Personal View site logo
GH1 apefos patches
  • 58 Replies sorted by
  • @apefos after your description, I wonder if a used GH1 should be worth around 150 Euro. With all the problems, no audio hack, lower bitrate, no touch screen, no high burst mode, etc, may be adding another 100 Euro to have a GH2 is a wiser decision.

• the last uploaded patch is working for wrapped 24p and for 720p60 without diagonal rain up to iso 1600 in low light. the datarate is not so high in low light but it is enough for a good image quality. the 5dtorgb software cannot remove diagonal rain as it can do for gh2, so the main goal now for gh1 is to avoid the diagonal rain. this patch uses the panasonic matrix and minqp=19. this minqp=19 is the thing that does the trick for removing the diagonal rain. also the datarate is set to 40Mbps overall 42 video buffer 50 to keep things under a safe value. the quality in low light is ok. it seems I will finish my work now because my custom matrix gives diagonal rain even with the minqp=19 so this last patch is the safe option, it works ok with noise reduction -2 for better resolution and quality to preserve detail and avoid soft look.

the gh1 has a problem: when the datarate increases in low light the diagonal rain shows up with original and custom matrix. the 5dtorgb software does not remove it. so it is better to use an average datarate without the diagonal rain.

• No Dagonal Rain Patch for GH1

the patch in this post is special. it uses the original panasonic matrix and default gop, but there is a fine tuned qp (quantization parameter) adjust to avoid the diagonal rain and keep a good enough datarate in low light in wrapped 24p and in 60p. it can use the noise reduction -2 for best resolution and no problem.

no_diagonal_rain.zip
  • there is a hope...

it seems that the low light high iso has a maximum datarate limit before the diagonal rain shows up.

even using the original panasonic matrix the diagonal rain appears if datarate is high in low light, but if datarate is low in low light it does not show up.

so adjusting the minimum qp (quantization parameter) can be useful to find the maximum datarate for low light before the diagonal rain appears.

• gh1 is very pŕoblematic camera.

the achievement to avoid the diagonal rain only works with noise reduction +2 in camera, but it hurts resolution

using noise reduction -2 improves resolution but diagonal rain shows up ugly.

big problem: 5dtorgb does not remove it !!!

oh my god! what to do now? go back to default matrices with small datarate improvement???

• this is the best matrix I could find to minimize the diagonal rain problem in 720p, but not completely avoided. it is more prone to show when there are grey surfaces and high iso also underexposed.

in wrapped 24p the issue is solved from some posts ago and it is the same matrix from the post which shows the patch name in bold letters.

advanced-1080_advanced+720.zip
  • wrapped 24p is working perfectly, but sometimes the 720p60 show a very low datarate around 6Mbps. to try to solve this there is the patches below with another matrix for 720p

advanced-1080_plus-720_2+.zip
  • the native 24p and 25p working ok in death chart without empty frames and high datarate in low light with amazing image texture, but problem is: it crashes in the grass with empty frames and image corruption.

gh1 native 24p and 25p patch

works for 50p and 60p also

setg is a little lower datarate compared to seth, try seth first.

advanced plus matrix

qp4-51

gop = 12 - 13 - 30 - 26

the diagonal rain problem shows up only in iso 3200 in 24p, in 60p it is more prone to happen in high iso and low light. do your tests. if you perceive it use 5dtorgb software to convert to prores and problem is solved. the gh1 ptool options does not have the deblocking tables so there is no way to remove the diagonal rain completely.

gh1_apefos_native24p-25p.zip
  • it seems that the native 24p is working without empty frames... no... it crashes in the grass.

