Personal View site logo
GH1 apefos patches
  • GH1 apefos patches: custom matrix and qp for 1080 and 720, matrix design is customized for GH1 from The End NR4 GH2 patches

setE = 24p 60p, FHD/SH 32Mbps (36Mbps Overall), H 28Mbps, L 24Mbps (24p wrapped in 60i needs pulldown in post production)

setF = 24p 60p, FHD/SH 32Mbps (34Mbps Overall), H 28Mbps, L 24Mbps (24p wrapped in 60i needs pulldown in post production)

(setE and SetF is improved for 24p and 60p but also works for 25p inside 50i and for 50p)

setI = 25p 50p, FHD/SH 32Mbps (36Mbps Overall), H 28Mbps, L 24Mbps (25p is native)

setJ = 25p 50p, FHD/SH 32Mbps (34Mbps Overall), H 28Mbps, L 24Mbps (25p is native)

(setI and setJ can have bug in 24p, but can work good for 25p, 50p and 60p)

Overall is the datarate peak, considering 34 and 36, one of them will be more stable, please try both

Put user.ini, patches, ptool and firmware in same folder to create the hacked firmwares

Enjoy

• 58 Replies sorted by
  • Versions with mid and higher constants - experimental

mid constants versions:

constant for 1080p = 1572864

constant for 720p = 786432

higher constants versions:

constant for 1080p = 2097152

constant for 720p = 1048576

only use these if patches from previous post make camera stop recording, try mid constants first.

gh1_higher_constants.zip
    gh1_mid_constants.zip
  • Versions with mid constants and limit setting - experimental

constant for 1080p = 1572864

constant for 720p = 786432

limit setting = 1048576

mid-constants_limit-seting.zip
  • Versions with double values for constants and limit setting - experimental

constant for 1080p = 1555200

constant for 720p = 691200

limit setting 1024000

gh1_constants_limit-setting_double.zip
  • hello @konjow @eyenorth @jleo @Aria @Futurity

please, can you give some feedback about the patches in first post of this topic? they are the best tweaked patches until now, no need to try all of them, just one... thanks.

• I do not need 24fps. My Gh1 was not spanning and freeze in forest till 2 days ago. Im happy enough with camera which I'm not using anyway:). I will test it if I have time, Thanks for your work anyway.

• these patches can give you stable recording in all modes, not just 24p.

• How do you know it's stable when you do not own a GH1?

• I did all carefully using research about previous GH1 patches and previous knowledge from GH2. So I believe they are correct. But to know this for sure the patches needs tests. Better thing would be GH1 owners do tests, we are a community and basic idea in a community is cooperation.

• 2.5x datarate patches: (inspired on the "C" settings from long time ago which was a high stable patch at that moment)

setA and set B are:

FHD/SH = 40Mbps, H = 32Mbps, L = 24Mbps, Overall = 44Mbps, Video Buffer = 50Mbps

matrix and qp customized for GH1 using The End NR4 GH2 matrix as a base

setB is using Panasonic original constants and limit

SetA is using custom constants and limit (2.5x the original in similar increasing compared to datarate):

constant for 1080p = 1944000

constant for 720p = 863000

limit setting = 1280000

2.5x_GH1.zip
  • @apefos, I will try to do some tests later this week. I have a job that I've got to do 1st.

• @Aria thanks, looking forward to your tests.

• Please use the last upload called ip8x_abcde, there was typo error in the matrix and now it is correct.

After more research I think the patches below can be stable for all recording modes, ntsc and pal.

all patches are: FHD/SH=32Mbps, H=28Mbps, L=24Mbps, overall 34Mbps, video buffer 40Mbps,

for 24p and 25p all the five patches are the same, wrapped in interlaced, default gops, default constant

for 720p the differences are:

in setA gops for 720p are default and constant for 720p was increased to 460800

in setB gops for 720p was lowered to 15 and 13 and constant for 720p was increased to 460800

in setC gops for 720p was lowered to 15 and 13 and constant for 720p is default

in setD gops for 720p was lowered to 12 and 10 and constant for 720p was increased to 460800

in setE gops for 720p was lowered to 12 and 10 and constant for 720p is default

These differences are for pursue the best stable 720p. When doing maths for 1080p considering the default constant value and default gop length I perceived that the I frames can be 8x bigger than P frames. To get same thing for 720p the five options was created to try. These patches are an attempt to keep the frames size under the stable limits.

I do not have the GH1 to do tests, but considering the research about previous patches development, the GH2 knlowledge and the math calculations, I believe that the setE can be the best one. I believe it can keep the frames size under the default constant values, so maybe it will be stable for both 1080p and 720p. Lowering the 720p gop length is the trick I am using to lower the I frames size, in 1080p the maths shows that the default gop is good for this.

Please use the last upload called ip8x_abcde, there was typo error in the matrix and now it is correct.

gh1_apefos_stable_attempt.zip
    gh1_apefos_stable_attempt_b-c.zip
    gh1_apefos_stable_attempt_d-e.zip
    ip8x_abcde.zip
  • Pay attention: there was some typo error in the matrix, the only zip file with correct matrix is the "ip8x_abcde.zip" in previous post. All other user ini files in this topic are incorrect.

