Personal View site logo
about that feature film i did with the GH2
  • 34 Replies sorted by
  • well, how much can you reduce from NEEDED scenes?

IMO the person who can answer this knows the secret of filmmaking.

• Huh, somehow India filmmakers manage to keep films engaging (just in different way) for 3 or more hours :-)

• very few hollywood films are engaging from start to finish. many have only 10 minutes of engaging scenes out of the entire two hours. so maybe you shouldn't put too much pressure on yourself to expect every scene to make people go awwww? or maybe the same standard doesn't apply to indies since hollywood has all the money in the world and they can do whatever they want?

• I can't tell what to have from what's posted. If your happy at 50 minutes, go for it. I have to shorten everything I do a half dozen times though. What I think it needs, usually drags on for others. Eventually, I get it where everyone is happy.

• @brianl well, how much can you reduce from NEEDED scenes? (or at least, scenes i think that are needed?) i guess i'll be wiser after some feedback.

• why would i make it a short film?

well if you think you have 50 minutes of viable content, go for it. On the other hand, reduces a story to a quantum level is always a good exercise and normally yields a more dynamic narrative.

• @rozroz Rock on. Looks like it has potential.

• @brianl i will make a trailer, that's obviously a further step. these shots were just what i edited 4 years ago to let people see a GH2 native abilities..

but i DO have a 50 minutes very presentable offline (not including any completion scenes yet) why would i make it a short film? most festivals declare 40 minimum for a feature film..

• why don't you just do a trailer? If it generates interest, make it a short. Try and bring it under 20 minutes. Film Fests prefer shorts that aren't long so they can program more films. Also, I like your footage above, but that's no trailer as it conveyed no story or drama.