with cheap good carbon rods btw), Gini, etc.
  • And what do you use to mount the rods to the camera body??
    Sorry for the stupid question...but looking for a cheap, markable FF unit. Like the price of this one, plus the carbon rods you showed link too.