• The maximum iso for the gh1 is iso 1000. it cleans ok with neatvideo and looks like iso 100 after denoise. from iso 1250 and above the sensor starts to show ugly horizontal pattern which does not clean ok and also the color starts to desaturate. to avoid using neatvideo the iso needs to be 640 and below, better 400 and below.

using iso 1000 and below the creative movie mode works good, there is no need to use the exposure trick from dvxuser forum to avoid horizontal pulsing banding.

the vertical stripes can be minimized with a good white balance and using a fast lens with focal reducer, more light reaching the sensor helps minimize the vertical lines, also it is important to avoid underexposure.

the diagonal rain problem is minimized by the patches above in last upload, but not completely avoided, some very small amount almost unnoticeable is present. so converting the videos with 5dtorgb is welcome before editing.

the pulldown removal is easy to do for 24p, all clips shows the same kind of pulldown, no variation in the order.

I believe there is no way to improve the matrix more because the image looks pretty good with good data share between i and p frames keeping same datarate high in low light and death chart test is ok. the quantization and the inter/intra design in the matrix was carefully adjusted. also to completely remove the diagonal rain problem the deblocking tables must be tweaked and gh1 firmware does not allow to do this.

• GH1 apefos advanced 1080 plus 720 qp4-51 gop 10-13-20-26

Now the matrix are fine tuned for perfect stability in death chart. the diagonal rain is solved in 1080. in 720 it only shows up in low light high iso. image quality is great in good light with details and also in low light. the matrix advanced/plus together with qp4-51 makes the low light datarate to be the same as good light and minimize posterization keeping good texture, this is amazing achievement, thanks to @humpman

There is no empty frames in death chart or low light in 1080 and 720 for pal and ntsc.

works ok in the grass.

24p is wrapped in 60i, 25p is wrapped in 50i, this is for best stability, needs pulldown removal in post, easy to do.

setG is a little lower datarate compared to setH, try setH first, both have same gop, same matrix, same qp.

gh1_apefos_advanced-1080_plus-720_qp4-51.zip
  • I believe I found the almost perfect patch for the GH1. It keeps the datarate high in low light!!! There is no diagonal rain problem in 1080, and works for pal and ntsc.

It is a very careful different tweaked matrix for 1080 and 720 and best gop configuration. I am calling it "advanced plus matrix"

There is no empty frames in death chart or low light in 1080 and 720 for pal and ntsc.

24p is wrapped in 60i, 25p is wrapped in 50i, this is for best stability, needs pulldown removal in post, easy to do.

the setG is a little lower datarate compared to setH, try setH first.

Enjoy!!!

edit post: in next post below a better version is uploaded, go for it.

gh1_apefos_advanced-plus.zip
  • new matrix plus design inspired on the original gh1 matrix from panasonic and in the end gh2 matrix:

setg 40Mbps, seth 43.5Mbps

best gop settings for image quality

gh1_matrix-plus_g40_h43.5.zip
  • @knojow thanks for the test, I hope it can give you good images

@yskunto the original panasonic matrix is already good. it does a good share of data between the I and P frames keeping a good size for both. the gop 10 for wrapped 24p and gop 20 for 60p improves the low light a little bit removing some posterization in dark areas. there is no way to lower the gop for pal, it must be 13 for wrapped 25p and 26 for 50p. there is no need to change the constant values, limit, qp and matrix, so the user file is not needed. the last two uploads I did are ok. using it with the exposure trick from dvxuser forum can give decent low light performance up to iso 1600. iso 3200 is too much for the gh1.

• @apefos, how will you rate your patch with the well established GH1 Peak Reliability 75Mbps? Is there any reason why you exclude the @humpman 's user.ini file?

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/334/gh1-75mbps-peak-reliability-setting-v2-update/p1
  • The lower one is stable. Normal settings with iso 1600 spanning. iso 3200 with high shorter do not. On camera screen image looks good but did not review on bigger screen yet.