• the patches and user file below are revised and correct. if they do not work, so I will need the GH1 body to do tests...

ip8x_abcde_correct.zip
  • f17.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 709K
    f8.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 896K
  • here are four patches, variants from ipx8.

they are an attempt to increase the datarate and lower the gop to try to keep the frames size under the constant values for both 1080 and 720. lowering gop too much can make the I frames small and bad quality, so they needs tests in death chart and in low light iso 1600 to perceive the frames size, image quality and stability.

setf and setg are 40Mbps with overall 42 and video buffer 50.

the setf is gop 10 - 8 - 8 - 7

the setg is gop 6 - 5 - 6 - 5

seth and seti are 43.5Mbps with overall 45.5 and video buffer 50

the seth is gop 10 - 8 - 8 - 7

the seti is gop 6 - 5 - 6 - 5

ipx8_f-g.zip
    ipx8_h-i.zip
  • GH1 cannot be better than this, stable in all recording modes, good enough image quality in all iso, good light, low light (there is no user file here, just the patch because this patch does not use the user file):

second upload has gop10 for wrapped 24p and gop20 for 60p, for better low light performance,

the third upload has a little lower datarate,

using the trick from these two topics you can get excelent images in low light high iso:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?243995-GH-1-GH-13-Fixed-Pattern-Noise-Breakthrough

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?242979-Shooting-video-at-night-with-the-GH2

gh1_apefos.zip
    656B
    gh1_apefos_gop10-13-20-26.zip
    656B
    gh1_apefos_little-lower.zip
    424B
  • The lower one is stable. Normal settings with iso 1600 spanning. iso 3200 with high shorter do not. On camera screen image looks good but did not review on bigger screen yet.

• @apefos, how will you rate your patch with the well established GH1 Peak Reliability 75Mbps? Is there any reason why you exclude the @humpman 's user.ini file?

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/334/gh1-75mbps-peak-reliability-setting-v2-update/p1
  • @knojow thanks for the test, I hope it can give you good images

@yskunto the original panasonic matrix is already good. it does a good share of data between the I and P frames keeping a good size for both. the gop 10 for wrapped 24p and gop 20 for 60p improves the low light a little bit removing some posterization in dark areas. there is no way to lower the gop for pal, it must be 13 for wrapped 25p and 26 for 50p. there is no need to change the constant values, limit, qp and matrix, so the user file is not needed. the last two uploads I did are ok. using it with the exposure trick from dvxuser forum can give decent low light performance up to iso 1600. iso 3200 is too much for the gh1.

• new matrix plus design inspired on the original gh1 matrix from panasonic and in the end gh2 matrix:

setg 40Mbps, seth 43.5Mbps

best gop settings for image quality

gh1_matrix-plus_g40_h43.5.zip
  • I believe I found the almost perfect patch for the GH1. It keeps the datarate high in low light!!! There is no diagonal rain problem in 1080, and works for pal and ntsc.

It is a very careful different tweaked matrix for 1080 and 720 and best gop configuration. I am calling it "advanced plus matrix"

There is no empty frames in death chart or low light in 1080 and 720 for pal and ntsc.

24p is wrapped in 60i, 25p is wrapped in 50i, this is for best stability, needs pulldown removal in post, easy to do.

the setG is a little lower datarate compared to setH, try setH first.

Enjoy!!!

edit post: in next post below a better version is uploaded, go for it.

gh1_apefos_advanced-plus.zip
  • GH1 apefos advanced 1080 plus 720 qp4-51 gop 10-13-20-26

Now the matrix are fine tuned for perfect stability in death chart. the diagonal rain is solved in 1080. in 720 it only shows up in low light high iso. image quality is great in good light with details and also in low light. the matrix advanced/plus together with qp4-51 makes the low light datarate to be the same as good light and minimize posterization keeping good texture, this is amazing achievement, thanks to @humpman

There is no empty frames in death chart or low light in 1080 and 720 for pal and ntsc.

works ok in the grass.

24p is wrapped in 60i, 25p is wrapped in 50i, this is for best stability, needs pulldown removal in post, easy to do.

setG is a little lower datarate compared to setH, try setH first, both have same gop, same matrix, same qp.

gh1_apefos_advanced-1080_plus-720_qp4-51.zip
  • The maximum iso for the gh1 is iso 1000. it cleans ok with neatvideo and looks like iso 100 after denoise. from iso 1250 and above the sensor starts to show ugly horizontal pattern which does not clean ok and also the color starts to desaturate. to avoid using neatvideo the iso needs to be 640 and below, better 400 and below.

using iso 1000 and below the creative movie mode works good, there is no need to use the exposure trick from dvxuser forum to avoid horizontal pulsing banding.

the vertical stripes can be minimized with a good white balance and using a fast lens with focal reducer, more light reaching the sensor helps minimize the vertical lines, also it is important to avoid underexposure.

the diagonal rain problem is minimized by the patches above in last upload, but not completely avoided, some very small amount almost unnoticeable is present. so converting the videos with 5dtorgb is welcome before editing.

the pulldown removal is easy to do for 24p, all clips shows the same kind of pulldown, no variation in the order.

I believe there is no way to improve the matrix more because the image looks pretty good with good data share between i and p frames keeping same datarate high in low light and death chart test is ok. the quantization and the inter/intra design in the matrix was carefully adjusted. also to completely remove the diagonal rain problem the deblocking tables must be tweaked and gh1 firmware does not allow to do this.

• it seems that the native 24p is working without empty frames... no... it crashes in the grass.