Personal View site logo
GH4 Firmware 2.3, V-log for $99, Epic Panasonic marketing fail
  • 1451 Replies sorted by
  • @discomandavis I agree but I feel this is going to be like Cine-D / Cine-V when people first tried it out. It's going to take a few weeks/months in the community to figure out the best settings and workflow. I hope this is the case.

• Nick Driftwood tweeted that the zebra problem is to do with the workaround, sounds like it shouldn't be an issue in the paid for version.

• Oh @discomandavis I thought you meant vertical noisy banding (not sure why), but you mean color banding right? I haven't shot anything that it would've shown up in, but that is something that I do expect.

• OMG, after over an hour, no luck downloading a workable 2.3 even off of Panasonic's site, I think they have caught on and are blocking it... Thank you Vitaliy for that link: http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SCANNER-Digital-CAMERA-WEBCAM/Panasonic/Panasonic-DMC-GH4-Camera-Firmware-23.shtml finally got it installed!!!! Can't wait to test this tomorrow!

• many are reporting vastly improved skin tones.

• I should know this by now, but is IRE equal to percentages on zebras? If Vlog clips at 79 IRE is it best to set zebra to 80% and back off a bit? What about skin tones?

• Skin tones are so much nicer. I think it might be worth playing with iResolution set to Low to reduce banding.

• 80 percent zebras will never kick in... at least not now.

• Strange - 80% zebras are working for me.

• oh, wow... I forgot to check my settings, I thought I was still set at 80%, you are right. AND you can set zebras just about whereever you want, now. I have mine set now at ZEBRA 1 - 70% and Zebra 2 and 75%, that's a nice new feature. [my apologies if this isn't new, I hardly ever use them]

• @shian - Pedestal and Luminance Level are greyed out using this. I wonder which the luminance level is actually set to?

• @nobbystylus The skin tones look great. In a well lit room I am also seeing very slight banding on screen, in camera recording and even over 10-bit HDMI.

• So what LUTs are people using with vlog ? , seeing as there are no official ones for the vlog profile out there yet from the likes of filmconvert and impulz

• Some people use the Varicam35 VLog LUT:

http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/varicam/35/dl.html

Also some people have made custom ones:

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/9419-v-log-unlocked-for-free/?do=findComment&comment=107049

Or just use an Alexa log to Rec709 LUT.

(Edit - mind blown about second link name...)

• @dial that's because banding is mostly caused by codec compression and not color depth.

• I wonder why there is banding even with 10 bit uncompressed output.

• I shot this yesterday, and I've noticed some sky banding in 4K, and alot in 96fps HD. The DR and color is awesome though. Much improved.

• @GeoffreyKenner I'm seeing slight banding on the LCD display as well as the clips.

Overall I'm surprised with the results on a 8-bit 264 codec and will be further testing it at a shoot this weekend.

• @aaronchicago that is awesome footage, and is very encouraging. There is banding just like you said. But that DR is very very encouraging! I havent gotten a chance to play with DR yet. But I guess I know what I will be doing today... I am also digging the highlight roll off very very much, this straight up looked like Alexa footage. Wood you mind telling us how you approached grading? Luts and all that goodness.

• @discomandavis thanks. I used the Cineon converter in Premiere. LOG to Linear setting. After that a little bit of contrast and saturation but thats pretty much it.

• Liking the grade @aaronchicago . With such impressive color science in V-Log mode, it makes me wonder why the other profiles are so different to begin with. I hope all the [movie] profiles lean this direction on a future GH5. They could sell those cameras for the 4K 60P and sweet skin tones all day long.

• @aaronchicago. Nice work! The cineon converter certainly brings it into a nice look. Less magenta and washed out that any of the Varicam or Arri Luts. V-Log L is definitely shaping up.

• To Vitaliy will like this. ;-)

• Thanks @tron and @nobbystylus. Yeah Cineon has the best color from what I've seen. Varicam LUT has a little bit better exposure control. It's brighter and more saturated, but has a pink tint. The Alexa LUT is just too yellow.

• @aaronchicago lots of underexposed shots, but I guess if you are going for that highlight protected low key look it works well. Colors are great.