Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH1 firmware research, testing
  • 277 Replies sorted by
  • GH1 cannot be better than this, stable in all recording modes, good enough image quality in all iso, good light, low light (there is no user file here, just the patch because this patch does not use the user file):

second upload has gop10 for wrapped 24p and gop20 for 60p, for better low light performance.

gh1_apefos.zip
    656B
    gh1_apefos_gop10-13-20-26.zip
    656B
  • @humpman please, see these two topics about how to avoid banding in GH1 low light high iso videos. there is a trick to make the image very good. The reports say that iso 3200 gets improved. I believe this trick can work pretty good with the last patch I uploaded in previous post above. thanks.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?243995-GH-1-GH-13-Fixed-Pattern-Noise-Breakthrough

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?242979-Shooting-video-at-night-with-the-GH2

• 1st above: looks good, few motion error on sandisk 45mbs. on 50mbs card all ok but still no spanning:( can we go little lower?

• little lower:

gh1_apefos_little-lower.zip
    424B
  • Don't give up guys : )

• can we apply audio hack of gh2 for gh1?

• 67 Mbps settings, 50i mode tested only, seems stable. High bitrate became avaible due to new constant.

seta.ini
    778B
    user.ini
    death_chart.jpg
    1289 x 683 - 272K
  • Experimental settings, bitrate can be about 100Mbps, matrices unchecked.

setb.ini
    775B
    user.ini
  • Interesting, that settings above, bitrate variates from about 10-100Mbps depends on scene.

• @humpman

In GH1 most important thing is to understand encoder logic and adjust or change it. As GH2 encoder is much smarter and GH1 one is utter stupid.

• It would be great achievement to make the bitrate vary between 24-36Mbps instead of 10-100Mbps. we just need to find a way to avoid the bitrate to get too low. maybe the firmware has a minimum datarate to specify. if some people wants it high so they can make it vary between 36-100Mbps, but the big problem in gh1 is not the maximum datarate, the problem is the minimum because it gets too low automaticaly in low detail scenes and in low light.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev yeah, but that is the way for smart guys, and we used to use hammer for such things.

• @apefos just set "min QP" to 0.

• @apefos i did found max bitrate numbers for NTSC, numbers are different but max bitrate is same to PAL, 67 Mbps. Check it. Those "constant" patches fixes speed write error. But there is rain stuff with default matrices.

setb.ini
    525B
    user.ini
  • great achievement!

the diagonal rain can be solved with the matrix advanced-plus, qp4-51 and gop 10-13-20-26

see patches below and use them as a base to apply your constant settings and datarates:

gh1_apefos_advanced-1080_plus-720_qp4-51.zip
  • @yskunto Here is settings for GF1 in PAL. Tested.

seta.ini
    552B
    user.ini
  • Here is settings for G2 in PAL. Not tested.

seta.ini
    552B
    user.ini
  • @humpman Thank you! In the G2 seta.ini, I change "Camera=GF1 v1.22" to "Camera=G2 v1.10" and your "secret" settings are on! I will check the result next week Tuesday and report to you.

@apefos do you interested to test your custom matrix on GF1 and G2 720p25 and 720p30 mode?
  • @humpman G2 won't start to record if I checked "Constant 393216=1179648". If I unchecked this option, G2 start to record but then will stop and report that my card is not fast enough. I use the Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s 32GB. It should be good for high bitrate.

If I unchecked all the constant (leaving only min qp=0) and lower the bitrate to 44Mbit, then it is stable but won't pass the death chart.
  • @yskunto Try to multiply Constant 393216 by 2,4,5,10 times. I have GF1 but no G2.

• @humpman I will have same time tomorrow and Id like to make final decision for stable GH1 settings. Any suggestion for test 25p? 29may was last stable winner so far

• @humpman I try to multiply Constant 393216 by 1 to 10. Only 1, 2, 4, and 8 that enable G2 to start to record. Among those multiplications, only multiplication by 4 that is successfully created an .mts file. It is able to record for 0.72 seconds before reporting that my card is not fast enough and stop recording. I need to unplug the battery to make the camera off. I sent you a link to download the .mts

• @konjow i use this settings, PAL.

seta.ini
    525B
    user.ini
  • @yskunto try these, there is a little differences in encoder's init settings between GH1,GF1 and G2.

seta.ini
    587B
    user.ini