Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 Firmware 2.3, V-log for $99, Epic Panasonic marketing fail
  • 1451 Replies sorted by
  • @balazer In my Lumetri scopes, it looks like clipping at ISO400 is: R-205, G-206, B-210, ISO 500: R-208, G-209, B-212, and increases every so much with the ISO increase. ISO 1600 is right around 235 for all RGB (blue a little higher prob due to WB). Also, I may be reading this wrong and perhaps I didnt have any true overexposure in the test shots at the lower ISOs. Uploading test files to Wetransfer for you to analyze if you want.

Test files:http://we.tl/PrpnwgSFrU NR and sharpening were at 0 and 0 for v-log shots.

• @vitaliy_kiselev that's my point. I know the engineer's aren't getting the money. What I'm saying is that if the people who only care about profits see that this was a disaster what do you think they'll say next time the topic of "big firmware update" comes up?

• I'm sure they had the discussion on whether or not to make it a firmware update, or hold off till GH5.

• I know the engineer's aren't getting the money. What I'm saying is that if the people who only care about profits see that this was a disaster what do you think they'll say next time the topic of "big firmware update" comes up?

I think it is not big update by any means.

But the way the development is organized in Panasonic it is almost impossible to make steady big changes without big organizational changes.

As for management - I hope it will be some good lesson.

• I can't change my picture profile at all in the lumix link app...

I got the firmware, downloaded, connected to the app, but I just get a zoom rocker and a photo icon, no control, and nothing shows on the camera. Hopefully can buy it tomorrow at B&H anyhow, but meantime...

• Probably wrong app. You have image app downloaded?

• The GH4 must be in 'movie mode' before you begin.

• Now the title " GH4 Firmware 2.3, V-log for $99, Epic Panasonic marketing fail " has it mean -;)

• So has panasonic taken the 2.3 firmware down? Anyone have the file?

• Just heard they may have taken it down to change the bug in the 2.3 update. I just got it.

• The bug is not in the firmware update as much as it is in the image app circumventing the activation process. The funny thing is, with a WiFi sniffer, you can also see what is being sent to the camera to allow the selection in the first place.

So even if they fix the app and not the firmware, you can still get in, it will just be harder to do as you have to have more 'skills' like myself.

• @estarkey7

It is primary firmware issue, as if done properly nothing will work, even with buggy smartphone app.

• Downloaded. Installed. Dont you think that was a intentional move from Panny . This firmware thing are causing a lot of heat ...maybe they know what was about to happen...anyway...just wondering...

• Knowing Japanese and Korean management - nope, it is not intentional. But quite normal :-)

• actual oversight?

• Can someone test if this trick would work on a Pana G7?

• G7 doesn't have v-log so doesn't work

• Who gets their ass eaten more @Vitaliy_Kiselev, the V-Log dev team, the smartphone dev team or the audit team?

My bets are that heads roll at audit!

• @estarkey7

I think no one, Japanese style is to keep face. Someone will just make special report to top management that it was special secret plan.

• What happens when Panasonic releases a new feature pack firmware update. Will it deactivate the free v-log update when you upgrade to the new version?

• Re set your camera now then see might be an answer

• What happens when Panasonic releases a new feature pack firmware update. Will it deactivate the free v-log update when you upgrade to the new version?

What happens if big meteorite will hit the earth tomorrow? Will it deactivate free VLOG? Will I need VLOG while searching for few remaining survivors and for food?

• I will definitely need my camera to photo the food and take a selfie with my new surviving friend.

• I will definitely need my camera to photo the food and take a selfie with my new surviving friend.

And what about VLOG? Can your new friend bear horrible life like saturation and TV like picture of normal profile?