• GH1 cannot be better than this, stable in all recording modes, good enough image quality in all iso, good light, low light (there is no user file here, just the patch because this patch does not use the user file):

second upload has gop10 for wrapped 24p and gop20 for 60p, for better low light performance,

the third upload has a little lower datarate,

using the trick from these two topics you can get excelent images in low light high iso:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?243995-GH-1-GH-13-Fixed-Pattern-Noise-Breakthrough

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?242979-Shooting-video-at-night-with-the-GH2

gh1_apefos.zip
    656B
    gh1_apefos_gop10-13-20-26.zip
    656B
    gh1_apefos_little-lower.zip
    424B
  • here are four patches, variants from ipx8.

they are an attempt to increase the datarate and lower the gop to try to keep the frames size under the constant values for both 1080 and 720. lowering gop too much can make the I frames small and bad quality, so they needs tests in death chart and in low light iso 1600 to perceive the frames size, image quality and stability.

setf and setg are 40Mbps with overall 42 and video buffer 50.

the setf is gop 10 - 8 - 8 - 7

the setg is gop 6 - 5 - 6 - 5

seth and seti are 43.5Mbps with overall 45.5 and video buffer 50

the seth is gop 10 - 8 - 8 - 7

the seti is gop 6 - 5 - 6 - 5

ipx8_f-g.zip
    ipx8_h-i.zip
  • f17.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 709K
    f8.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 896K
  • the patches and user file below are revised and correct. if they do not work, so I will need the GH1 body to do tests...

ip8x_abcde_correct.zip
  • Pay attention: there was some typo error in the matrix, the only zip file with correct matrix is the "ip8x_abcde.zip" in previous post. All other user ini files in this topic are incorrect.

• Please use the last upload called ip8x_abcde, there was typo error in the matrix and now it is correct.

After more research I think the patches below can be stable for all recording modes, ntsc and pal.

all patches are: FHD/SH=32Mbps, H=28Mbps, L=24Mbps, overall 34Mbps, video buffer 40Mbps,

for 24p and 25p all the five patches are the same, wrapped in interlaced, default gops, default constant

for 720p the differences are:

in setA gops for 720p are default and constant for 720p was increased to 460800

in setB gops for 720p was lowered to 15 and 13 and constant for 720p was increased to 460800

in setC gops for 720p was lowered to 15 and 13 and constant for 720p is default

in setD gops for 720p was lowered to 12 and 10 and constant for 720p was increased to 460800

in setE gops for 720p was lowered to 12 and 10 and constant for 720p is default

These differences are for pursue the best stable 720p. When doing maths for 1080p considering the default constant value and default gop length I perceived that the I frames can be 8x bigger than P frames. To get same thing for 720p the five options was created to try. These patches are an attempt to keep the frames size under the stable limits.

I do not have the GH1 to do tests, but considering the research about previous patches development, the GH2 knlowledge and the math calculations, I believe that the setE can be the best one. I believe it can keep the frames size under the default constant values, so maybe it will be stable for both 1080p and 720p. Lowering the 720p gop length is the trick I am using to lower the I frames size, in 1080p the maths shows that the default gop is good for this.

Please use the last upload called ip8x_abcde, there was typo error in the matrix and now it is correct.

gh1_apefos_stable_attempt.zip
    gh1_apefos_stable_attempt_b-c.zip
    gh1_apefos_stable_attempt_d-e.zip
    ip8x_abcde.zip
  • @Aria thanks, looking forward to your tests.

• @apefos, I will try to do some tests later this week. I have a job that I've got to do 1st.

• 2.5x datarate patches: (inspired on the "C" settings from long time ago which was a high stable patch at that moment)

setA and set B are:

FHD/SH = 40Mbps, H = 32Mbps, L = 24Mbps, Overall = 44Mbps, Video Buffer = 50Mbps

matrix and qp customized for GH1 using The End NR4 GH2 matrix as a base

setB is using Panasonic original constants and limit

SetA is using custom constants and limit (2.5x the original in similar increasing compared to datarate):

constant for 1080p = 1944000

constant for 720p = 863000

limit setting = 1280000

2.5x_GH1.zip