Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
RJ Follow Focus, looks very good
  • 187 Replies sorted by
  • Forgive me, I'm new at follow focus stuff. What do we mean by "amount of play in gear box" and how does it affect focusing in real world?
    Does it mean if I rack focus from Point A to Point B, the gear will not stop exactly on Point B, instead it will shift a few millimeters in distance?
  • Just bought the ROD Rig from JinFinance, suit me fine.
  • Here is first video review of this follow focus

Very positive :-)
  • Sellers hiked price to $156-163 in perfect sync. Motherfuckers.
    Use our AliExpress link to get old price.
  • Also suggest to look at this FF (also Chinese) :

Cost is higher, of course. But lower than TrusMT.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Professional-DSLR-follow-focus-7D-5D-GH1-D90-60D-/260794511525?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb89070a5

• deleted
  • >The rubber(???) lens gear ok, but it won't work on 20.7 pancake as it bumps into GH1's handgrip

With reversed gear also?
    Can you show how it bumps?

>360 degree lens gear would work... but I don't feel like buying it.

IndieSystem 360 degree gear do not work, it is just too large.
    Almost all other gears also won't work as handgrip is too close.
  • The revered gear works fine. The FF gear can handle the pancake. It's the lens gear with the screw lock that bumps into the hand grip. It's just a tad bit too tall.

This isn't a showstopper for me as I'm planning to trade 20.7 for PL 25.4. But those of u who wanna use the pancake... find another lens gear.
  • >This isn't a showstopper for me as I'm planning to trade 20.7 for PL 25.4. But those of u who wanna use the pancake... find another lens gear.

Such gear will be very hard to find. It must be small and be 360 degrees.
    Nothing comes to mind.

You can look here
    http://www.kiryakov-kameratechnik.de/catalog/index.php?language=en

This guy is not dumb reseller.
    He understand that he is doing and you can even ask him to make or try to get other gear.

@stonebat
    If you are ok without 360 degrees, such gears are available at aliexpress, a I remember.
    They are similar to yours, but locking is small and flat.
  • Thanks, but I'm not keeping the pancake. PL 25.4 has fast and quiet AF. My pancake going to ebay next month.
  • For the pancake i would make a rubber doughnut that slips over the gear wheel and turns it with friction rather than gear meshing. Much less bulky as well.

What date did you order yours Stonebat?
  • I'd also like to extend my thumbs up to this follow focus. I didn't buy it but had the opportunity to test it with my rig in a store here in Hong Kong (they sell it for US$230!!).
    It's surprisingly light and sturdy. And I just love the way you can just pull out the gear and stick it on the other side... this is great for my cine lenses where the focusing mechanism is at the rear.
    However, I didn't test the gears as all my cine lenses have in-built gears.
    The only thing is that it's not height-adjustable - something you'll have to live with.

But overall... pretty damn good for that price! Proud of my countrymen!
  • If anyone still want to buy from ebay seller, you can ask for discount on FF via PM mentioning this site.
    Works with direct payment only (so, I can hardly call this real discount, as it is almost equal to fees).
    Use AliExpress instead.
  • >Proud of my countrymen!

Chinese sellers are pressing harder and harder with each month (they already make best focus under $200, and best one under $600).
    Impact of this FF on low end sector is significant, for example.
  • I am interested with rig, is anyone tried it yet? Please share your impressions here.
  • > What date did you order yours Stonebat?
    6/7

Make sure you test thoroughly when you get it.
  • Same date as me, you musta got lucky. Supposedly mine ships tomorrow, hope the rod rig i ordered also comes with it same time.
  • Dude, I got a bad copy, but the seller isn't responding... yet.
  • bad copy of which product?
  • The first one
  • ah yes you had the one with the clicking sound from the brass bearing coming in and out. i tried making mine do that but it simply doesnt, it looks like a good bet that you got a bad luck copy. we'll see if anyone else has those issues soon enough.
  • No response from the seller. I sent him 2nd email. I'm not in panic mode since ebay will take care of me if things go south. Hopefully the seller agrees to exchange it for free this week. Also I ordered 10 extra lens gears. $10 each. I'm supposed to get a total of 11. One from the gear box. But he sent me only 10.
  • Woo-hoo. All good. The seller apologized for the trouble. Free exchange. Yeap sending me the missing lens gear, too.
  • good to hear they are caring.