Personal View site logo
Lenses for Canon FD mount
  • 188 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood
    It certainty is!
  • hahah you say that kiewslowski should have used this lens, hahah that makes me :D

hahah

ouh!, and i manage to get a parcial refund, because the seller didn´t state correctly the mechanical defectiveness, so i end up paying U$120, wich is better :)

and is better, because i also just make a deep clean of the lens and improve the smoothness :)
  • Yeah, it has that old look from Polish TV, not unlike Kiewslowski's Decalog
  • well it has arrived, i would never buy a zoom again if i´m buying from a non local area, the mechanical parts are quite defficient in my unit

but in the optics side, it is in good state, i kind of like it, looks oldish, it is different than the prime i have, but it has like a photographic look (specially with the nostalgic setting) instead of a cinematic look (i seriously don´t know if anyone would understand that statement, but :) ), i´ll keep it, it´s a pretty big and heavy lens

i only regret to have paid that much, probably not the best buy,
    softer at higher focals, sharper as it gets wide

the pics are in-camera jpeg from a video (look at the name to know what it is)
    35mm f2.8.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 374K
    35mm.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 307K
    macro.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 234K
    50mm f3.5 zoom.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 320K
    50mm f3.5 prime.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 325K
    macro3.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 346K
    70mm.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 292K
    macro2.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 329K
    macro4.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 276K
  • @AmandaNL Isn't the 55mm 1.2 SSC Aspherical just wonderful! Beautiful pictures.
  • Love the FD 50mm 1.4. Razorsharp.
  • Just picked up a cheap (£30!!) Vivatar Series 1 35-85mm 1:2.8 'Auto Variable Focussing' which seems great for an A-B style focus setup. Anyone else tried / used this lens? Seems fab.
    For me my current fav FD lens is my Canon FD 55mm 1:1.2 S.S.C. Aspherical -Ive got the Oly Zuiko 50mm and 55mm 1.2's but the FD just seems to have the edge. Plus, its widely reknown as one of the best lenses in its class of all time.
  • @kazuo
    i end up payng CLP 85000, wich is like USD 160, i will be using it for stop motion animations, and shootings on the fly

but :), well let see.. it hasn´t arrive yet,
    i hope that is not that far of my 50mm 1.4,
    because i didn´t know that the look of a zoom lens differs from a prime
  • @lolo

How much did you have to pay for the lens? If it's below $150, then no worries. See it as a useful tool that allows you flexibility on the run. Like stonebat says, shoot event coverage, or news gathering.

What will you be using the lens for? For sure, you can still use it for video. Pls dun get me wrong. Any FD lens imho is by far sharper than alot of the plastic lenses they put out there for sale these days.
    But if you are into nice images, dramatic kind of stuff, then you'd need time to find the right piece of glass to give you the effect you want: nice bokeh, dof etc.
  • Zoom is better for event shooting.
  • @kazuo
    thank you for answering but...
    hahahha damn it i already bough it, is coming to my house tomorrow :p

my purpose in using a zoom is being able to frame more comfortable,
    but is it still good enough to be usable for video????
  • @lolo

I tried the Canon FD 35-70mm this year, and sold it back to the second hand dealer. I discovered that unless you are shooting stills, zoom lenses are not optimised for video. The DOF and bokeh effects are different from fixed primes, so at 35mm for instance, if you put a fixed lens and a zoom side by side, obviously the images will not be 100% the same.

What's your purpose of trying out the zoom? Why not try a fixed 35mm, and a 85mm? And in between you have 40mm, 50mm, 55mm lenses to play with?
  • We will start using alien's alphabet.
  • 2009 – X
    2010 – Y
    2011 – Z
    2012 – ?

It looks like Canon also agree that 2012 is end of the world :-)
  • if anyone is interested in knowing the year of manufacture of a canon lens, look at this:
    http://ourshutterjourney.wordpress.com/2011/07/27/canon-lens-code-aka-date-code/

i have one of 1982 an another one from 1979 hahah :) are older than me but prettier!
  • has anyone tried the
    Canon Fd 35-70mm 2.8-3.5 S.S.C.??
    i´m thinking of buying one for U$200, is that overpriced for what it is ? or is it worth it?, it looks mint though, any help?
    ooo.jpg
    796 x 1200 - 110K
  • I've got the Vivitar 28mm f/2.0. It's soft wide open and flares easily, but I like the character:)
  • The Kiron 24mm is quite good, I really use it a lot on my GH2 (only marginally behind the Rokkor 24mm, which was on top in it's time). I don't know about the 28mm, though. Rumour has it that Kiron was founded by ex-Nikon engineers (could be an anagram)…
  • Hi,

I want to buy a 28mm f/2 in FD mount. I have seen that there's the Canon FD (SSC) for 200-300$, and other brands like Vivitar and Kiron, for prices from 60$ to 200$, almost always cheaper than the Canon.

I'd appreciate if somebody shared their experiences with these ones. Is the quality difference noticeable with our GH2 in video? Is the SSC coating a must?

Thanks
  • grr . . . attach a file is not working!
  • These are all from the Tamron Adaptall-2 17mm f3.5, except for the one of the guy in the red cap. That photo is from the Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8
  • Finally bought the Vivitar 55 (around 80€) and the 80-200 L (around 180€), not so cheap, but I'm not really patient. Hope they will be as mint as the sellers pretend them to be ...
  • hi everyone i am looking to sell my Canon FD f1.4
    Minty condition.
    Lens comes with FD-m4/3 adaptor. Asking for US$180, but shipping is not included.
  • @Vitaliy and all, I'm interested in the 80-200 f4 L, and I'm wondering what would be an "honest" price for it : I found that the lasts sold on eBay were around 200€ (280$). Did you buy yours at a similar price ?
    What adapter would you recommend for this quite heavy lens ?

Txs !
  • @Mihuel

Thanks for the suggestion but I went for the Yashica 50mm f1.4 it's a great lens and I saved a new adapter.